PDA

View Full Version : Katz blurb on Olynyk

Ekrub
12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
• Gonzaga coach Mark Few said Kelly Olynyk took his redshirt season incredibly seriously, charting plays and seeing how hard it was to be a coach. He learned to appreciate the game even more than he had. And it shows. I'm not sure a player has made as much use of the redshirt season as Olynyk did a year ago. He has become a go-to player for the Zags and was as impressive a frontcourt player in the win over Kansas State in Seattle as anyone else playing over the weekend.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=katz_andy&id=8754395

madness
12-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Crazily enough, you could make an argument that Kelly is a more Dynamic and Complete player than National POY Cody Zeller. Kelly's rebounding needs to progress, but offensively his range and power is becoming NCAA elite.

Pleasant Peninsula
12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
you could make an argument that Kelly is a more Dynamic and Complete player than National POY Cody Zeller.

You could make that argument. But it would be absurd. And wrong. And would have everyone with any sense laughing at you.

primal23
12-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Kelly has been quite a surprise this year. Hearing all of last year, and over the summer about his improvements, I was cautiously optimistic. He has blown that right out the window.

Zagcity
12-17-2012, 11:52 AM
You could make that argument. But it would be absurd. And wrong. And would have everyone with any sense laughing at you.

Only Butler fans be laughing at this point!

MickMick
12-17-2012, 12:44 PM
KO is playing as well as anyone right now.

Brandon Paul is the best player in the B1G.

zagco
12-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Zagco is disappointed that redshirts are not more common than he sees in college basketball, in terms of using them to develop and learn. He has seen a ton of kids in football use redshirts and even greyshirts to transform themselves into something that would not have been if they had simply tried playing thru. There is too much immediacy in basketball, including lack of redshirts, transfers, etc.

Zag79
12-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Please explain. Kelly is playing at an elite level right now. Statistically, he is averaging more points per 40 minutes and averages only 1.5 rebounds less than Cody. He shoots at a higher clip from the field and the stripe. If Kelly can keep playing at this pace, he will easily be compared to Indiana's big guy. And no one would be laughing. :cheers:

bartruff1
12-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Please explain. Kelly is playing at an elite level right now. Statistically, he is averaging more points per 40 minutes and averages only 1.5 rebounds less than Cody. He shoots at a higher clip from the field and the stripe. If Kelly can keep playing at this pace, he will easily be compared to Indiana's big guy. And no one would be laughing. :cheers:......He hasn't exactly done this against chopped liver... I am not going to suggest he is as good as Cody....but laughing ....??? If he would just cut that hair...I think he could get there !!!

DADoZAG
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
‘Been a long time supporter of what Kelly WILL be. He needs to continue to work on attacking the defensive glass. ‘Started working the offensive glass his soph year, and is getting better on the defensive end each game. He still seems a little slow to set up to block out, and slow to release and attack the rebound.

I loved the dunk and am willing to overlook the one second of human weakness following. It is great he is finally decided to be +7’0 on the game floor. More, more, more of that! Of course, it would have been even better if he hadn’t travelled going in for that dunk, but that’s just being picky.

Now, if he can also learn to dish from the paint instead of taking on double or triple coverage with the dribble….

Gotta walk before you can fly, and Kelly will be flying high come June of 2014.

AND KEEP THE HAIR!

Go ZAGS!

bartruff1
12-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Just think how good Morrison might have been if he had kept that scrubbed look he had as a frosh....I am not even going to talk about Steven !!!! Kidding....just kidding ....

DixieZag
12-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I saw a "local" G-Prep grad who is currently playing for the Zags at the grocery store last night - - simply made eye contact and said "tell Kelly that his T was worth it" and this young man (with local ties) laughed very hard and said "we all thought so" - his mother rolled her eyes at him.

Pretty nice kid, he will go far in the world, I think.

Kelly is now getting everything out of his 7 foot frame. It is a wonderful story and a great testament to the patience required to take a red-shirt mid stream. He is earning the future that is opening up.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Keep the hair. He's in college afterall. He'll have plenty of time later in life for a boring haircut.

bartruff1
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
No, it's like Sampson. He cannot cut that hair....the kids were crew cut and clean shaven with no decorations other than what their mothers gave them.....of course we only won 10 or so games a year...

madness
12-17-2012, 05:05 PM

I need to watch more Indiana games (Caveat, I watch a ton of games for betting purposes), but I honestly do not see much of a skillset difference between Cody and Kelly at this stage of the season.

Just my opinion

Pig
12-17-2012, 05:42 PM
The whole kelly argument is pretty ridiculous. The kid is playing well and as a die hard zag fan and graduate i am thrilled. HOWEVER, zeller is heads and tails the player kelly is currently. Zeller has been doing his work against some very good competition and does it night in and night out. Further, he will play in a much better conference, before we get to carried away lets just be happy kelly has improved and not knight him quite yet.

bartruff1
12-17-2012, 06:32 PM
I need to watch more Indiana games (Caveat, I watch a ton of games for betting purposes), but I honestly do not see much of a skillset difference between Cody and Kelly at this stage of the season.

Just my opinion It is kinda hard to watch Indiana... their schedule to date has not been all that impressive...a win over Georgetown and NC....and ....??? Then there is Butler. No denying Cody's skill, but it is fair (hardly rediculous) to compare the two at this point...IMHO as always... Kelly is a remarkable athlete and is still learning the game...his potential is high.

BTB
12-17-2012, 08:19 PM
The whole kelly argument is pretty ridiculous. The kid is playing well and as a die hard zag fan and graduate i am thrilled. HOWEVER, zeller is heads and tails the player kelly is currently. Zeller has been doing his work against some very good competition and does it night in and night out. Further, he will play in a much better conference, before we get to carried away lets just be happy kelly has improved and not knight him quite yet.

Kelly does it night in and night out too so far too! When has he not produced this year?? Nearly every game has been better than the last. I'll give you that he has played against better competition than us, but not THAT much better honestly

MickMick
12-17-2012, 08:22 PM

Not ridiculous. KO is playing as well as any center in the country including Zeller. Throw Withey and Plumlee into the mix and I would say those four are playing the best right now.

You are caught up on SI covers and ESPN blogs. You bought the sales pitch. Objectively, you could swap any of those players on their respective teams and they would not miss a beat.

Olynyk has been doing his best work against some very good competition and does it night in and night out. Further, conference play has not even begun yet and can't be used for comparison, so before we get to carried away lets just be happy kelly has improved and not call him second to anybody quite yet

fixed

Zag79
12-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Kelly's numbers are basically the same, even better in some areas. The kid is balling right now, on the level of any big in the country.

Ekrub
12-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Will someone post/summarize the insider article on ESPN about KO?

bostonzagfan
12-19-2012, 08:59 PM
would be nice if people wouldn't make these comparisons.

"(gonzaga player x) is as good as/better than (insanely good player y)"

"no way, (insanely good player y) is much better than (gonzaga player x)"

would be nice to just enjoy the success of someone for once.