PDA

View Full Version : Do we play 'White Wine and Cheese" basketball tomorrow?

combatcorpsmangulaw
12-14-2012, 03:35 PM
It's sad to watch a 6'4" guard score in the Paint against us in a home game. Mr. Paul's scoring in the paint would have run into a lot of resistance if Turief, Batista or Sacre were in the middle last week.

Sometime it seems to me that the Zags' big men are on a mission to never foul out of a game. Not speaking of intentional fouls - those aren't acceptable. But, it should raise a big man's ire when a 6'4" Guard keeps scoring in the paint.

When we played Michigan State last year, Green slaughtered us w/ 10' jump shots. We didn't have the fortitude to meet Mr. Green at or near the rim. So, he scored about 30 its. Mr. Paul wasn't disturbed while he was teaching us the art of scoring in the paint. I'm not referring to 3 point shots or bank shots that were Hail Mary's.

Whether we fans like to hear it or read it, White Wine and Cheese basketball won't fly against teams that have a real burning desire to win at home and on the road. I just don't think we've shown we have that fire. At least not yet.

MDABE80
12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
He does that to everyone. We like to think we're not just "everyone". We aren't but we didn't do as well as we could have. He did put on a clinic though. I usually thing if, someone ( Bell Hart, Edi) put their focus on a kid like Paul. they could stop this. Early on, there were two always on him. At the half, that didn't reappear. He went wild.

Reborn
12-14-2012, 09:43 PM
He doesn't that to everyone. We like to think we're not just "everyone". We aren't but we didn't do as well as we could have. He did put on a clinic though. I usually thing if, someone ( Bell Hart, Edi) put their focus on a kid like Paul. they could stop this. Early on, there were two always on him. At the half, that didn't reappear. He went wild.

He had 18 at the half.

SteelZag
12-15-2012, 11:08 AM
He had 18 at the half.

He was 3-6 from three in the first half and 2-3 from inside the arc. He was 2-3 from 3pt and 3-4 from 2pt with five free throws in each half. Spread his scoring pretty evenly as you pointed out.

Reborn
12-15-2012, 11:40 AM
If this thread is about Gonzaga being soft then I want to jump in. I'm watching the Indiana and Butler game, and it's very clear that both of these teams play hard nosed defense. Butler is hanging with Indiana because they are playing tough defense. Brad Stevens stresses hard nosed defense much more than Mark Few does, and it's most likely that that is why he has gone so far in the NCAA tournament. It also is very interesting to see how Indiana Hounds Clark. They WILL NOT give him a good outside shot.

When will Mark Few DEMAND that his teams play tough, hard nosed defense. Until he insists on this you can forget about the Zags going far in the NCAA tournament. Maybe one win again. I am so anxious to see how they play tonight.

MDABE80
12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
So we didn't guard him in either half. Perfect. That helps....

combatcorpsmangulaw
12-15-2012, 01:58 PM
If this thread is about Gonzaga being soft then I want to jump in. I'm watching the Indiana and Butler game, and it's very clear that both of these teams play hard nosed defense. Butler is hanging with Indiana because they are playing tough defense. Brad Stevens stresses hard nosed defense much more than Mark Few does, and it's most likely that that is why he has gone so far in the NCAA tournament. It also is very interesting to see how Indiana Hounds Clark. They WILL NOT give him a good outside shot.

When will Mark Few DEMAND that his teams play tough, hard nosed defense. Until he insists on this you can forget about the Zags going far in the NCAA tournament. Maybe one win again. I am so anxious to see how they play tonight.

I was watching the Memphis/Louisville game today. Memphis 'hawked' the ball and tormented Louisville -- an apt description is 'smothering' defense. Memphis played as though it was an affront to come into their arena and attempt to score. I was amazed how difficult it was for Louisville to try to run offensive plays against that pressure. Memphis did foul but had enough depth to bring in fresh players to continue the onslaught. Louisville won the game in spite of being harassed incessantly by Memphis. Any sports writer doing an article on that game would have to spend more time admiring Memphis' effort than the fact that the Number 6 team beat them.

Few et al needs to get some fire in his demeanor when things go wrong and players are complacent or playing out of control. It's Division 1 basketball after all.

zag buddy
12-15-2012, 02:15 PM
If I was to critizize coach Few it would be that when it is apparent that we are being outplayed for any reason he refuses to change stategies and just keeps sawing wood with faith that his way will work in the end which in the big games it usually doesn't. There is a time in a fight when you go "kamikaze" and it's your will against theirs and you throw the stategies out. I would like to see him in these situations tell his players - If you are open anytime shoot and do not, I repeat do not let them score. Period. Now go kick their azz. I believe in a losing effort if your players do not have 4 fouls they were not playing tough enough.