PDA

View Full Version : "GU Fans Spoiled" Discussion

ZagAddict
12-19-2012, 08:29 PM
There was a discussion tonight during the Zag game telecast regarding Zag fans being spoiled. I don't buy the argument that Zag fans are spoiled and expect too much from this program. I think the discussion should be what level of program does Gonzaga want to aspire to be.

If Gonzaga wants to be mentioned with teams like Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, St. Joe's, Xavier and other teams that are capable of having 25+ win seasons (but not perenially)... then yes Zag fans are spoiled.

If Gonzags wants to be mentioned with Duke, Kansas, UNC, and other teams perenially fighting for a Final 4 Season... then no Zag fans have the right to be disappointed when the Zags get bounced the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

In my opinion it's not about the number of wins, but more about the company you want to be associated with. During the telecast, the announcers stated that Gonzaga is among Kansas and Duke for consecutive 25+ wins the last 4 or 5 seasons (I can't remember the exact number). I would sacrafice having 25+ win seasons that include beating up on a perenial weak conference (good for 12-13 wins), and have people mention the Gonzaga basketball program with the likes of Duke, Kansas, and UNC because of their performance in big-time games (top BCS schools) and the NCAA Tournament.

Call me spoiled, but I hope Gonzaga aspires to be a program that can be competitive with top 10 teams in the nation and get past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament more than they have shown. I love the Zags, but don't consider myself spoiled. At least not yet...

bartruff1
12-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I suspect that the fans over 40 are not only very surprised but also very pleased about what the team has accomplished and are enjoying every minute of it. Just based upon the people I know.

GeorgiaZagFan
12-19-2012, 09:07 PM
.... and have people mention the Gonzaga basketball program with the likes of Duke, Kansas, and UNC because of their performance in big-time games (top BCS schools) and the NCAA Tournament.

I'm sorry, but Gonzaga will NEVER reach the level of those programs....even with the recent success it will be very hard to get the top recruits to come to Spokane and play in the WCC. They may get one occasionally and they may occasionally make a run in March like Butler and Davidson...but to be the equal to Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU etc.....IF that is the only thing that will make you satisfied with the program then you might be a bit spoiled ...with all that being said, I do understand the frustrations of some fans....the Zags have reached a level just a notch below those and have sustained it for a number of years...feels stagnant and time to move up....

Pargo the Destroyer
12-19-2012, 09:28 PM
I suspect that the fans over 40 are not only very surprised but also very pleased about what the team has accomplished and are enjoying every minute of it. Just based upon the people I know.

Then they should show it by not sitting on their hands when yet attend the game. That gym was embarrassingly quiet.

GoZags
12-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Then they should show it by not sitting on their hands when yet attend the game. That gym was embarrassingly quiet.

Tonight was an OOC game against an inferior opponent. It didn't come close to a "big" game.

You're expecting (or hoping for) way too much if you think older alums should act like the Kennel Club or make a lot of noise at every home game.

History shows that during big games, or during crunch time in any close game the entire gym rocks .... not just the student section.

It's my opinion that the Gonzaga fans that attend the games are anything but an embarrassment.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Tonight was an OOC game against an inferior opponent. It didn't come close to a "big" game.

You're expecting (or hoping for) way too much if you think older alums should act like the Kennel Club or make a lot of noise at every home game.

History shows that during big games, or during crunch time in any close game the entire gym rocks .... not just the student section.

It's my opinion that the Gonzaga fans that attend the games are anything but an embarrassment.

I never said "act like the kennel club". When I can hear coach arguing with a ref thru my tv with 6,000 people around him that should say it all. Horrible atmosphere.

spike_jr
12-19-2012, 10:45 PM
I never said "act like the kennel club". When I can hear coach arguing with a ref thru my tv with 6,000 people around him that should say it all. Horrible atmosphere.

Then don't schedule Campbell at home and especially during break!

Zag 77
12-19-2012, 11:09 PM
If you followed GU basketball prior to 1999, you are overjoyed and proud. The younger fans have less patience based on less personal context for where we were and where we are now.

Zaga
12-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Definitely agree with Zag77. Could not say it any better

cjm720
12-20-2012, 08:36 AM
I feel very spoiled (and proud) to be a Zag fanatic. Of course, my senior year was the first year ever in the tournament (1995).

That said, I'm convinced there's very little chance for us to compete with Duke, Kansas, etc. or for a national title while in the WCC. It drags us down and leaves us ill-prepared for the tournament.

webspinnre
12-20-2012, 08:49 AM
I liked Richard's comments on this. He agreed that we're spoiled, but also commented that its far better to be in a situation like we are, that have higher expectations, than just sitting around and being thrilled with the occasional NCAA appearance or conference tourney win. I'm spoiled by making the NCAA tourney every year, and enjoy being able to have heightened expectations. My goal every year is the Sweet 16, or to at least have a good shot at it.

77Zag
12-20-2012, 08:51 AM
If you followed GU basketball prior to 1999, you are overjoyed and proud. The younger fans have less patience based on less personal context for where we were and where we are now.

Bingo --- spot on.

Odd game to see on TV - pretty much like watching a B movie knowing the outcome and the actors were just walking through dress rehearsal.

Still my favorite team --
Go Zags!!

spike_jr
12-20-2012, 09:02 AM

+1

I remember going to games in the Kennel back in the mid 80s to the early 90s. I walked into the games WITHOUT a ticket. There were maybe 500 people total in attending - including that students. Often times, the upper bleachers on one or both sides of the building were not even deployed, let alone used. I knew many of the players and used to ask them, jokingly, if you are allowed to touch the rim in the WCC. Ah yes, we have a long ways, but Duke or NC we are not, and most likely will never be.

CB4
12-20-2012, 09:58 AM

Or young people have less patience by their very nature. But now we're splitting hairs.

titopoet
12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry, but Gonzaga will NEVER reach the level of those programs....even with the recent success it will be very hard to get the top recruits to come to Spokane and play in the WCC.

Never say never as the much quoted saying goes. The possibilities in a new league that focuses on basketball may offer a chance to move into that level.

Spoiled for me is not hoping for success of always winning and getting to the FF. Spoiled is expecting and then not looking at reality and complaining that is not happening. Considering the size, budget and location of GU (away from big media markets) the fact they stay relevant is nothing short of miraculous.

Seriously. Even Butler is in a big media market in the heart of basketball country. In can be argued that what the staff done with its resources has been more successful than the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world when you factor those three limitations of size, budget and location.

If Few can move the program to that level, then he would move into the conversation of one of greatest college coaches of all time. What he has done already puts him in the neighborhood.

zag944
12-20-2012, 10:26 AM
It took some very hard work by a lot of dedicated coaches and players to get this team to break out. Since, the community, the fans, and university have supported the heck out of this team.

They have a beautiful newish arena. A quarter of it is filled with a rocking crowd of students (coming in in record enrollment numbers with increasing tution costs) who camp out twice per game, sometimes in tents, to be there. The rest is filled with people donating significant amounts of money to the university in addition to buying a pricey season ticket. Then there's a big old waiting list behind them.

Fitz, Monson, Few, Grier, Santangelo, Richie, Casey, and dozens more gave us a wonderful gift, and I think that gift has been nutured really well so it can keep on giving.

Not spoiled. Extremely grateful.

TexasZagFan
12-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Then bring back pre-game keggers for the geezers...that's how we got up for home games during the Buoncristiani era. :p

TexasZagFan
12-20-2012, 11:03 AM

Dadgummit, these young whippersnappers just don't appreciate how far we've come. Just another example of the "sense of entitlement" that I see in today's younger set.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Then bring back pre-game keggers for the geezers...that's how we got up for home games during the Buoncristiani era. :p

Isnt that what the bulldog club is for? Free beer....etc. I think it just puts everyone to sleep nowadays.

Oregonzagnut
12-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Dadgummit, these young whippersnappers just don't appreciate how far we've come. Just another example of the "sense of entitlement" that I see in today's younger set.

"We're doomed I tell ya."

Ezag
12-20-2012, 12:57 PM
we will always suck until we win it all! is that spoiled!! :vomit-smiley-007:

GeorgiaZagFan
12-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Fitz, Monson, Few, Grier, Santangelo, Richie, Casey, and dozens more gave us a wonderful gift, and I think that gift has been nutured really well so it can keep on giving.

Did you mean "neutered" or "nurtured" here ...just want to clarify before I go "flaming" your butt :D

GeorgiaZagFan
12-20-2012, 01:09 PM
we will always suck until we win it all! is that spoiled!! :vomit-smiley-007:

No ..but very realistic :)

zag944
12-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Did you mean "neutered" or "nurtured" here ...just want to clarify before I go "flaming" your butt :D

Nurtured.

I better learn to spell before I get my butt flamed.

MDABE80
12-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Admittedly I didn't see the entire game. What I did see though, didn't look like a top 10 team. Not sure what's happened to the young guards....or Sam.
Nonetheless, we all hope these boys live up to their talent. Something doesn't seem right on this team these days.
We can only give them support (cyber support at that).

Merry Christmas to all of you. Remember, this is just a hobby like thingie. We love the school and we love the kids. Some games will be better than others.

FrancisTheGoat
12-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Want to know wat is spoiled? Everyone's cereal. Becaus i peed in it.

PS- Everyone stop complaining. We has not winned only 1 of times we played. Complains when we are losing all da games.

jazzdelmar
12-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Admittedly I didn't see the entire game. What I did see though, didn't look like a top 10 team. Not sure what's happened to the young guards....or Sam.
Nonetheless, we all hope these boys live up to their talent. Something doesn't seem right on this team these days.
We can only give them support (cyber support at that).

Merry Christmas to all of you. Remember, this is just a hobby like thingie. We love the school and we love the kids. Some games will be better than others.

Game is re broadcast tonite on time Warner sports in Southern Cal if that's where you are holidaying, Doc. 8pm.

godfamilycountryzags
12-20-2012, 05:47 PM
SPOILED!

A team that is 11-1, ranked #14, has defeated 5 BCS teams by a average in double figures, 2 seven+ footers who are special, 2 above average guards who are 12 games into their soph year, another guy on all the preseason award lists, and every other post is about how bad the team or so and so plays or what glaring weakness the team or so and so has. SPOILED, no way, what a crazy question.

MDABE80
12-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Game is re broadcast tonite on time Warner sports in Southern Cal if that's where you are holidaying, Doc. 8pm.

Next week Jazz. Selling a company. Need some sun.