PDA

View Full Version : 5 Good Signs

bostonzagfan
12-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Trying to avoid the obvious here, post your own...

1. Bell has taken 14 free throws (12-14) over the past 3 games

2. Shut down McGruder (who is same size as Brandon Paul)

3. Improved play from Sam Dower

4. Winning the turnover battle

5. Resiliency to turn a halftime tie into a blowout against a BCS team

fedwayzag
12-16-2012, 08:34 AM
+1

jazzdelmar
12-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Free throws, per se

Edi's 2nd half play

KO's continuing improvement

Big, lively, pro Zag crowd

.....that's about it

zagco
12-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Plus, we have won all but one game without Pangos being really hot, other than in one half of a game. If he breaks out of the sophomore shooting slump, that will add a real big boost to the entire team.

jazzdelmar
12-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Plus, we have won all but one game without Pangos being really hot, other than in one half of a game. If he breaks out of the sophomore shooting slump, that will add a real big boost to the entire team.

IF

zag67
12-16-2012, 08:48 AM
WHEN not IF

jazzdelmar
12-16-2012, 08:50 AM
WHEN not IF

hmm. well, sometimes soph slumps last a long time......not every Zag gets better......plenty of examples; you know em as well as i.

DixieZag
12-16-2012, 08:51 AM

I think this is an important point. If we had heard before the season that Pangos and Bell would have gotten off to the relatively slow starts that they have we probably wouldn't have thought that we would have won some of the games that we have won.

I also don't think that it is a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" these two break out. All the tools are there - except for maybe some defensive issues with Kevin, but I think it is going to happen.

I would add to the list

- The emergence of Kelly as our most dependable scorer

- The effort and response shown to KSU in the second half when the first half was a frustrating one, shots not falling, hands of brick, missed defensive assignments etc etc, they came out in the second half and got to the loose balls and outrebounded one of the best rebounding teams in the country and turned what could have been a disaster into a rout.

izzjess
12-16-2012, 08:56 AM

this is what im talking about....last year the team went where pang pang went. This year..the team is standing on there own a lot better....now throw in a red hot pang pang and we are talking elite

Hoopaholic
12-16-2012, 09:11 AM
1. Team has multiple interchangeable parts and team cohesion with it
2. Team has migrated from an outside dominant team to and inside out team
3. Team rebounds very well
4. one of the top 10 interior players in the country
5. To win we don't HAVE to rely on an outside shot to win a game

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-16-2012, 09:31 AM
hmm. well, sometimes soph slumps last a long time......not every Zag gets better......plenty of examples; you know em as well as i.

Sometimes slumps don't last long. Lots of Zags get better. You know those examples too.

2wiceright
12-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Trying to avoid the obvious here, post your own...

1. Bell has taken 14 free throws (12-14) over the past 3 games

2. Shut down McGruder (who is same size as Brandon Paul)

3. Improved play from Sam Dower

4. Winning the turnover battle

5. Resiliency to turn a halftime tie into a blowout against a BCS team

#6) Kevin actually played point guard and had 6 assists along with a couple nice drives and hit a big three (something he needs to do more of-assists). Not just hucking them up there, but playing within the offense (whatever it takes to win). Also, I noticed a couple of times he was late getting to his guy not in time to get in "the other players grill" - he was helping out trapping McGruder (or the off guard).... Small steps, but he will get there!

VinnyZag
12-16-2012, 10:15 AM
* Team defensive effort in the second half. And, in a related item,

* Mike Hart

bballbeachbum
12-16-2012, 10:15 AM
#6) Kevin actually played point guard and had 6 assists along with a couple nice drives and hit a big three (something he needs to do more of-assists). Not just hucking them up there, but playing within the offense (whatever it takes to win).

since when does he just huck them up there? I'm tempted to say never, but I must be missing something

Reborn
12-16-2012, 10:26 AM
rebounding...Outrebounded K State by 7. K State is the top offensive rebounding team in the country and we kept them off the O boards. I felt if we won the rebounding battle (as Michigan did when they beat them) that we would win.

Elias Harris making some beautiful passes. Before this year we seldom saw him pass the ball.

It was nice to see Sam Dower playing well again. I think he had 3 blocked shots. He looked so much better last night.

David Stockton's hustle play when he ran the length of the court and did a beautiful dive for the ball going out of bounds. He slid on the court for about 10 feet. Wow!!!!!!!! Awesome hustle David.

Few returning to the rotation that had been working. Wisdom. By substituting frequently Few is able to keep fresh bodies on the court which allows the guys to play hard, tough nose defense THE WHOLE GAME.

bostonzagfan
12-16-2012, 01:01 PM
very versatile, deep team.

we got the ball to the guy who was hot over and over last night. that's what we need to do with our depth.