PDA

View Full Version : Butler

sheps001
12-16-2012, 05:49 AM
Hope all of you got a chance to see Butler v Indiana. Can't say enough about them. They play hard. They play smart. They play with heart.
They are not afraid of playing anyone anywhere. Exactly what we want from our team. Will be interesting to see what happens on Jan 19. Go Zags.

raise the zag
12-16-2012, 07:02 AM
+1

interestingly, we have an away game on the 17th, return home late that night, wake up early on the 18th(no sleep?) and immediately fly cross-country to Indiana to play Top-15 Butler at Hinkle the very next day. Going to be tough turnaround for our Zags.

keep in mind, they played in a neutral court today vs #1 team in NCAA. Imagine them at home?

Butler is tough, slow-paced tempo, grind it out, patience...a type of opponent where "rest" is paramount. wasn't a big fan of the scheduling when this was 1st announced, less than a days rest and two road games 2500 miles apart.

this is one game I consider a huge uphill battle, if I were KenPom, I'd give us a 5% chance in this one. maybe less.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-16-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm glad we're playing them. Our guys will learn from that game. Hopefully, it will toughen them up a bit for just before March.

hooter73
12-16-2012, 08:53 AM
im just hoping our shooters are back to dead eye form by then or that will be one long game.

willandi
12-16-2012, 09:59 AM
The flight is from Portland. They should be in their beds by 12:30, after the 7pm start. Don't know what time the flight east is, but expect they will get 6-8 hours of sleep, then be able to sleep on the plane, and the following night! Nice to have your own team plane!

zagmantis2001
12-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Butler is very, very good. If Pangos and Bell continue with the slump and the defense has an off night, gu is going to get waxed.

BobZag
12-16-2012, 10:07 AM
The flight is from Portland. They should be in their beds by 12:30, after the 7pm start. Don't know what time the flight east is, but expect they will get 6-8 hours of sleep, then be able to sleep on the plane, and the following night! Nice to have your own team plane!

I'd fly from Portland straight to Indy.

DixieZag
12-16-2012, 10:21 AM

Which is what is almost certainly what is going to happen. There are a lot of very good people that ensure communication between professors and athletes and have the assingments set out with mandatory study time etc. It takes the effort of lots of smart, committed people and it pays dividends.

Not that very many teams could have beaten the Butler team that showed up yesterday - that was a magical game for them. I like that we are playing this game, win or lose, we should gain from the experience - - hope we give them a little more than they want.

VinnyZag
12-16-2012, 10:22 AM
this is one game I consider a huge uphill battle, if I were KenPom, I'd give us a 5% chance in this one. maybe less.

The actual KenPom gives GU slightly better odds ... A 62 percent chance of winning.

gamagin
12-16-2012, 10:31 AM
be playing Butler. They will be pumped to play us, too. It's pretty much what everyone signed up for: to get a chance to play some of the best teams around.

It should be a fun game, a battle of wits between coaches and a great, competitive battle between two storied teams & schools with the whole world watching. Who could ask for anything more ?

willandi
12-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Actually I would too. I was responding to the poster that suggested that they would be tired because they would fly in late and fly out early the next day.
A straight flight would make so much sense, still, it's nice to have your own team plane!

Oregonzagnut
12-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Butler is like us at times, IMO, when they are on, they are on. But when they are off.......

Stevens is not Few though. Many coaches are learning from Few and even possibly taking it to the next level. Butler most certainly took it to the next level, but Few is far more consistent so far. So IMO, Few can learn from Stevens and even Smart if he wants to improve himself as a coach. And I wholeheartedly believe he does.

On a side note in analyzing players upbringing around basketball, Butler has decreased their athletes from Indiana and is starting to go international too. In 2010, they featured a team made up of 70% (10/14) Indiana boys. Homegrown if you will. Now Butler is 50% from Indiana, 8/16.

Gonzaga by comparison has 3 players from Washington. 3/13. However, during our Elite8 run in 2000 we had 8/13 local homegrown boys.

IMO, kids usually dream of playing for their local team. I did. I dreamed of playing for Gonzaga in the Stockton years. I never played in H.S. though and that dream disappeared as a childhood fantasy. My point merely being that internal friendships and common dreams helps a team build chemistry, this is one area that Few has to nurture when he has guys from all over the world. This team has come together for a common goal in the strongest way I have seen.

Also one thing I have noticed is Gonzaga's roster is always 2-3 athletes smaller than most schools. Anyone know why Few goes with a smaller roster? Easier to manage? Fewer walk-ons?

jim77
12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Great game for Butler.

I like our chances against them. We match up well against them.

zagfan1970
12-16-2012, 12:53 PM
I love the situation! Seems Zags play best in these circumstances. Having beaten #1 they will be expected to beat us. Combine this road trip with the one to Oklahoma State and that's a tough task to win both, but with the toughness displayed last night, our size , and DEPTH I think we our up to the task!

GhostZag
12-16-2012, 01:15 PM
and... Mr. & Mrs. WooHoo will be attending the GU/Butler game, and he probably will do a whacky yet informative blog to keep us all in the loop relative to the big showdown. Wonder if Francis will make the trip in the back of the mini-van??? :eek:

sheps001
12-16-2012, 03:13 PM
+1

interestingly, we have an away game on the 17th, return home late that night, wake up early on the 18th(no sleep?) and immediately fly cross-country to Indiana to play Top-15 Butler at Hinkle the very next day. Going to be tough turnaround for our Zags.

keep in mind, they played in a neutral court today vs #1 team in NCAA. Imagine them at home?

Butler is tough, slow-paced tempo, grind it out, patience...a type of opponent where "rest" is paramount. wasn't a big fan of the scheduling when this was 1st announced, less than a days rest and two road games 2500 miles apart.

Why would they fly home? Wouldn't it be logical for them to fly from Portland direct to Indianapolis after the game?. They would get in early on 18th, go right to the hotel and sleep till noon or so on the 18th. Go for a shoot around later that day and have a regular day on the 19th including the game. At that, they would still be off at least one day due to the time zone change. This would be the way to do it. Thoughts?

Baldwinzag
12-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Why would they fly home? Wouldn't it be logical for them to fly from Portland direct to Indianapolis after the game?. They would get in early on 18th, go right to the hotel and sleep till noon or so on the 18th. Go for a shoot around later that day and have a regular day on the 19th including the game. At that, they would still be off at least one day due to the time zone change. This would be the way to do it. Thoughts?

conceivably so, and makes the most logical sense of course, yet its simply not happening that way...chartered flights like these are planned months in advance and take into consideration other athletic programs. unfortunately, we are returning home to Spokane before flying to Indianapolis.

Not sure what people are hoping, yet this is going to be a rough turnaround/road trip...

we'll pull it out...yet just expect it on little sleep, etc...I wish we were flying DIRECT from Portland to Indy, yet do you realize how expensive that particular charter would be on a moments notice? Not sure where people heard Portland to Indy...nope.

Spokane ---> Indianapolis.

Gonzdb8
12-16-2012, 05:11 PM
+1
if I were KenPom, I'd give us a 5% chance in this one. maybe less.

and that is why they are called the kenpom ranings and not the raise the zag rankings. its going to be a tough game, butler looks good, but to say we only have a 5% chance is nonsensical.

zagfan08
12-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Stevens is 31-2 when given 6+ days to prepare. Fortunately, that doesn't apply to our game. We'll be lucky to get out of Hinkle with a win. It'll be a fun game, love what Roosevelt Jones does for them.

Baldwinzag
12-16-2012, 06:31 PM
one of the toughest OOC games in the last decade or so...imho.

on THEIR home court, vs Top-15 team, less than 20 hours from previous road conference game, horrible travel arrangements, an elite 3pt shooting team, Brad Stevens dominates vs "transition" oriented teams...falls right into the hands of a preferred Butler matchup.

they will confuse us, slow it down, grind it out, tough it throughout, shoot & make shoes relentlessly, and clean up the misses and take advantage of our mistakes.

Just don't see us winning this game, yet hoping for the best.

As much as I predicted we'd beat K-State & Baylor, I chalked this game up to a loss. Don't like it, but just think its a long shot, to say the least.

Butler Guy
12-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Im guessing that having ESPN GameDay there will make the home court thing a horse of a different color.

gozagswoohoo
12-17-2012, 09:33 AM
and... Mr. & Mrs. WooHoo will be attending the GU/Butler game, and he probably will do a whacky yet informative blog to keep us all in the loop relative to the big showdown. Wonder if Francis will make the trip in the back of the mini-van??? :eek:

I don't trust Francis, so he's not riding with ME!! I wouldn't put it past him to syphon out my gas and try to sell it to someone for a quick $20. He will have to find his own way!

Ekrub
12-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Besides rotnei Clark (I fear he is going to give us nightmares and make us wish we had him) who else did Butler add/lose from last year? We handled them pretty easily last year but I fear rotnei alone will give us fits. Any new guys I should be worried about?

sheps001
12-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Im guessing that having ESPN GameDay there will make the home court thing a horse of a different color.
Butler Guy.

They are playing unbelievably. How could they have two losses?

JPtheBeasta
12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Frankly, I would absolutely love Butler if I wasn't jealous of their recent success in the tournament, and now against Indiana. This will be a fun and tough game, and it makes me more nervous. It won't be a bad loss from a selection committee perspective, but it would be great for bragging rights.

That was a great game, and as I watched that game and I was imaging Indiana fans saying "Why aren't we guarding the 3?" and "Why haven't we fouled out Jones, yet?" It helps me a little bit to know that the #1 ranked team at the time has problems similar to our Zags. If Butler finds a way to exert its will on our Zags, we lose; we have good results in ugly games, but they seem to thrive off of it. We really need our bigs to step out on their face-up bigs and our guards need to embrace the defensive pressure and attack it.

The short prepare sucks. I wouldn't be suprised to see some weird line-ups out of Few in the game before in order to rest his guys.

rennis
12-17-2012, 12:55 PM
This game will be prominent when it comes to seeding in March, IMHO. It could be a statement game for either team, and easily worth a rung on Selection Sunday.

LynetteG
12-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Per the Butler ticket office only 550 tickets remain!

MDABE80
12-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Butler has a lot more "fight" or "toughness" than we have. I do think we'll get mugged if we don't get better in that category. We play hard but those guys are loaded with Mike Harts.