PDA

View Full Version : Live from New York!

jazzdelmar
12-14-2012, 04:14 AM
Live from New York, well, The New York Daily News, here are two reports on the BE changes. The first from Dick Weiss provides a little schadenfreude w respect to poor Ucon. It's also instructive to school who dally a little too long.

The second article puts the Zags possible membership in a wonderful, but accurate, light.

Dick Weiss column: The University of Connecticut wanted to be one of the first teams out the door when the ACC realignment talks began again in 2010.

Now it appears the Huskies could be left behind altogether when the seven Catholic Big East schools ó Villanova, St. Johnís, Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul, Providence and Seton Hall ó leave to form their own Catholic league.

Unless the ACC throws the Huskies a lifeline, the school in Storrs that has won three national championships in menís basketball and built a dynasty in womenís hoops could be a step away from Conference USA.

ESPN reported that UConn president Susan Herbst was on the phone Thursday pleading with the Catholic schools to stay. UConn is denying that story. Either way, Herbstís voice would not be heard.

Itís hard to feel sympathy for Herbst or the Huskies, who thought they were better than the company they kept and showed little empathy for the Big East.

UConn built its brand by leveraging the competitive tradition of the Big Eastís founding members ó St. Johnís, Georgetown and Providence. It benefitted from the fact that the league was one of ESPNís first great assets. Those programs helped establish the cable giant as the home of college sports. The Big East gave UConn a hoops legitimacy while helping Huskies football grow into a BCS program under then-AD Lew Perkins.

UConn didnít respect the camaraderie and affiliation with the non-football schools, so it is only appropriate that the Huskies, who gained warmth under the big blanket of the Big East, have been left out in the cold in this game of musical chairs.

UConn thought it was beyond the Big East, but the harsh reality is the Huskies are not as attractive as they would believe. The school does not have the same alumni bases as the giant Midwestern land grant institutions and although UConn is continuing to evolve academically, its national appeal is based on its basketball program, which would not have been possible without the Big East.

For basketball historians, UConnís situation is reminiscent of when Fordham left the MAAC, where its menís basketball team was winning 20-plus games a year, for the non-scholarship Patriot League in 1992, and when Boston College left the Big East, where it had won championships, in 2005 for the ACC. Both schools quickly faded into irrelevance, both regionally and nationally.

Daily News report: Itís the end of the Big East as we know it. And it may end up a flashback to what it used to be.

St. Johnís and the six other Big East schools that do not play major college football will sever ties with the rest of the conference, several sources confirmed to the Daily News. The schools will probably leave the conference rather than voting to dissolve it. Big East commissioner Mike Aresco is expected to speak with the presidents of the seven schools again Friday or Saturday. An announcement could follow.

St. Johnís and the other six Catholic schools would look for high-profile basketball programs to join them in a conference with nine to 12 teams. Already discussed among them are Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, Creighton and Butler.

A source at one of the schools said Gonzaga had approached them through back channels with an interest to be involved. Adding the high-profile Zags could make a television contract more valuable, but the costs in travel would have to be measured. A source at another school mentioned trying to get a team in the Boston market.

ZagMan in Philly
12-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Would love to have Notre Dame, Boston College and St.Joseph's into this mix somehow.
Can't wait for the news.

jazzdelmar
12-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Would love to have Notre Dame, Boston College and St.Joseph's into this mix somehow.
Can't wait for the news.

Now you're dreaming Phil. Notre Dame? BC is miserably happy in the ACC. Fordham can go to hell. I'm thinking Holy Cross, maybe the best academic RC affiliated school in the US. Here's the thing no one has yet pointed out. Most of the 7 teams about to leave are very good this year and most haven't been elite in years. Nova, Johns, the Hall, PC, DePaul have been living on the fumes of distantly earlier success. Another reason the Zags are so desirable.

cbbfanatic
12-14-2012, 07:20 AM
None of the 7 teams about to leave are very good this year and most haven't been elite in years. Nova, Johns, the Hall, PC, DePaul have been living on the fumes of well earlier success. Another reason the Zags are so desirable.

Nova went to the final four in 09, and led up to that with 3 more sweet 16s and an elite 8 in the span of 4-5 years. cant lump them with st johns, shu, depaul and providence. they're not even close

jazzdelmar
12-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Nova went to the final four in 09, and led up to that with 3 more sweet 16s and an elite 8 in the span of 4-5 years. cant lump them with st johns, shu, depaul and providence. they're not even close

Nova awful, just awful this year. Lost to Columbia and LaSalle. They're 6-4. Ever watch em? Just painful to see such a great program drift. Great suits on the coach, though.

cbbfanatic
12-14-2012, 07:47 AM
yeah, they suck this year.

but you're trying to tell me they can be lumped into the same "hasnt been good in years" category to which those other schools belong and that just isnt true.

they're way down, but still a strong brand and the second, third at worst, chip in all of this. a couple year span of poor performance isnt that big a deal, its about a future commitment and ability to compete

jazzdelmar
12-14-2012, 07:51 AM
yeah, they suck this year.

but you're trying to tell me they can be lumped into the same "hasnt been good in years" category to which those other schools belong and that just isnt true.

they're way down, but a strong brand and the second, third at worst, chip in all of this

i concede your point, CCBF. big picture, the BE is adrift esp the old guard. Zags would be the shining light at this point in time......

BobZag
12-14-2012, 09:24 AM
The legalities, red tape, exit fees, who gets what money, etc., needs to be resolved yet, and schools suing who-knows-who is probably on the horizon as the BE tries to hang on... I'd rather stay put until all the dust settles, then see if it's even feasible (travel...).

bigblahla
12-14-2012, 10:35 AM
The legalities, red tape, exit fees, who gets what money, etc., needs to be resolved yet, and schools suing who-knows-who is probably on the horizon as the BE tries to hang on... I'd rather stay put until all the dust settles, then see if it's even feasible (travel...).

Words of wisdom BZ. We're not going anywhere soon but the changing landscape of D1 hoops says we need to be fluid to opportunities that may come our way.

Go!! Zags!!!

titopoet
12-14-2012, 11:00 AM

No, since the 7 hold the power to dissolve the league, they hold the cards to leave without exit fees and on their own terms. The BE will let them go or they die. The 7 probably honor the 27 months, which allows them to spend the time setting up the new conference. Big East will be the new C-USA.

gamagin
12-14-2012, 12:47 PM
but I'd say we're not really in this conversation at all.

Only in that we initiated a conversation about what's going on and showed interest.

kitzbuel
12-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Yes, agreed. Getting on a bigger ship would indeed not be bad for the Zags, but I would like to make sure that ship has working life rafts before we get on it.

DixieZag
12-14-2012, 01:11 PM
but I'd say we're not really in this conversation at all.

Only in that we initiated a conversation about what's going on and showed interest.

Yeah, that is a little strange. I will say this. If the other schools were not interested in Gonzaga, I think that that must be based upon travel for non-basketball sports. It seems obvious from the fans that they want GU as part of their conference from a BB competition standpoint and I would think that that is true of the administrators at the schools also.

GU probably has the money to have all sports in a national conference, part of that is the reality that we already in the WCC have all sports travel quite a distance b/c we are so far north but that doesn't mean that other schools around the country want to send their soccer teams or tennis teams all the way out here.

rijman
12-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Now that everyone knows GU is in play and interested in an upward move, I can't help but wonder what other opportunities might come their way. I would be surprised if no other conference contacts GU before the dust settles on the Catholic conference. With the BE crumbling and SDSU reportedly waffling, does SDSU look to go back to the MWC and is there talk of expansion that might include GU or maybe a new conference. I just can't imagine there won't be at least one more suitor knocking on GU's door, especially with GU letting the world know they are willing to look at their options.

Oregonzagnut
12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Why leave OUR conference. The WCC is ours right now and we are king. We want a final four and changing conferences is going to help that how?

We need to get to another elite 8. Period. We need to win and go deeper in the tournament. The final four is the biggest measuring stick. Period. All this conversation proves Gonzaga needs something. But what it is no one can agree on. A new conference is not necessarily the answer.

But winning is. And we will win in the WCC. The 10th strongest conference in the nation!!!!