PDA

View Full Version : Did Seattle respond well?

Zag 77
12-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I would like to hear from folks who were there how the game seemed to be received by Seattle. Did we get the right amount of attention or did the Seattle media downplay it? After all, the reason we play this game is to make GU a little more prominent in the Seattle market, attract students, reward the Seattle alums, etc.

Lewey
12-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I didn't watch much TV, but there was a front page Bud Withers article. Front page of the sports section that is. Also a front page article on the EWU football game. Pretty good for Eastern WA reporting in Seattle.

Section 116
12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Attendance was 16241, that is pretty well received!

zagzilla
12-15-2012, 09:11 PM
10th anniversary of the Battle In Seattle.

Great crowd. Over 16,000 there. Front page stories in the sports section today and yesterday. Probably tomorrow as well.

Crowd was very loud and the kennel club made the trip. Definitely better crowd than what I saw at the Kennel vs WVU (albeit in a blowout) last month. Adam Morrison's bank shot vs OK St was named the top play in BIS history. He was there tonight and got a standing O.

Tonight they announced that the 4 largest crowds ever to see a college basketball game in the state of Washington have been during the BIS over the past few years. Didn't sound right given that Seattle had the Final 4 twice but even so the Huskies can't get crowds like this. LOL

Happy to say I have attended every BIS game and they seem to be getting better and better.

ZZ

adoptedzag
12-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the writeup, ZZ!

Zag365
12-15-2012, 10:28 PM
The Key was full; the crowd was into it. I keep hearing that K2 crowd is often passive (except for KC). The Seattle crowd gets up and claps in unison to Zombie Nation, cheers every good play, stands up during start of game and jumps up when exciting plays occur.

The Seattle media, on the other hand, doesn't give the game much build-up or coverage for as well-attended and high-profile it is. You would think with a ranked local team (GU) and a local kid starting (GBJ) that there would be a lot more coverage.

Hoopaholic
12-16-2012, 04:14 AM
And across town the uw arena was only half full.....as I was watching that game I made the comment that it appears many of the husky supporters skipped their game to go watch a real basketball game at the key

NotoriousZ
12-16-2012, 06:26 AM
And across town the uw arena was only half full.....as I was watching that game I made the comment that it appears many of the husky supporters skipped their game to go watch a real basketball game at the key

Ratball must be even less effective after your one-and-doners bolt for the NBA. Can't say that I've seen the huskies this year, but with all the talk of what an "ugly" game the BIS started out to be I'd imagine if you wanted to see some real ugly hoops you could watch a few minutes of any uw game played thus far.

Of course I'm only speculating.

Hoopaholic
12-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Being a hoop junkie I bounced between them and several other games...I don't particularly like their style of "open gym" basketball

willandi
12-16-2012, 08:13 AM
So there were two local teams in Seattle last evening...a ranked team and a rank team. Good to hear, and so glad the Ranked team won. Haven't checked on the other, yet!

zagmantis2001
12-16-2012, 09:23 AM
UW finally put away a Jackson State team that let St. Mary's post 120 points and their average loss is by 29 points. I don't think they have won a game yet. UW is just awful. Going to be a long year. Lots of empty seats and lots of bad basketball. They don't have a free bball board anymore but I'm sure the premium site is in full meltdown.

willandi
12-16-2012, 10:17 AM
For the first time, I have to agree with Romar's decision to NOT play the Zags.It also says a lot about the NBA that they draft on athleticism and potential, rather than talent.
I also appreciate the Zags players more and more, willing to forego a possible contract to play with a TEAM, not a combination of possibilities! :cheers:

TacomaZAG
12-16-2012, 10:36 AM
The west side represented really well. There was abundant ZAG wear on full display yesterday, we even ran into a family of ZAGS having dinner at the same restaurant in the International District before the game. There was lots of ZAG love in the building yesterday, from the Kennel Club kids (particularly liked the group dressed up in Wizard of Oz gear with the sign "You're not in Kansas anymore") to all the west side grads and fans out in force to support the guys and the program. Saw Pendo up in the stands before the game, saying "Hi" to friends and friends of the program. Rem was even featured in the "air-guitar contest" during one of the TV time-outs.

Love the BIS, and it's always great to show the Fuskies what a real BB program and fans look like. We always go down to the game in Portland as well, but the yearly energy at the Key speaks volumes about the program and the school.

Go ZAGS

DixieZag
12-16-2012, 10:55 AM
When one hears about the UW's struggles this season and especially last night, combine that with Thiel's devastating article which was as big a hit on the UW as it was a compliment to GU, and finally the attendance issues - - I have a hard time seeing Romar survive this year barring a miraculous turnaround.

I don't like Romar but I also do not like the thought of the Huskies and their money getting a hot, young coach who we will have to compete for recruits and attention. I guess it'll all play out and we'll be fine one way or another.

Hoopaholic
12-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Roman is safe but going to have to fill the cupboards soon

TheGonzagaFactor
12-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Ratball must be even less effective after your one-and-doners bolt for the NBA.

Or the D League ala Wroten.