PDA

View Full Version : What were Few's exact words on conference realignment etc.?

tucsonzag
12-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Anyone know?

I've seen it referenced several times but haven't seen the actual quote. Thanks!

ZagMan in Philly
12-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Coach Few commented about conference realignment at the 13 min mark in The Mark Few show here after the L.C. State game.

http://www.justin.tv/philly_zag/b/347969953

tucsonzag
12-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Awesome thanks!

Here's the full quote for what it's worth. Not completely verbatim but pretty close.

Few to Heister (in the context of discussing Pacific joining the WCC):

"But you know who knows? I think that the message that I take out of this is you know Gonzaga we all we need to be ready and willing and nobody really knows where all [the WCC's upcoming changes] is gonna lead the end product. Whether we end up with some sort of BCS situation in basketball like we have in football or we continue to have 340 350 Division 1 schools that are all available and viable to go to the NCAA tournament you know if you talk to a lot of the people at the traditional Final Four type schools, I mean they think we're heading the direction of BCS-type situation. So you know not just football schools but the top schools will break off. It's gonna be interesting. It's interesting times right now. You start seeing Maryland leave the ACC, Syracuse leave the Big East. You could have never guessed in a million years that that would have happened. So I think it would be very naive and ignorant on our part to sit here and think that it's not gonna affect us someday. So we just know we gotta be ready to do what's best for Gonzaga."

jazzdelmar
12-14-2012, 08:37 AM
That passes for a valedictory address from the reticent Few. Which brings up a question no one has asked. Is Few all in on this? He would have to be, I am sure. But for someone who has been totally insulated from public and media scrutiny, how would he like dealing with the pugnacious BE media? True, they throw as many softballs as any alleged journalists in the US, but they do have the ability to dig in at times; see Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim. Holding a real press conference in the bowels of MSG after a tough loss may not hold much appeal for the coach.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Holding a real press conference in the bowels of MSG after a tough loss may not hold much appeal for the coach.

What's left of the Big East will be holding its conference tournament in the basement of St. Anthony's Parish Hall in Philly before too long.

jazzdelmar
12-14-2012, 08:41 AM
What's left of the Big East will be holding its conference tournament in the basement of St. Anthony's Parish Hall in Philly before too long.

hey, I have been in the basement of St Anthonys of Jersey City's armory...and heard how crazy Coach Hurley is with a team with three future pros, Bobby included, and it aint pretty but its an experience.

DixieZag
12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree that Few has benefited from being insulated from the hard core media scrutiny that goes on in some of the more major media centers in the country and I agree that he recognizes that as a benefit of where he is right now but it might not be quite as simple if he moves the Zags into a more national - power basketball conference.

But

I also think that Few is as competitive as they come. Few is the one who has bristled for years at being called "mid-major" and I really really doubt that if the Zags needed to go to a power conference in order to compete in a "BCS" type basketball format that Few would set aside his concerns about being in the spot light and put the team wherever required to be competitive for a final four.

Just my impression, could be wrong.