PDA

View Full Version : K-State shoots 41% FG as a team.

Baldwinzag
12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
One of the worst FG shooting teams in D1 hoops.

They have somehow, someway connected on 42% of their 3pt shots in the 1st half. fwiw, they don't even make that % from inside the perimeter.

Pathetic perimeter defense.

How?

Wide open shots. Breakdowns all over the court. Uninspired play from GLE & numerous missed assignments from our guards, even including Mike Hart.

I realize the officiating is inconsistent and inequitable, but c'mon, we're up 6 pts and foul on the ONLY 3pt shot we actually defend?

We've accomplished a new low.......allowing an opposing team to shoot better from 3pt than they ever have from 2pt and shoot nearly 10 percentage points better from the perimeter than any game before them, and make the most 3pt shots in a HALF than they typically do in an entire GAME.

Ouch is all I have to say.

Hope it improves, same with our frantic play, unforced TO's, and random lineups.

We simply are not valuing possessions and don't deserve to win these games as long we we play this careless. No wonder the refs aren't rewarding us.

allnet59
12-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Kevin Pangos needs to stay in their guards grill. His guy has hit three bombs without even a hand in his face. Sloppy play all around. I smell another close loss

Baldwinzag
12-15-2012, 06:52 PM
2nd half has been a different story thus far. Defense has stepped up, and is flying around the perimeter.

Love the dunk and T by KO, yet not a great decision when its your 4th foul.

However, can't deny he's our best player, has the best momentum, and has played with the best effort since Thanksgiving.

Coach Few has to remind him to think about the foul situation, yet don't take away his passion, momentum, and all-around stellar play as of late...

let it ride this time.

Coach's glare was over the top, yet completely understand his frustration. Still gotta allow him to play, b/c he's shooting like 80% from FG and scoring 17 ppg.

Hoopaholic
12-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Held the 8 percentage points under their average...and shut down their stud very good defensive effort overall

CDC84
12-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Rodney McGruder, Wooden Award Candidate = 1-9 shooting, 4 pts. 5 turnovers.

Guy and Hart did a great job on him. Excellent doubling at times as well.

Hoopaholic
12-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Actually thought the key was the bigs opening up to give hart and edi clean lanes to avoid the rub off screens ......but edi and hart were in his grill all night long

Baseline
12-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Our 3 point shooting will limit what we do in march if it doesn't turn around.

I think I will put the kool-aid away and get back to worrying about beating SMC and BYU this year. GU is a good team, but not what the hype was, they need to improve a bunch and can. I'm hoping my March they are what we thought they were.

GZag
12-15-2012, 08:11 PM
December is a terrible month for the Zags. Years of improvement. On one night. I will take one loss!

2wiceright
12-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Our 3 point shooting will limit what we do in march if it doesn't turn around.

I think I will put the kool-aid away and get back to worrying about beating SMC and BYU this year. GU is a good team, but not what the hype was, they need to improve a bunch and can. I'm hoping my March they are what we thought they were.
+1 ...except...
This was one of the best defensive and rebounding teams in the country. The kind of team that would mug some of our more recent GU teams. We played a pretty controlled game, stuck with the game plan and won by 20. Yeah, they made it look ugly but we outrebounded them and had less turnovers.

We also held their Wooden Award candidate 1-9 shooting! That bodes well for handling St. Marys. Their bigs are sub-par (to be kind). And they play more of the style of ball we do- up-tempo. Kevin and Gary each had about 10 points (9 and 11 to be exact), but both did what they needed to do to win (Kevin had 6 assists tonight and played within himself). If we take Delladova out of the game (see Pacific blueprint) or even keep him close to his average, their weapons are limited this year more than any year I can remember.

By the tourneyment our guards to be much more formidable against just about anyone that doesn't play wrestle-mania!

We played as a team with a purpose again tonight. Kevin and Gary are too good of shooters to not get consistently hot. I think towards the end of the season this whole shooting slump anxiety will have been long forgotten about.(Just my 2 cents)...

Zag365
12-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Rodney McGruder, Wooden Award Candidate = 1-9 shooting, 4 pts. 5 turnovers.

Guy and Hart did a great job on him. Excellent doubling at times as well.

Was at the game. GLE and MH work their tails off keeping McGruder off his game. He was a complete non-factor. Super, super D.

bostonzagfan
12-15-2012, 11:05 PM
good d by the zags tonight for the most part.