PDA

View Full Version : How high could K.O. go

GodZaga76
12-15-2012, 09:16 PM
I know its a way off for Kelly, but if he keeps improving and playing like he is how high up do you think he could get drafted in the NBA?

BULLDOG#1
12-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Possible first round next year... That would mean continued improvement.
His improvement is mind blowing... Sky is the limit. Seven footers with guard skills usually get a shot in the NBA.

zagzilla
12-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Still a work in progress. He made several NBA post moves tonight and some boneheaded plays as well. Still needs to work on consistency but love the new KO this year.

krozman
12-15-2012, 09:39 PM
I've said on many occasions, he's Gonzaga's next Adam Morrison. Just he'll probably have to have a senior season if he wants to be in a PoY race. This team is far too equipped to stand out in that regard.

He dominated tonight but only played 19 minutes. SHEESH!

zag buddy
12-15-2012, 10:30 PM
top 10.

Ekrub
12-15-2012, 10:52 PM
top 10.

A few years back, a poster claimed Kelly was NBA material and it caused nearly everyone to laugh at him (myself included) it now looks like that poster (he wasn't a regular here, but someone who claimed to know the olynyks) was dead on. I think he might be a top 10 pick next year. His skill set is incredible. If he can figure out how to limit his TOs, I'd say it is a realistic possibility.

cggonzaga
12-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Agreed Ekrub. The way Kelly is playing now, there won't be a senior season for him.

SamwiseTheZag
12-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Anyone who knows anything about the NBA draft, is well aware that Kelly wont have a Senior year (unless he wants to stay) based on the way he has played so far this year.

He's going to destroy the WCC.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

bostonzagfan
12-15-2012, 11:03 PM
I've said on many occasions, he's Gonzaga's next Adam Morrison. Just he'll probably have to have a senior season if he wants to be in a PoY race. This team is far too equipped to stand out in that regard.

not nearly as good as morrison. 99% of players aren't.

he fouled out and was in foul trouble, otherwise he would have played more.

top 10.

not a chance.

GodZaga76
12-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Pretty sure Kelly won't jump ship early for the NBA, his senior season will be the one he needs to crack into the draft, this year won't be enough at all.

maynard g krebs
12-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Remember Nick Fazekas of Nevada? 6-11, almost KO's size and a similar athlete. Averaged over 20 ppg and 10 rpg for his last 3 years there, on 53%+ shooting. Twenty one ppg and 11 rpg on 57% fg's and 43% on 3's his sr yr. 1st or 2nd team AA.

Went in the 2nd round; ESPN says now playing overseas.

NBA is mostly about athleticism.

I am excited about the prospect of KO being in the discussion for national POY in his senior yr.

ZagNative
12-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Nice to see you posting on the MBB again, Maynard. I've missed you. Or have you been here all along and I just haven't been paying attention?

BTB
12-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Remember Nick Fazekas of Nevada? 6-11, almost KO's size and a similar athlete. Averaged over 20 ppg and 10 rpg for his last 3 years there, on 53%+ shooting. Twenty one ppg and 11 rpg on 57% fg's and 43% on 3's his sr yr. 1st or 2nd team AA.

Went in the 2nd round; ESPN says now playing overseas.

NBA is mostly about athleticism.

I am excited about the prospect of KO being in the discussion for national POY in his senior yr.

Nick Fazekas, from what I remember, was not nearly the athlete that Kelly is.

jim77
12-16-2012, 12:35 AM
I said 2 years ago that he reminded me of Nowitski....he looks more like him every day.

Malastein
12-16-2012, 01:51 AM
I think his ceiling is the last 10 picks of the first round because I don't project him being more than a quality 7th or 8th man on a good team. He has skills, but he isn't a dominate player at the collegiate level. He is better out of the redshirt year than I thought, but he hasn't turned into Bill Walton.

thespywhozaggedme
12-16-2012, 04:53 AM
A few years back, a poster claimed Kelly was NBA material and it caused nearly everyone to laugh at him (myself included) it now looks like that poster (he wasn't a regular here, but someone who claimed to know the olynyks) was dead on. I think he might be a top 10 pick next year. His skill set is incredible. If he can figure out how to limit his TOs, I'd say it is a realistic possibility.

Yeah, that was me.

thespywhozaggedme
12-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Kelly has very crafty, advanced post moves. He's got a great motor. If he can rebound consistently, he will go very high in next years draft.

jazzdelmar
12-16-2012, 05:30 AM

That was me also. Justice is sweet.

Ekrub
12-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah, that was me.

You and jazz may have said it, but the particular thread I am talking about was a poster who hadn't posted here before or since this thread. He claimed to know the olynyks and said that if Kelly didn't get more playing time he would transfer. I bumped it (arrogantly) after KO redshirted but I think a mod deleted it. I would like to arrogantly bump it to prove to my 1 year younger self I was a little quick on the trigger.

TacomaZAG
12-16-2012, 10:49 AM
KO will continue to blossom throughout this year and we will get to see his full skill set next year when he replaces Elias at the 4. I watched him on the perimeter yesterday, dribbling between his legs, using his left hand as well as his right.

He will really benefit this year and next having Karno in the middle, so he can use his skills both in the paint and on the perimeter. His skill set reminds me of Josh Heytvelt, but Josh was forced to play the 5 because there was no one else. KO seems much more willing to bang in the paint than Josh was, but Josh was an athletic freak who could jump out of the gym.

It's going to be fun to watch. I agree that KO will destroy most of the guys in the WCC.

Go ZAGS

Birddog
12-16-2012, 11:24 AM
You and jazz may have said it, but the particular thread I am talking about was a poster who hadn't posted here before or since this thread. He claimed to know the olynyks and said that if Kelly didn't get more playing time he would transfer.
I think his user name had "rose" in it. Something like prairie rose IIRC.

Baseline
12-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Kelly has a good skill set and high IQ, but his new toughness and motor has transformed his game. If his shots keep falling and he stays aggressive his upside is huge. My big surprise is how much more athletic he is than I thought.

coolhandzag
12-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I think his user name had "rose" in it. Something like prairie rose IIRC.

"wild rose" is the handle you are thinking of.

rennis
12-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I think we are all just speculating unless one of yu guys is an NBA scout...who knows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rennis
12-16-2012, 02:40 PM
That said the kid has serious upside and I have zero doubt he is going to be paid to play in the NBA. just a question of when

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gamagin
12-16-2012, 02:59 PM
seen round the world, I'd say K.O. could go 10' 2", having shown he cleared 10'1" in the BIS stuff.

So he has a ways to go before the bigs. But he'll certainly get a good look.

ZagNative
12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
I think his ceiling is the last 10 picks of the first round because I don't project him being more than a quality 7th or 8th man on a good team. He has skills, but he isn't a dominate player at the collegiate level. He is better out of the redshirt year than I thought, but he hasn't turned into Bill Walton.You've been a cynic about KO from the git, haven't you, Malastein? Seemed like anytime anyone had anything nice to KO, you were right there playing devil's advocate.

Nothing I'd like better than seeing Mal eventually having no choice but to eat some crow.

OZZY
12-16-2012, 03:27 PM
"wild rose" is the handle you are thinking of.

Yes, Wildrose who lives in Alberta (the Wildrose is their provincial flower), knows the Olynyk family as does another email friend of mine who reads but does not post on this board. Both were very frustrated at the lack of PT that KO was getting, and the negativity coming from this board about Kelly's potential. I have been laughed at many times when I have suggested that Kelly had NBA potential, and even earlier this year when I said he could possibly be the WCC POY this year...

Reality is that while Kelly dominated Canadian ball as a High schooler, and showed glimses of his ability as an underclassman, he would not really come in to his own until he grew into his body and gained strength.

I have looked back on posts by myself (as both Ozzag and Ozzy) and others (BZ, Scan72 to name a few) and many of us said this back in 2008 and 2009 when he first committed. His need to redshirt was the key and we expected he would get great value out of it.

He is exactly where I thought he would be at this stage of his GU career. Many who doubted him have been won over and have admitted it. Some have disappeared never to be heard from again.... Mike from Sequim are you out there......?

The impact that KO will have over the next 1 1/2 years will be fantastic, I am really looking forward the the ride! I expect him to play his senior season and get his Masters degree.

What happens after that, well lets see then :)

Birddog
12-16-2012, 03:28 PM
I think we are all just speculating unless one of yu guys is an NBA scout...who knows

Idle speculation at that. There is one poster who probably could shed some legitimate insight. What say you BasketballZag?

Pleasant Peninsula
12-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm super stoked about Kelly's play this year; his improvement has been remarkable and he has a chance to contend for WCC player of the year and could possibly be on the year-end top 50 Wooden Award List -- all of which was unthinkable (for me at least) coming into the year.

But anointing him a first round pick after a nice stretch of six games or so is just silly, IMO. Come on, our collective predictions about which Gonzaga stars would play in the NBA -- and how they would fare when they get there -- have been near universally wrong. Our message board's track record at projecting GU players to the NBA is atrocious.

ZagLawGrad
12-16-2012, 03:39 PM

KO good. But he's not AMMO. KO definitely gonna be playing in the pros, though.

Baldwinzag
12-16-2012, 03:49 PM
lottery pick. this year or the next.

are we really comparing Nick Fazekas to Kelly Olynyk?

C'mon now. Sure, Nick had better scoring stats for Neveda, yet not nearly the prospect or player on either end of the court. And Fazeskas still played 30+ games in the NBA for the Clippers.

First & foremost, Kelly is at least 2+ inches taller and waaaayyyyyyy more mobile than Nick ever dreamed of being...not even close. Nick could dunk at 6'10ish, and featured some good moves, but didn't create for himself or the same moves as KO has shown he's capable of...

Yes, Fazekas was a very good shooter from ALL over the court, including an excellent 3pt shooter in the mold of a Daniel Kickert from SMC, yet simply DID NOT move as well as Kelly around the court.

Nick's stats were solid and consistent, but was not the prospect as Kelly has shown to be...whether it was with the Canadian Nat'l team vs current NBA talent or with us.

As I mentioned before, I have a close buddy who scouts for MN Timberwolves and he brought up Olynyk to ME when discussing Gonzaga hoops, not the other way around. He was the first player mentioned btw, outside of the mutual respect for Elias for his energy, toughness, and athleticism. He considers E a borderline NBA bench/energy player, but KO a natural fit for the right team.

If we think Kelly is not an NBA prospect, we are kidding ourselves...I want him to stay another year too and sincerely hope he does.

No one compares to KO on our team, including Elias, from what I'm hearing or seeing...

Kelly is 7'1", 240 lbs, mobile, can shoot from anywhere, shot fakes, tough, dribble-drive, high-low pass, can pick 'n roll, NBA moves,...we know...

Should he stay another year? Absolutely. He could fly up NBA draft boards, yet Olynyk's family is VERY serious and adament about him taking the next step...

Bottom line, it will be up to Kelly to stay another year...no one else...NBA is interested and knocking on the door...I hope he rides it out with us.

thespywhozaggedme
12-16-2012, 04:28 PM
You've been a cynic about KO from the git, haven't you, Malastein? Seemed like anytime anyone had anything nice to KO, you were right there playing devil's advocate.

Nothing I'd like better than seeing Mal eventually having no choice but to eat some crow.

Yup, she was the one who was so malicious towards those of us that said Kelly would be a pro.

jim77
12-16-2012, 05:25 PM
The guy is a matchup nightmare.....a guy who is 7feet tall and has the instinct/ability of a guard. Most centers can't cover him and forwards arem't big enough.....and this guy has played 6 or 7 games in 2 years....yikess! I love how him and E work together.....they might be the most dynamic pair ever to wear a GU uniform.

maynard g krebs
12-16-2012, 06:25 PM
lottery pick. this year or the next.

are we really comparing Nick Fazekas to Kelly Olynyk?

C'mon now. Sure, Nick had better scoring stats for Neveda, yet not nearly the prospect or player on either end of the court.

First of all, I'm a big fan of KO, and I argued consistently for the redshirt, for exactly the reasons it has proven successful. And I think he is still young for his age and will continue to improve. And I agree that he has more individual offensive skills, as you stated.

But. KO is now averaging 6.6 rebounds per game. Fazekas nearly doubled that his senior year (around 11.5, without looking it up again). His 1.5 blocked shots per game also doubles KO's current average. And since Kickert is in the discussion, his upperclass averages in those stats are about equal to KO's. Kickert was similar in style but not half the player the AA Fazekas was.

Is KO a better prospect with more upside? Sure. But a better player now? All the empirical evidence contradicts that.

Agree with Mal about late first round. And to me, that says more about the current NBA than it does about KO's ability. My point is that KO lacks the fast twitch muscle fiber that the NBA prizes over basketball ability.

Mojo13
12-16-2012, 09:14 PM
KO good. But he's not AMMO. KO definitely gonna be playing in the pros, though.

I hope is no ammo. Don't need another Zag in the conversation of greatest NBA draft bust of all time.

BULLDOG#1
12-16-2012, 09:38 PM
KO better compares to Spencer Hawes... And he did just fine in the nba.
He definitely needs to keep it up, but KO has a great shot at the first round.

BTB
12-16-2012, 10:07 PM
If we think Kelly is not an NBA prospect, we are kidding ourselves...I want him to stay another year too and sincerely hope he does.

No one compares to KO on our team, including Elias, from what I'm hearing or seeing...

Bingo! Kelly is the best prospect on the team and it's not close.

First of all, I'm a big fan of KO, and I argued consistently for the redshirt, for exactly the reasons it has proven successful. And I think he is still young for his age and will continue to improve. And I agree that he has more individual offensive skills, as you stated.

But. KO is now averaging 6.6 rebounds per game. Fazekas nearly doubled that his senior year (around 11.5, without looking it up again). His 1.5 blocked shots per game also doubles KO's current average. And since Kickert is in the discussion, his upperclass averages in those stats are about equal to KO's. Kickert was similar in style but not half the player the AA Fazekas was.

Is KO a better prospect with more upside? Sure. But a better player now? All the empirical evidence contradicts that.

Agree with Mal about late first round. And to me, that says more about the current NBA than it does about KO's ability. My point is that KO lacks the fast twitch muscle fiber that the NBA prizes over basketball ability.

Lets not forget that Kelly is averaging 6.6 rebounds per game playing only 24 minutes on a team with a lot of other very talented rebounders and has only been playing for 8 games in 2 years... Turiaf averaged 6.4 his junior year in about 27 minutes.. Kelly is also VERY explosive for a 7 footer, how can you say he doesn't have the fast twitch muscle fiber?? How many 7 footers can you name more athletic than Kelly that are also as skilled? He has everything that makes scouts drool: skill, size, athleticism, toughness. I will be amazed if he isn't a lottery pick when he decides to go to the NBA (which will be whenever he wants to leave).

AzZag
12-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Give credit where it is due. Stephen Bardo predicted this years ago and stated it on TV several times.

I love the Zags as much as all of you do, however many of you are drinking the homer Kool-Aid. We go through this every year with a Zag.
Heytfelt, Bouldin, Downs, Elias, Grey....
K.O. Isn't getting drafted anywhere near the first round this year or next.
Best prediction is with a strong senior season and an outstanding summer league he could land an undrafted free agent contract.
I hope he proves me wrong. I personally feel he is WAY better than highly overrated Steven Adams of Pitt. There just seems to be boat loads of young talent behind him right now that teams wii gamble on.

bostonzagfan
12-16-2012, 10:47 PM
age is a factor

MDABE80
12-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Anytime a 7 footer puts up 20 and passes well and rebound decently, he will get some looks. Kelly's athleticism has vastly improved. He keeps his new pace up, he'll get some work.

Malastein
12-17-2012, 01:22 AM
You've been a cynic about KO from the git, haven't you, Malastein? Seemed like anytime anyone had anything nice to KO, you were right there playing devil's advocate.

I have had a post or two eating a bit of crow, but I still disagree with his over the top projections. Where was his production against Illinois? I said he probably wasn't an NBA player and might be All-WCC by the time he is done. I don't think my opinion has radically changed from that base, and he hasn't shown an Adam Morrison ability in the collegiate ranks like so many have speculated about.

Fundamentally, I like seeing how much he's made improvement, because that is the most important thing to me as a fan. Like I have said before, I hope he proves me wrong and becomes the lottery pick projection I keep hearing from those who seem delusional.

bigblahla
12-17-2012, 02:54 AM
Where was his production against Illinois?

College fan not NBA fan but our guards had a lot to do with our bigs lack of production that and Big 10 zebras who enjoy rugby more than basketball.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

cjm720
12-17-2012, 07:03 AM
The hyperbole and hope is staggering in this post. KO is a fabulous player that has really worked on his game and body. But the NBA talk only harms our players and is way premature. NBA likes athletic players and that's one of his biggest weaknesses.

jim77
12-17-2012, 09:43 AM
The hyperbole and hope is staggering in this post. KO is a fabulous player that has really worked on his game and body. But the NBA talk only harms our players and is way premature. NBA likes athletic players and that's one of his biggest weaknesses.

Which is why Larry Bird had such a crappy career.....go watch that dunk again. The defender wasn't even close to blocking it. I don't know if he'll get drafted or not but, alot of our future opponents are scratching their heads about now. That fade away shot he dropped in the game was unguardable. Early in his GU career you could tell he knew what to do....except his body couldn't do what he wanted to do. Now you're seeing what he can do. NASSSSSTY!

I'd like to see some new headbands also....maybe one (2in. wide) with little bulldog heads totally around it....more awesomnesss!

basketballzag
12-17-2012, 09:57 AM
KO right now is at best a late 2nd rounder. He needs one more year under his belt and he jumps to top 15 next year IMO. His game still needs a bit more refining and he needs to bulk his strength up just a little more which I am sure he will do in the off-season. Unless he absolutely explodes in Jan/Feb/March which I don't envision (very few players explode) it would be highly beneficial for him to stay for his senior year.

Zagdawg
12-17-2012, 11:28 AM
What events are taking place this summer for team Canada--where Kelly might go play for them?

Or does he stick around this summer and get prepared for his final year to get ready to play NBA ball?

mgadfly
12-17-2012, 11:49 AM
For many of the reasons people have over-valued past Zags, I think they are undervaluing KO's NBA value. The NBA does not draft on athleticism, it drafts on potential, and anytime someone KO's size can do the things he can do, and seems to be improving the way he is, it increases his perceived ceiling (thus his value).

Being a great college player isn't the same and confuses the issue about NBA value.

KO will not ever be a lottery pick, in my opinion, because those spots are often times reserved for younger players with heaps of potential. He is a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder because there will be at least 1 GM out there that wants a 7-footer with that size/skill potential. If he comes back and does not improve the perception of improving to an unknown ceiling will be replaced and may negatively impact his value.

Mojo13
12-17-2012, 12:33 PM
What events are taking place this summer for team Canada--where Kelly might go play for them?

Or does he stick around this summer and get prepared for his final year to get ready to play NBA ball?

Kelly will very likely be involved with Canada basketball this summer. The FIBA Americas tournament to qualify for the World Championships (more important than the Olympics) is this summer.

There is a golden generation of young players coming up for Canada. Basketball Canada knows this and revamped in order to get their act together. i.e. Steve Nash as GM, Jay Triano as coach, reaching out early to the youngsters. They also sort of cleared out the old gaurd to push forward with a youth movement. These next couple summers will be very important to the next decade of participation by potential National team players. They are not going to want to miss out.

Kelly has a bit of a head start and built some goodwill by playing the past few summers with Team Canada. So awsome to see him progress. I expect Pangos, Olynyk and Sacre to all be involved in some form.

OZZY
12-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Kelly's body of work to date, including his performance at the FIBA World Championships (playing against some NBA pros), has him on the NBA radar, anyone who thinks otherwise has thier head in the sand. From what I understand, a major shoe company has had him projected as a potential 1st rounder since after his FIBA 2010 performance. Sure he does not have the outright athleticism of the elite prospects, but he has a very high BB IQ and is now more able to do what he has wanted to do all along (not as clumsy).

Mojo13
12-17-2012, 01:37 PM
It was the 2011 FIBA Olympic Americas qualifying tournament (Canada failed to qualify) where Kelly got a start and went 19 points and 12 rebounds against Argentina loaded with NBA players. I think Canada was eliminated by that point and they started playing the youngsters. It was noticed.

OZZY
12-17-2012, 01:58 PM
It was the 2011 FIBA Olympic Americas qualifying tournament (Canada failed to qualify) where Kelly got a start and went 19 points and 12 rebounds against Argentina loaded with NBA players. I think Canada was eliminated by that point and they started playing the youngsters. It was noticed.

It was actually when Rautins turned to Kelly the previous year in Turkey.

Kelly played very well in losses to France and Spain and this caught the eye of not only the shoe company, but also a couple of Euroleague teams.

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fwcm/player/p/eid/4728/pid/69312/rid//sid/4728/tid/257/profile.html

Mojo13
12-17-2012, 02:09 PM
That's right...i remember that now.

I remember being pretty dejected that Team Canada had to fill out its roster with unproven, skinny mid-major sophmores.

That Canadian team was pretty ugly.... I think they even brought K-Pang along to get some experience and wear a HelloKitty back-pack around Europe.

Hopefully it all pays off, and we move from laughing stock to respectability in the world bball circles.

It all rests on Wiggins....the chosen one. The rest of the pieces will fall in place around him. Hopefully K.O. becomes a key piece.

coolhandzag
12-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Kelly. You're doing great and have made many improvements in your game. The ballclub needs you in the here and now! This season could be big. The NBA and the Canadian National team can wait.....at least until April.