PDA

View Full Version : KO Dunk...

btzag
12-15-2012, 06:49 PM
...and T.

Love it. This team needs a little fire and attitude to say sometimes we are going to dunk in your face and tell you about it.

Also love Few's discipline and the way he dishes out punishment however this is hoops and sometimes you need some of that confidence. KSU was trying to get physical with the Zags and nothing wrong with dishing back.

DixieZag
12-15-2012, 07:08 PM
I would maybe have an issue with it if Kelly had not gotten completely mugged the last couple times down the floor, he had been literally put to the ground by two guys and the refs stood over him

I have no problem with it. I said last week that I wanted a team that would fight for itself and they didn't play all that well tonight but they really really fought for it.

Great dunk, too.

NEC26
12-15-2012, 07:10 PM
It was nothing but dumb. He showed fire with the dunk and just made a stupid mistake releasing some frustration after the dunk. Not sure why some here seem to like a pointless gesture that does nothing but hurt the team. They were already playing with fire and working there buts off out there.

Hoopaholic
12-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Foolhardy timing and situation. Created 4 th foul and then he fouls out..early in game would love it not while game in reach and you are key player. Love the dunk and aggresiveness

zagapotomus
12-15-2012, 07:11 PM
What was priceless was the Few stare down afterwards. "I'm not mad, just disappointed."
Good for Kelly! GO ZAGS!

gamagin
12-15-2012, 07:12 PM
that a hole on him was pushing, kicking, shoving and cheating every time I saw them. It was good for KO to let it out. Only wish he had done the exact same team looking another direction. But that's it.

NEC26
12-15-2012, 07:17 PM
that a hole on him was pushing, kicking, shoving and cheating every time I saw them. It was good for KO to let it out. Only wish he had done the exact same team looking another direction. But that's it.

Yeah he was but what does it accomplish to get a T. The Dunk was statement enough. He just erased a great play plus took himself out of the game and consequently fouled out as soon as he got back in. It was dumb period. Have to have more self control in that situation.

RenoZag
12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Refs review tapes of games. . .KO's going to get closer looks going forward, so I don't think it was a smart move on his part.

But hey, it's just a basketball game. Emotions are going to run high from time to time.

Ekrub
12-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Only dumb thing was doing it with three fouls. Otherwise I love seeing energy and passion. Something we seemed to be missing

willandi
12-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Refs review tapes of games. . .KO's going to get closer looks going forward, so I don't think it was a smart move on his part.

But hey, it's just a basketball game. Emotions are going to run high from time to time.

So if the Refs review games, these Refs won't be working anytime soon? Right?

gamagin
12-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah he was but was does it accomplish to get a T. The Dunk was statement enough. He just erased a great play plus took himself out of the game and consequently fouled out as soon as he got back in. It was dumb period. Have to have more self control in that situation.

had the situation been different, I'd tend to agree. Perhaps you could signal when is best to tell your nemisis to stuff it. I believe, absent whatever language he may have used, that the ref overreacted. I've seen a helluva lot worse body language after a stuff that didn't draw a flag. what he said I do not know.

But tsk tsking the mvp after essentially icing the game. Well, I'll recover.

DixieZag
12-15-2012, 07:30 PM
I just can't really get all that upset about it. He didn't shove anyone, he didn't commit the very very hard foul on someone. He jawed at the same guy who had hauled him to the ground two trips before.

Yes, it would be better if he had not gone to such an extreme but I just think that this team needed some oomphhh to it.

Maybe its b/c we looked like we let a team walk all over us last week and didn't look like we wanted to fight for it that I just don't see this in all that negative a light. I saw our guys with the same tough shooting night this week and in a game against a team that was really really physical (and could only beat us by making it a football game) and they stood up to them and out fought them.

I usually am the last guy to say this but I thought it indicated something good about this team. I am just as worried about our defense and turnovers as before, but I am not worried about whether they have the stomach to get into it.

RenoZag
12-15-2012, 07:31 PM
So if the Refs review games, these Refs won't be working anytime soon? Right?

No, refs of upcoming games review film/video of the teams they will officiate. . .they will see the taunt and likely have a quick trigger on KO if he edges towards that kind of behavior. I understand why he was fired up but it just might come back to bite him ( and the Zags ) in the butt at a future date.

You can bet opposing players will see the footage and decide it might be worth it to try to "get into KO's head" and lure him into picking up a cheap foul or even a "T". Hopefully he won't take the bait.

gamagin
12-15-2012, 07:35 PM
No, refs of upcoming games review film/video of the teams they will officiate.

KO was wrestled to the ground twice without a whistle. And seldom could use both of his arms, while the ref stood about 5-10 feet away, ignoring the mugging, like a cop on the take.

krozman
Anyone who thinks it was good is the same person who believes in "good losses," moral victories, and the tooth fairy. You play the game to win and to get better whether you're ahead by 15 or struggling to get the win, because WHEN the game is truly on the line, that technical foul is the difference between winning and losing.

Mark Few agrees with me by the way. Just queue up "the stare."

NEC26
I just think its ridiculous that some here seem to think this team has no fire or spirit unless they are jawing at someone or getting in someones face.
It seems very much like some fans here were getting frustrated and wanted to see the players showing frustration too which is quite simply stupid and costly to the team and serves no purpose other than chest puffing.

Hoopaholic
12-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Agree. Nec

willandi
12-15-2012, 07:40 PM
No, refs of upcoming games review film/video of the teams they will officiate.

If the officiating isn't also reviewed, then there is a problem!

NotoriousZ
12-15-2012, 07:41 PM
It was great that we had a big lead when it happend. Kelly and the whole team should learn from it, because it's definitely a stupid thing to do. Channel that aggression into another windmill dunk next time down the court.

snebzag
12-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Dunk it. Make the play. Give a look to your opponent. Keep mouth shut. Act like you have been there before. Run down court. Play Defense.

Simple.

CouchPotatoZagFan
12-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Longtime Zag fan..1st post. I for one liked it. Thats for all the practices and taking stats last year for games and all the work in the weightroom that Kelly let off a little steam...As far as I am concerned he deserved to show a little passion for all his hard work and let his emotions get the best of him playing the game he has worked so hard to get to play. I doubt it is somthing you will see him doing alot....But I loved it....Kelly O is back!

Baseline
12-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Few said at the start of the season that he wanted the players to be more aggressive and tough, when guys are getting beat on and the coach wants tough this happens.
Stupid move, but fully understandable.

Hoopaholic
12-15-2012, 07:54 PM
I loved the passion too but as one of the critical team players that is an important link to our success and an upper class man you MUST know situation, three fouls with almost ten minutes left in a very critical ball game is not the time to take a t and get your fourth foul.........you must know situation and do it at right moments

U Zig, I Zag
12-15-2012, 07:57 PM
There was more to the play itself then just the dunk. There was some history there, obviously - whatever KO was referencing (pushing by the KSU player I would assume) meant something to KO.

If we are behind? Or it's tight? then no... but then and otherwise... well, this team could use a little p#ss and vinegar.

Hoopaholic
12-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Dower was giggling when he subbed in for ko....wonder if he told ko to take wide berth when going to the bench

CB4
12-15-2012, 07:59 PM
"My name is Kelly Olynyk. I just dunked on you. I embarrassed you, presumably in front of your family and friends, and on national television. I am better than you, both physically and fundamentally as a basketball player. My team is better than yours. I don't like how you were taking cheap shots against me earlier and this is how I'm responding. I will probably get a T, but my adrenaline is pumping through my veins, and we are up by a considerable amount so it doesn't even matter. I will always be better than you. Good-day."

gamagin
12-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Longtime Zag fan..1st post. I for one liked it. Thats for all the practices and taking stats last year for games and all the work in the weightroom that Kelly let off a little steam...As far as I am concerned he deserved to show a little passion for all his hard work and let his emotions get the best of him playing the game he has worked so hard to get to play. I doubt it is somthing you will see him doing alot....But I loved it....Kelly O is back!

I think you said it best here, too. Especially about not seeing him do this again, or very often.

DixieZag
12-15-2012, 08:03 PM
It was number 4 play of the day on Sports Center. Which I simply state as FYI and in defense of nothing.

It is possible to say how you feel about it without belittling another in Zag on Zag crime here. There is a legitimate point to both sides - the "good fire and fight" side and the "stupid situational awareness side" - - I am just glad that I know that my feelings are not "the truth."

It must be nice to know that you are right to the point that you are fine with giving a lecture to others.

DixieZag
12-15-2012, 08:04 PM
"My name is Kelly Olynyk. I just dunked on you. I embarrassed you, presumably in front of your family and friends, and on national television. I am better than you, both physically and fundamentally as a basketball player. My team is better than yours. I don't like how you were taking cheap shots against me earlier and this is how I'm responding. I will probably get a T, but my adrenaline is pumping through my veins, and we are up by a considerable amount so it doesn't even matter. I will always be better than you. Good-day."

I said "Good Day sir!"

Very nice translation.

Zagsker
12-15-2012, 08:05 PM
It was nothing but dumb. He showed fire with the dunk and just made a stupid mistake releasing some frustration after the dunk. Not sure why some here seem to like a pointless gesture that does nothing but hurt the team. They were already playing with fire and working there buts off out there.

'Merica!!!!!!!

the dunk was sweet and the "see what I did to you" look and remark was even better

Pargo the Destroyer
12-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Great dunk. Love the fire and attitude. We don't live in the "Hoosiers" era of basketball.

Zagsker
12-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Anyone who thinks it was good is the same person who believes in "good losses," moral victories, and the tooth fairy. You play the game to win and to get better whether you're ahead by 15 or struggling to get the win, because WHEN the game is truly on the line, that technical foul is the difference between winning and losing.

Few was obviously looking at KO and thinking "you are one badarse mofo...play on playa"

sittingon50
12-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah, smart move. After all, he's not going to get pushed, shoved, kicked or scratched during a WCC game.

SWZag
12-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Dunk it. Make the play. Give a look to your opponent. Keep mouth shut. Act like you have been there before. Run down court. Play Defense.

Simple.

Agreed.

And there would have been nothing wrong with screaming and showing excitement if he hadn't done it in the direction of the other player. That's where he went wrong. Hopefully he'll direct his excitement elsewhere next time.

SWZag

sonuvazag
12-15-2012, 08:40 PM
I am really stoked about seeing a consistently high level of energy coming from KO. He is playing with an intensity to rival the indomitable Mr. Hart.

Some good advice being passed around in this thread and I loved Zagsker's post. Kelly doesn't have a lot of experience playing as such a physical presence but he is off to a great start. Mentally and emotionally, he still has a lot of room for growth which is why he needs to test the boundaries. He has only just developed into his 7ft body and at the rate he is improving, he's going all the way to the top.

BULLDOG#1
12-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Not the smartest reaction to the dunk, but...

Doesn't it feel like KO has been serving notice to college hoops? I am amazed at tough he's become. K-state had no answer for him. His play is giving Harris room to move. Great 1-2 punch.

Zagtana
12-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Can only assume what precipitated KO's action, but his dunk and overall play - and the final score - was enough of a answer to whatever it was. Love KO - keep it going big guy.

HOOTER
12-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Deservingly made the SC top plays, with no mention of the T.

webspinnre
12-15-2012, 10:16 PM
I got no problem with the flex and reaction - you just can't do it to a guy. Turn to your bench and do it and you're fine. It's a learning moment, and it didn't end up hurting us, so alright.

Oregonzagnut
12-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Few was saying with his stare "You just erased that dunk. Our dunk, MY dunk too. I made you, supported you. I've been patient, honest, caring and above all taught you everything you know about Div1 ball and this is how you treat me?"

Inside Few said "Finally made a man out of you but you better not do that again! I know you wont so its OK. BTW good game are you ready to lead us?"

Zag79
12-16-2012, 12:10 AM

Bravo, and welcome to the board. I loved it, didn't have a problem with it at all.

BTB
12-16-2012, 12:28 AM
No problem with it, he's been getting the heck beat out of him the last few games and he is responding with fire and passion. A big dunk and a technical like that sets the tone and tells the team that they better step up and play with the same intensity that their leader is playing with. And yes, Kelly is their leader.

jim77
12-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Bravo, and welcome to the board. I loved it, didn't have a problem with it at all.

me neither.

Zagquette
12-16-2012, 03:50 AM
Lest not forget that Alex Hernandez's locker was cleaned out after committing this bone-headed technical in 2002. When he slammed the ball on the ground.

Don't think Kelly will be kicked off the team, but few definately won't let this one slide. Dont be surprised if Sam or Karno starts the next one.

http://http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20020108&slug=hoop08

New Mexico had a chance to win in regulation after Gonzaga's Alex Hernandez was assessed a technical with seven seconds left for arguing a charging call on Dickau.

Lobos guard Ruben Douglas, who along with Marlon Parmer sparked a second-half rally that erased a 12-point Zags lead, missed both free throws.

ZagaZags
12-16-2012, 04:32 AM

Kelly Olynyk after the monster jam said " thats what I'm talking about"

rijman
12-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Kelly is a very smart player, he got caught up in the moment and got emotional, he learned his lesson, not the first for his behavior this season. He will move on from this and I'm betting we won't see that happen again.

bartruff1
12-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Agreed.

And there would have been nothing wrong with screaming and showing excitement if he hadn't done it in the direction of the other player. That's where he went wrong. Hopefully he'll direct his excitement elsewhere next time.

SWZag I don't think he will do that again...

webspinnre
12-16-2012, 07:21 AM
I don't think he will do that again...

Exactly. And this is the time to have something like that happen, in a convincing win when the game isn't particularly close.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Noticed in the post game handshake line that Kelly hugged the guy who he talked trash to after the dunk. It was a more spirited and friendly hug than normal. My guess, those 2 talked all night to each other, fought their asses off, and at the end of the game they acknowledged their respect for each other. The trash talk is part of the game nowadays.

Pleasant Peninsula
12-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Lest not forget that Alex Hernandez's locker was cleaned out after committing this bone-headed technical in 2002. When he slammed the ball on the ground.

Don't think Kelly will be kicked off the team, but few definately won't let this one slide. Dont be surprised if Sam or Karno starts the next one.

http://http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20020108&slug=hoop08

Holy Toledo. These two occurrences have absolutely nothing to do with each other. And you are saying Alex got kicked off the team for committing a dumb T? I don't think so.

Reborn
12-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Great play by Kelly. I understand his passion. He will learn from his mistake. Few delt with it appropriate too. His stare said it all. I will be very surprised if he is punished any further, by keeping him from starting. Kelly is too good of a player to punish him any further,for a small mistake. Move on!!!

Go Zags!!!

treehorn
12-16-2012, 10:46 AM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x308/treehorn06/KOHarrisK-State212-15-12_zps6049ca35.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x308/treehorn06/31987400_zps173f04cf.jpg

jim77
12-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Love that picture!

Kelly's a smart guy....it won't happen again. Just don't cut that hair.....remenber what happened to sampson..

zagfan1970
12-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I LOVE that on the tracker the score that is showing is "Man City" how appropriate! Didn't anyone read EH's comments about practice this week? We were FIGHTING! Fighting each other and that's how it SHOULD be. When you are beating on your own guys all week of course some of that will channel into a game. I LOVED it! Fire, passion, emotion! When Rob left everyone was asking who our "tough guy" leader was going to be. We found him in an even tougher more focused and fundamentally talented version. The reason it was #4 on top ten had a LOT to do with the reaction. It's the typical reaction seen by PRO's. My ONLY wish is that he had turned slightly away from the KSU player, maybe even turned to Harris.

HOOTER
12-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Just don't cut that hair

I agree. That hair works for him. I know it's for a good cause bit I really would like to see him keep it for a while.

I LOVE that on the tracker the score that is showing is "Man City" how appropriate!

Good catch!

gamagin
12-16-2012, 11:58 AM
is a poster.

CDC84
12-16-2012, 03:45 PM
It isn't that big of deal folks. Especially because it didn't happen at a critical juncture in the game. Not saying it was a smart play, but gees.......

Now if it happens again........that's a different story.

UberZagFan
12-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Holy Toledo. These two occurrences have absolutely nothing to do with each other. And you are saying Alex got kicked off the team for committing a dumb T? I don't think so.

Yeah, no kidding. Pretty sure that Alex played in the next game and also in the remaining 20 or so games GU had after that. But for a point of reference, he only played about 5 minutes in the game following that T in a season where he was averaging in the high teens. Doubt that KO will only play 5 minutes in GU's next game but considering the opponent, that would be a possibility even without the T.

rennis
12-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I loved it. I know it pissed off coach and rightfully it should...every time.

But from a fan's perspective, when the game isn't in the balance, a fiery technical after an overwhelming display of athleticism is never an unwelcome sight. Keep it coming TKO, keep it comin....

(Ps, anyone else waiting for EH and TKO to get on the same page one of these days? I swear, if they could both play big at the same time...watch out.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

montanazag88
12-16-2012, 09:19 PM
If I saw the replay correctly after the technical, Kelly looked disgusted in himself and appeared to say "my bad." Anyone able to confirm this? Anyway, he is likely not to do it again AND Few is absolutely right to admonish. It's a lesson for later. I think Lou Holtz (?) said NEVER TAUNT YOUR OPPONENT AND GIVE HIM MOTIVATION TO COME BACK WITH RESOLVE AND CHANGE THE MOMENTUM.

Few's look needs to be and will be front and center in KO's mind when he throws one down in a heated moment.

Oregonzagnut
12-16-2012, 09:31 PM

Alex works for Few now so I think Few can forgive and forget (and reward).

SWZag
12-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Alex works for Few now so I think Few can forgive and forget (and reward).

Agreed. But this also may mean that the thread about how high KO will go in the draft is pointless. KO isn't going to the NBA, he's going to the GU sidelines!! :cheers:

SWZag

bigblahla
12-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Love that picture!

Kelly's a smart guy....it won't happen again. Just don't cut that hair.....remenber what happened to sampson..

Yep Sampson got whipped by Chaminade. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

GUZagDenver
12-17-2012, 06:04 AM

Just so you know, I was sitting right by the bench, and after Kelly sat down after being taken out, Giacoletti and Tommy Lloyd both came over to tell him they liked the dunk. Word for word quote from Giacoletti: "Hey, don't worry about it, that was F*^%ING AWESOME"

tobizag
12-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Just so you know, I was sitting right by the bench, and after Kelly sat down after being taken out, Giacoletti and Tommy Lloyd both came over to tell him they liked the dunk. Word for word quote from Giacoletti: "Hey, don't worry about it, that was F*^%ING AWESOME"

:clap:

awesome!

rennis
12-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Word for word quote from Giacoletti: "...that was F*^%ING AWESOME"

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA6ahpdaMuPzLe0yMiCPJKE64vt_V6H nIOxoM4CD-eJxp8ez0ymxpMPKoXzQ

Zagquette
12-17-2012, 07:36 AM

http://http://community.seattletimes...08&slug=hoop08

Quote:
New Mexico had a chance to win in regulation after Gonzaga's Alex Hernandez was assessed a technical with seven seconds left for arguing a charging call on Dickau.

Lobos guard Ruben Douglas, who along with Marlon Parmer sparked a second-half rally that erased a 12-point Zags lead, missed both free throws.

Yeah, no kidding. Pretty sure that Alex played in the next game and also in the remaining 20 or so games GU had after that. But for a point of reference, he only played about 5 minutes in the game following that T in a season where he was averaging in the high teens. Doubt that KO will only play 5 minutes in GU's next game but considering the opponent, that would be a possibility even without the T.

I didn't make this up:

"Last year, swingman Alex Hernadez risked expulsion from the team after an ill-timed snit cost Gonzaga a technical foul and very nearly the New Mexico game, followed by another technical against Portland" - Introduction to Bravehearts pg. xviii Bud Withers (2002) Braveharts

I didn't say he was kicked off the team. But his actual locker was cleaned out. There was a story written about it by Bud or in the Spokesman or SI, but I couldn't find the actual reference. Help anyone?

The point I was making is that Few isn't going to put up with stupid mistakes, never has.

I would disagree that it wasn't at a critical juncture in the game. It was still close and getting the T erased the momentum that they Zags were building at that time.

BTW, great dunk....

cjm720
12-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Word for word quote from Giacoletti: "Hey, don't worry about it, that was F*^%ING AWESOME"

Yea, this pretty much says it all!

jim77
12-17-2012, 09:23 AM
is a poster.

It is a poster.....had to look at it again this morning...I'm also really impressed with "E's" veinage maximus. Ray got it right....AWESOME!!!!!

zagzilla
12-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Nice one Rennis!

ZZ

bballbeachbum
12-17-2012, 06:17 PM
fun moment. wouldn't want to see KO do it over and over like that and get T'd and pick up the personal whenver he posterizes somebody, no. glad it didn't come back to bite of course

BUT it was an awesome response! very physical 1v1 matchup KState challenged him with. Kind of a maturing moment for KO imo...like 'get the eff off of me, I've arrived!!! Deal with it'

His point's been made, sportscenter showed the nation. Doubt we see him feel the need to state his case like that again.

But that was one heck of a statement!

sittingon50
12-17-2012, 06:29 PM
There were other issues going on with Alex. The T was one of several.

But he's got a degree & is still helping the program, so guess things worked out O.K.