PDA

View Full Version : AP Poll: #14 again

Angelo Roncalli
12-17-2012, 09:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

#14 in the coaches' poll, too.

Hoopaholic
12-17-2012, 10:03 AM
about right...some doggone good teams ahead of us......

sittingon50
12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
You're welcome.

Kiddwell
12-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Some awfully good teams on that list with only one loss. Zags have GOT to take care of business when we host Baylor. If so, some wonderful possibilities open up starting with the Okie State tussle.

:]

Reborn
12-17-2012, 03:09 PM
For me the polls are all about seeding in the NCAA tournament. I think that they do give us a FAIR idea of where we're at. I believe that a good goal for Zags this year is to try to get a three seed this year in the NCAA tournament; and for that to happen we need to finish in the top 12 nationally. Honestly, it's better to be at the other end of the 3 seed, which is the #9 or #10 best team in the country.

So when I look at the polls I like to look at the teams ahead of us, and especially those between 9-12. The first thing I notice is that the remaining OOC games for Gonzaga will be much more difficult than for those teams ahead of us. Right now that is Kansas, Illinois, Cincinatti and Missouri. Minnesota is also ahead of us; so I would want to keep an eye on them. I don't see Kansas slipping much; so I wouldn't expect them to drop much and in fact may even move up in the polls during the year. The big 12 is not a power conference this year. Illinois and Minnesota are in the Big 10, so you can expect them to lose some games, and maybe more than GU will. Cincinnatti is in the Big East and should also lose some games and maybe more than GU will in conference.

I think the key for Gonzaga to move into the top 12 is winning their non conference games against Baylor, Ok State and Butler. We must beat Baylor for sure, as they are not ranked, and then I would say we need to at least win one of the games between us and Ok State and us and Butler.

Go Zags!!!

Baldwinzag
12-17-2012, 03:22 PM
#2. Gonzaga (10-1).

Why it's here: Gonzaga's getting better and better because Elias Harris seems to be rising with each game. He's averaging a career-best 15.9 points per game, leading the team, and also snaring eight boards and almost two steals per. Harris is a coach's dream so far: as a senior, playing well, improving his draft stock and playing within the team's formula.

Something you should know: The Bulldogs have played seven games against the KenPom.com top 100, winning six of them. That's better than any other team on this list both in games played and games won.

An interesting blurb on former Zag, Grant Gibbs (Creighton ranked #1).

"In his last 102 minutes of basketball, [Grant] Gibbs has 27 assists and just one turnover, which is probably why his assist-to-turnover ratio right now is 7.4:1." :eek:

Mid-Major Power Pyramid HERE (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21411868/midmajor-power-pyramid-week-three).