PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few show

adoptedzag
12-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Mark just pretty much said we're leaving the WCC, if you read between the lines.

"Gonzaga is taking a great approach, from our president, our AD..."

"We're gonna do what's best for Gonzaga Univeristy"

"We've built this thing into a nat'l program, which makes it attractive to other leagues"

"That being said, we've had a great run in the WCC and it's been a great place for us to launch our program".

So.... there's that.

gonstu
12-16-2012, 08:52 PM
:drool:

MDABE80
12-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Mark just pretty much said we're leaving the WCC, if you read between the lines.

"We've built this thing into a nat'l program, which makes it attractive to other leagues"

"That being said, we've had a great run in the WCC and it's been a great place for us to launch our program".

So.... there's that.

Seems a bit premature.

adoptedzag
12-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Those are direct quotes, so it may be premature to speculate, but the language is there.

montanazag88
12-16-2012, 09:36 PM
....which conferences make the most sense for GU, if not WCC?

SWZag
12-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Would not be impressed with any move. It's going to come back and haunt.

SWZag

MDABE80
12-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Those are direct quotes, so it may be premature to speculate, but the language is there.

No...it seems a bit premature for HIM to talk about this.
As far as I know, it's all up in the air. Such a dramatic statement seems unusual at this point in the season.

ZagsGoZags
12-17-2012, 12:54 AM
it all depends on if he made these comments as a trial balloon
or
to leak the image that it is a probability

I suspect the latter

zagapotomus
12-17-2012, 03:35 AM
Sounds like he'd make a great politician.

titopoet
12-17-2012, 04:41 AM

So.... there's that.

I think that it has been a done deal for awhile. The 7 had already decided to leave probably a few months ago. I am not sure how the details will play out, but the map s already formed; we will only learn what has been decided.

Oregonzagnut
12-17-2012, 04:48 AM
I think the move will have the makings to our program what Minnesota did for Monson.

Once we stop dominating our league and the automatic bid, we risk everything that made us, and possibly makes us what we are. "A national program."

I'm skeptical. Not opposed.

bigblahla
12-17-2012, 05:04 AM
I think the move will have the makings to our program what Minnesota did for Monson.

Once we stop dominating our league and the automatic bid, we risk everything that made us, and possibly makes us what we are. "A national program."

OZN, a fourth place finish in such a league would probably give us a higher seed in the Dance than a WCC championship with a couple of perceived bad losses in conference. Our recruiting base will expand and ESPN will love us as much if not more because we are the Pacific time zone team for the new league. To me the pluses outweigh the minuses but I do like the WCC.

Zags will compete for the title in whatever league we are in. Have faith in Coach and staff they've gotten us this far. :D

From what we've read GU has reached out seeking inclusion in the new league to be formed. What we don't know is if there has been some type of response to that gesture. However, it does sound like a decision on a course of action has been made.

Strange days ahead WCC, Big West or Big East or whatever lies in between it doesn't matter to me. "Zag For Life" means just that. :clap:

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagdawg
12-17-2012, 06:25 AM
If the university is looking at it and has the support of the administration from top to bottom -- i'm thinking they might be a bit more in the loop than we fans.

They know what they have been discussing behind closed doors and if it makes sense for the school and to them they can make it happen.

They will weigh out the pros and cons before they make their decision-- unless they have done this already and that is what Few is hinting at for us.

Go Zags.

ZagLawGrad
12-17-2012, 06:46 AM

So.... there's that.

Thanks for the report

VaBeachZAG
12-17-2012, 06:53 AM
I can't imagine GU considering any conference move that would not constitute a very significant upgrade from the WCC. That would likely mean conference championships being more difficult to come by. But it should also mean a much better chance of grabbing some of the 4 star recruits out there that seem to always gravitate to the big conferences. Thus, it should all balance out and GU's long term success should not be diminished.

cjm720
12-17-2012, 06:59 AM
I can't imagine GU considering any conference move that would not constitute a very significant upgrade from the WCC. That would likely mean conference championships being more difficult to come by. But it should also mean a much better chance of grabbing some of the 4 star recruits out there that seem to always gravitate to the big conferences. Thus, it should all balance out and GU's long term success should not be diminished.

A few more Ls, but a better chance to recruit players they could get us to the finals. I'm excited.

hooter73
12-17-2012, 07:01 AM

exactly. We wont be the top dogs of our little tiny pond anymore, but will be better off for it. It will change the dynamic of a lot of things, but GU being the bastion of taking the high road will remain. Recruiting will be interesting.

Its funny, as Im thinking about GU leaving the WCC, Im thinking I would probably still watch WCC games now that I've gotten to know the other teams like I have. Might just be the thing the conference needs to reboot a little and the teams can redefine themselves too.

BroncoZAG615
12-17-2012, 07:01 AM

I struggle with the logic in this post. How would Gonzaga moving to a truly national conference strip them of their status as a 'national program'. I

I'm a bit surprised by some people's lack of desire to accept a new challenge. Sure, Gonzaga can keep the status quo and finish atop the WCC while being challenged by one, maybe two, conference programs each year. I see arguments that the WCC is improving but I don't see it and, more importantly, most of the schools in the conference will be stepping stones to bigger and better opportunities.

Gonzaga has established itself as a destination, not a stepping stone and I think it is time, if the opportunity presents itself, to join other like-minded programs. The benefits of this new national conference really do blow my mind. I'd happily take a few conference losses this year and be assured that this team is battle tested heading into the NCAA Tournament.

Many here complain about Gonzaga's domestic recruiting. Joining this new conference would give Mark Few and company the ability to offer West Coast kids an opportunity that no other school on this side of the country can (unless SMC or another west coast school comes along). Prospects will be able to come to Gonzaga and play in a 100% dedicated to basketball conference that gives you the chance to play some of the most historic programs in the nation. Hell, even I could lock up a couple blue-chips with that sales pitch.

I commend Few for his honesty & desire to improve the program.

DixieZag
12-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Just speculating.

Its not like Few to address a topic by shooting from the hip. I agree with those above that it would seem to me that there is more concrete here than we have heard. It may be that they do not want to outwardly state any commitments right before the WCC season - - telling the league that their breadwinner was leaving at the end of the year (maybe 2 - 4 breadwinners, BYU, SMC, LMU) is a little like throwing a very wet blanket on the conference season.

For those longing to stay with the status quo - you have an excellent point about "grass is always greener" and you may even prove to be right. My support for the move is that I think that GU reads the tea leaves as saying that the WCC as we know it (sort of competitive, growing) will no longer exist and will be shrinking in stature/commitment - equally true is that the traditional make-up of college BB will not exist and they need to make a move to keep from giving a lot of ground.

I suspect that they know what they want to do Basketball wise, they are left trying how best to fit the other sports into what they are doing - but, we will not hear about any of it until there is a completed deal on the table.

Hoopaholic
12-17-2012, 07:45 AM
National Basketball Conference...wow who would have dreamnt that we could or would even be considered let alone courted for such a high honor in the world of college hoopes and to possibly align with other similar schools of like educational mindsets.......

GO FOR IT, lets get off the porch and run with the big dogs.....I have 100% faith in GU staff, kids and school to make this a succesful opportunity for the school, community, City of Spokane and the Pacific Northwest.

For me the arguement "grass is greener" is held to those who are constantly looking for another opportunity of same ilk.....this is no way shape or form simply jumping over the fence to eat the SAME BLADE OF GRASS that is on our side of the fence.....

No this is more akin to the cow eating straw in his field and wanting the opportunity to go eat premium, high quality alfalfa with some molasses sprinkled oats.......

gamagin
12-17-2012, 09:08 AM
signaling & posturing than a declaration of secession from the WCC.

It isn't dramatically different, imo, than what MF has chosen to say before.

That is, things are happening, shifts are going on, we're on top of it and we're going to look out for ourselves. We don't plan to get caught up if and when the train leaves the station. To the extent that we can make it happen, we're going to be on board.

Included in self preservation could mean leaving the WCC, depending on what the AD & Admin and advisers come up with. It's all up in the air BUT we're studying and involved in several options.

I do think MF has made it clear change is on the way everywhere and GU plans to be ready & make sure that changes benefit this program, too.

I don't think at this early juncture there is a plan on the table. I think he is saying all plans are on the table.

I think MF is also signaling as strongly as possible that GU's loyalties are, as of now, first and foremost, to take care of itself.

i.e. the WCC cannot count on the status quo, given the techtonic shifts that are brewing in college basketball throughout the country.

titopoet
12-17-2012, 09:10 AM
The question of if Few would more to a power conference to coach has been around for a long time. It might that he does accept the challenge, but by taking the whole Zags program with him. If the Zags find themselves in a power conference that concentrates on basketball where they have more exposure to high level recruits, they set themselves up for long haul. If the Zags make the move, he will leave not only a lasting mark, but a lasting legacy.

Angelo Roncalli
12-17-2012, 09:11 AM
I think MF is also signaling as strongly as possible that GU's loyalties are, as of now, first and foremost, to take care of itself.

i.e. the WCC cannot count on the status quo, given the techtonic shifts that are brewing in college basketball throughout the country.

Word.

BobZag
12-17-2012, 09:27 AM
I invented a new saying this morning. It is--

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

I just thought that up and thought it might apply.

:rolleyes:

gamagin
12-17-2012, 09:37 AM
stealing the idea from Notre Dame, and seeing what BYU is also apparently contemplating, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities to see GU's basketball program exit the WCC.

Among the possibilities might include going independent in some way, joining another league, or join a newly formed amalgamation of some kind that has already been mentioned, like the Big East or its equivalent.

This would be possible while still keeping the rest of GU's many athletic teams & program in the WCC.

ND declared independence in football a long time ago,but the rest of its athletic program remains intact and in a league of its own, as I understand it. Same with BYU & it's fb program.

I think this sort of separation that has been evolving slowly, is now threatening to blow up exponentially and thus has every school in the country looking at their strengths and weaknesses in relation to the inevitable changes that have suddently become imminent.

Bogozags
12-17-2012, 09:44 AM
IMO...The five remaining BCS conferences (ACC, SEC, B1G, BIG12 and PAC12) will at some point breakaway from or have their own NCAA Division for these 64+schools. That being said these BCS schools will continue to dominate recruiting of the five and four star rated players. BCS schools will have tons more money than other schools, because of BCS Bowls that generate $40M-$50M per BCS bowl game. That is soooo much money and BOL schools cannot think of generating that type of TV revenue. It will be difficult to compete with the BCS as money makes the world go round!

With GU's current national exposure, we have a difficult time getting four or five star "US" recruits to visit GU let alone sign on the dotted line. Being a pragmatist, I'm not sold on high level recruits flocking to GU after we move to the C7 or other BOL not because of the school or Coach Few's abilities but rather due to GU's special situation (location, location, location and high academic standards). Then again those high level recruits might well see GU in a better light, only time will tell.

GU's competition in the "new" conference should be a step-up and qualifying for the tourney should be more challenging as well. Depending on the size and quality of the conference teams, multiple tourney bids might be less forth coming.

I really believe we DO NEED to make a change and hopefully to the C7 with other consistently strong basketball programs, so that we can remain relevant on the national scene.

zag944
12-17-2012, 09:51 AM
A lot of people seem to be comparing the WCC to an unknown. The problem with that is the future of the WCC is an unknown too. Changes to the overall college basketball landscape might make it a very bad place for Gonzaga to be.

thespywhozaggedme
12-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Current conference foes: USD, USF, Pacific, Portland

Potential new conference foes: Georgetown, Villanova, Creighton, Xavier, etc.

And the objection is? :confused::confused:

This would be the best move in then history of the program.

rijman
12-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the quotes gamagin. My take on MF's statements isn't that GU is just considering leaving the WCC, but that it's imminent. Given that GU is not a good fit with most conferences they have to be especially interested in the "catholic league" for a perceived good basketball and academic fit. I'm still thinking the MWC and some WCC teams could form a heck of a basketball conference out west, but the academic fit may not be right and there are other issues such as schools with football programs. I am not aware of any other conference move, if one is to be made, that is better for GU than the "catholic league."

sittingon50
12-17-2012, 10:24 AM
If Men's BB pulls out of the WCC, the other sport's get thrown out. Mike Roth stated that some time ago.

"But it would take a change in WCC membership rules to accomodate any such hybrid move by Gonzaga. One of the sports expressly required by the league is basketball.

'My guess is, they're not gonna' let that happen, ' said Roth. 'We lose that vote 7-0.' "

Bravehearts p.171. 2002

Kiddwell
12-17-2012, 10:31 AM
If at some point the entire college basketball landscape becomes a "big boys only" club, that will prove a bad turn of events for the game, IMHO. Part of the fun of the Big Dance is the littler dancers knocking off Kansas, UConn, Villanova, etc. every year.

Every March an entire nation of colleges and universities (as it were) is invited to the dance. People loving big and small programs alike fill out brackets. If this wonderful annual madness gets whittled down to 64 or so big boys, if the littler guys have to settle for a debased and "little brother" tournament, well, this fan will not rejoice.

Kiddwell is all for the Zags advancing their program. Just hope the Murray States and Northern Iowas of the game (and their leagues) are not left out when along comes March 2015, '16, '17, etc.

:[

bartruff1
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=BobZag;843056]I invented a new saying this morning. It is--

You realize of course that Churchill was drunk when he said that, and when he sobered up, he was begging FDR to save his butt.

I have not seen the show, but I do know that Few is no drama queen and does not engage in pointless speculation.

IMHO, there is nothing to be gained by leaving the WCC except perhaps money.

I don't anticipate the WCC is going to break up in the forseeable future, it looks like a perfect fit for Gonzaga.

I don't think Gonzaga can compete in the CYO League and as a also ran will not improve it's media profile, its ability to recruit or it's chances to Dance.

But I also know that the Decision Makers are not ignorant or foolish people and that they will in fact act on what they see as the best long term interest of Gonzaga.

gamagin
12-17-2012, 10:58 AM
If Men's BB pulls out of the WCC, the other sport's get thrown out. Mike Roth stated that some time ago.

"But it would take a change in WCC membership rules to accomodate any such hybrid move by Gonzaga. One of the sports expressly required by the league is basketball.

'My guess is, they're not gonna' let that happen, ' said Roth. 'We lose that vote 7-0.' "

Bravehearts p.171. 2002

Since this is all discussion and speculation (not your quote, the possible move), I would say the above may be MF's shot across the bow to the WCC to rethink its stance, too. And it may mean GU leaves.

imo, "some" league (if not the WCC) will change & take, or form to take, the independent schools and their minor sports teams into their fold. The participants would remain on the hook to pay for the expenses so it could be argued removal of one sport might lead to less power/prestige at the league's front office, but the costs, or even the sources of revenues, wouldn't necessarily change.

btw, It think Boise state fb is in this same situation, too. At any rate, the writing is on the wall. Reorg is happening.

Somehow, I think this is all going to boil down to the keepers of the really.big.money: ESPN, Fox and whoever else is willing to pay the big bucks and enter a bidding war for an (allegedly) better, more attractive & more competitive group of leagues in the most popular sports.

SWZag
12-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I invented a new saying this morning. It is--

You realize of course that Churchill was drunk when he said that, and when he sobered up, he was begging FDR to save his butt.

For some reason I thought it was FDR that said those words....

Zagtana
12-17-2012, 11:37 AM
A selfish point of view. One thing we have going for us now, as part of the WCC located out west, is TV coverage of all Zag games. What ESPN doesn't cover ROOT picks up. If GU moves to a conference with teams located in the midwest and/or east, I get the feeling we'll lose some TV coverage of GU games. Too many other marquee basketball schools located in those areas (and potential larger TV audience locations) from which to choose. Your thoughts?

bartruff1
12-17-2012, 11:46 AM
For some reason I thought it was FDR that said those words.... Right after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...

primal23
12-17-2012, 11:47 AM
For some reason I thought it was FDR that said those words....

It was FDR

Unbiased
12-17-2012, 11:49 AM
stealing the idea from Notre Dame, and seeing what BYU is also apparently contemplating, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities to see GU's basketball program exit the WCC.

I agree.

It seems implausible that Gonzaga has not had a quality "quiet" talk with BYU. If BYU is planning on leaving the WCC, it makes no sense for Gonzaga to stay. The addition of Pacific, although a darn good athletic school, does nothing for the WCC business model. There would be a good chance ESPN might drop its WCC contract in favor of some new deal with the schools that have left the Big East. Recruiting will also become an issue.

Gonzaga's non-basketball athletic programs appear to be a formidable issue in all this.

I have no idea how this is all going to play out. But if Gonzaga is aware BYU is leaving, I'll bet there are contingency plans - maybe a waiver from the Mountain West as regards to Football.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-17-2012, 11:54 AM

I have similar misgivings. Bigger is not always better.

rijman
12-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Right after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...
Cracked me up. I've used the line in forums from Animal House about never giving up and the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor, younger people correct me everytime because they don't know the movie.

HillBillyZag
12-17-2012, 01:39 PM
BroncoZag615 and have had several disagreement over the years, but I support him 100% on this new Hoops League. In fact his blog contained an article titled " Why Gonzaga would Love to Part Ways with the WCC. It describes in detail about how the New Conference could look and also how the travel could be worked out in the most efficient and cost effective manner. Go to his " Slipper Still fits" and read the entire piece. It projects a fourteen team pattern with two Divisions. East could contain : Villanova, Providence, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Xavier, and DePaul. West would include: Gonzaga, BYU, Creighton, St. Mary's, Butler, Marquette, and St. Louis. All would play each team in their own division twice, with a single game vs. the rest. Very strong both Academically and Athletically. I would project it at least a four to five bid conference on a yearly basis.

BroncoZAG615
12-17-2012, 02:08 PM

I'm not trying to be combative whatsoever but can you just explain the 'why' of this viewpoint a little more?

As a basketball move, I see no downside. I'm of course assuming the administration has done their homework with regards to other sports and what to do there.

Back to GU basketball, I don't see a downside. Revenues would be increased, exposure (while already very high) would be increased, competition would be exponentially increased which may lead to more losses and fewer conference title banners but I believe it would lead to better tournament performances because you are constantly being tested.

I've seen numerous people express great angst over this possibility and I just would really like more color.

gamagin
12-17-2012, 02:16 PM

Whenever you attempt to change and/or improve your position at the expense of others, whatever the reasons, there are risks.

You may burn your bridges. You may lose supporters. You may start out well (like Munson), but you may not end up well.

There are risks, including our own history with the decision to stop big time football after WW II. Then cancel boxing. Both had gained nationwide attention. The coach & several key players on what became the first NFL championship team, hailed from Gonzaga. Lack of money killed them both.

I think & hope & believe GU is going into this with the full intention of weighing every option it can think to consider. Even at that, there are no guarantees it will work as planned.

What all this moving around does to the fans remains to be seen. While I doubt anything could kill the golden goose, this could do as much as anything to shake it up into a more professional type of situation. It could and likely will kill a lot of historic rivalries.

At this point, GU is in THE catbird seat. Perhaps the best position there is in the country. We aren't guaranteed a seat in the dance year after year, but speaking comparatively, we are as close to it as one can get -- in a position of great envy.

We have continued to grow and strengthen our program while most of the other league schools and admins and teams in our league have mostly struggled for many reasons (starting with $$$) and been unable to keep up.

WCC Competitiveness has picked up w/SMC & BYU but only BYU has a big league budget and program to match, and probably even exceed, us. And BYU is reportedly looking to leave the WCC.

So here we sit.

I've read some of the down side, but unless the #1 insured NCAA bid is taken away from the WCC somehow, we remain in the cat bird's seat for a long, long, time, because of our continued success.

We play in enough big time games and we beat enough big time opponents to keep our level of national attention among sports enthusiasts.

We are highly considered in the national polling because we have built up a winning and competitive tradition. Our actual history is we are, remain and belong in the top 25.

So all that becomes a new set of challenges even if the hope is just to maintain our status. For starters. Weighing our status quo & income stream against the new set of risks and rewards will tell the real tale of the tape, here.

No matter which way we go, we will remain a school of 5-6000 students, in smallish Spokane, which will remain a bit off most beaten paths and not generally in or near any center of real power, political or otherwise. And very much on our own.

77Zag
12-17-2012, 02:16 PM
I've seen numerous people express great angst over this possibility and I just would really like more color.

Hate to say it, but ultimately, the color will be green. The greenbacks will make the decision.

I hope I'm wrong to assure GU doesn't go the way of the bigs and look no farther than the balance sheet.

Go Zags!!

Zag 77
12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
The Catholic 7 won't exit the Big East until 2015. They may leave earlier if they can negotiate some monetary issues. If anything, talk about GU has died down since the original trial balloon. GU has let the rest of the WCC know that we hold more cards than they do, and we might like a little more adoration from the rest of the conference if they don't mind.

Without another solid travel partner out here in the hinterland of the Pacific Northwest, I don't see the rest of the Catholic 7 getting all that excited about us.

It is going to take awhile for the Catholic 7 to sort out matters and pick up one or two from the A-10 before they look at us. If I were Georgetown or St. John's, I would be asking what the hurry is as far as adding Gonzaga. It is not like we really have any other suitors. They might figure it is better to get their house in order before expanding way out west. Maybe another 4-5 years down the road.

titopoet
12-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Hate to say it, but ultimately, the color will be green. The greenbacks will make the decision.

I hope I'm wrong to assure GU doesn't go the way of the bigs and look no farther than the balance sheet.

Go Zags!!

I don't think so. If Few was about the greenbacks, he would have been gone long ago. This is about taking the Zags to the next level. Being in a bigger league opens to being in play for high ranking recruits.

CB4
12-17-2012, 03:59 PM
For those of us who can't predict the future this is really exciting... an unprecedented step that will be thoroughly discussed in Decade of Excellence II.

ZagNative
12-17-2012, 06:53 PM
A repeat of the show is coming up at 8:00 on SWX, Comcast #115.

It will repeat again on ROOT at 6:30 Wednesday.

Zag365
12-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Of course, if you are GU, you look at what is happening and make sure you don't miss a good opportunity. But, seems waaay too soon to make a judgment. Need to know what the deal is, if any. I hope integrity and sustainability more than profitability are driving factors. If they aren't then what Coach Few, the University, and the alums have stood for is a fraud. The "deal" needs to be more than what would make a basketball splash for a few years. I hope our program never gets caught up in the pseudo-professional basketball factory mentality. If we can find a league that provides more competition and exposure but let's us be Zags, then go for it. Otherwise, don't sell our soul.

Oregonzagnut
12-17-2012, 08:45 PM
I struggle with the logic in this post. How would Gonzaga moving to a truly national conference strip them of their status as a 'national program'.

Im not saying it will strip anything. That implies a direct and aggressive take away or loss. I'm just saying, that IMO, and most disagree, which is fine, that I am skeptical that this will 100% be good. Its not that people here don't take the most negative interpretation they can muster.

I have read the opinions, and I am in the minority. I will see the light if Few does, especially since the norm is to improve and I can't prove any harm from moving, other than lately I have seen more harm from teams moving than good. It is a risk either way we go and I am thinking about this if it were my decision for my life or my team. Few is months a head of me on "skepticism". If he is past it, then I will be too.

Even people who are committed and 100% for the move should still be skeptical of any massive financial and student athletic change. I tend to be conservative and untrusting of corporate dealings and haste to jump on this pile of recruits and money that will come our way.

I do assume Few and our administration is far ahead of the information and variables that could affect our university and will do what is best. I truly believe we have outgrown the WCC. But I do not have all the information, none of us do. Until then, when and if Few and our team jumps on the zip line out the plane, I will follow along with the troop like the rest. I just want the info, till then, I am skeptical. NOT OPPOSED!!!!

Lie I said before. NOT OPPOSED.

Oregonzagnut
12-17-2012, 08:56 PM
BroncoZag615 and have had several disagreement over the years, but I support him 100% on this new Hoops League. In fact his blog contained an article titled " Why Gonzaga would Love to Part Ways with the WCC. It describes in detail about how the New Conference could look and also how the travel could be worked out in the most efficient and cost effective manner. Go to his " Slipper Still fits" and read the entire piece. It projects a fourteen team pattern with two Divisions. East could contain : Villanova, Providence, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Xavier, and DePaul. West would include: Gonzaga, BYU, Creighton, St. Mary's, Butler, Marquette, and St. Louis. All would play each team in their own division twice, with a single game vs. the rest. Very strong both Academically and Athletically. I would project it at least a four to five bid conference on a yearly basis.

Can anyone show me in the media or anywhere that this 2 division league is being toyed with or is this one persons "best case scenario" for a league.

BYU has football. This is about NOT following football money and so far I have not heard BYU named in ANY catholic conference talk. In fact I have heard the league would be "all sports" more than just basketball.

Any links to any of this conference idea and any links to official invitations or logistics to making this real and not fantasy?

Zagdawg
12-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Oregon-- here is the link you are looking for to answer all of your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RDYen0UP5o&feature=pyv&ad=5465878354&kw=tacos

When you get done-- can you post the main points of the information for us here.

You are welcome.

adoptedzag
12-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Oregon-- here is the link you are looking for to answer all of your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RDYen0UP5o&feature=pyv&ad=5465878354&kw=tacos

When you get done-- can you post the main points of the information for us here.

You are welcome.

I want the last 3 minutes of my life back.

Reborn
12-18-2012, 08:33 AM
In order to get better a team must constantly seek to play better competition. This also means that the Zags need to play more athletic, physical players and teams that play very physical on defense. I think our OOC shcedule is built to do this. Every year we seem to play better and tougher teams in OOC games. The WCC, too often, does not have teams that play this kind of tough, physical basketball. So when the Zags get to the NCAA tournament they are not prepared for the physical and tough competion. The WCC has made the Zags soft.

I believe that teams in the Big East, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10 and maybe the SEC will improve more during conference play then Gonzaga will in the WCC. The WCC did improve wihen BYU joined the conference, but as has been said, they may be planning on leaving the conference soon. I agree with those who think GU has outgrown the WCC, and in order for them to go to the next level that a change is imminent.

As Mark Few said, basketball conferences in the USA are rapidly changing, and realignment is happening all around us. This is the right time for the Zags to take the risks Oregonzagnut talks about. I feel the risks are worth it. I think that sometimes taking a risk is so important in order to improve and get better. I agree with Few that the Zags have earned the right to play in a tougher conference, and that they are ready. The Zags jumped from the Big Sky to the WCC some time ago. It was a good move, and I think it's time once again to make another move to an even better conference.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of joining an all Catholic conference. We are practically in one now. I think it would be good for the school to be a part of a conference that is not created on the basis of religious orientation. I believe we are no longer in a society where Catholics need to be isolated and apart from the rest of the world. I don't like the idea of being exclusive.

The other problem, as I view it, is the kind of travel involved in joining that all Catholic conference back east. I think that there will be several possibilities and I'd prefer one closer to the West Coast.

BobZag
12-18-2012, 10:51 AM

It will repeat again on ROOT at 6:30 Wednesday.

That titanic Campbell-Zags battle tips off at 6:00 Wednesday, sooooooooo.... :doh:

ZagNative
12-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Love my DVR!

Rangerzag
12-18-2012, 11:15 AM

It will repeat again on ROOT at 6:30 A.M. Wednesday.

Fixed it for ya ;^)

Mantua
12-18-2012, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=BobZag;843056]I invented a new saying this morning. It is--

When was Churchill sober?

Coach just said Gonzaga has its ears perked up. Of course. There hasn't been much opportunity to contemplate bettering the team's position in the NCAA and the powers that be must consider any possibility of creating more revenues and putting the school in the national spotlight.