PDA

View Full Version : Great article about Mike Hart on spokesman.com

rawkmandale
12-12-2012, 05:56 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/dec/12/hart-shows-heart-and-more-zags/

Great article - love the guy.

Zag 77
12-12-2012, 07:22 PM
After making the team, Hart redshirted as a freshman. He spent hours at practice as a spectator or helping out on scout-team offense or defense. His seat at home games wasn’t actually a seat.

“I was supposed to sit in a seat behind the bench in the pie-shaped (section), three rows up,” he said. “I sat on a stair, behind the managers.”

Backtrack some more and Hart, reticent about lifting weights prior to the making the squad, was taking part in one of his first conditioning sessions, alongside Jeremy Pargo, Matt Bouldin, Josh Heytvelt and others on the 2009 team.

“We were lifting and getting timed doing stuff like push-ups and I actually lost to a couple of our grad assistants,” Hart recalled. “And Brian Michaelson (a former walk-on and current assistant director of basketball operations) beat me by like four minutes. To this day, I’ll come into the weight room and afterward Brian will always say, ‘I remember the first time you worked out, you couldn’t even do a push-up. I beat you.’ ”

Not any more. Hart is 207 pounds and one of the team’s strongest players. Several walk-ons have made impacts at Gonzaga, but none of their stories are quite like Hart’s. Mike Nilson, Ryan Floyd, Kyle Bankhead and David Stockton were invited walk-ons, recruits Gonzaga knew about and targeted, but didn’t have scholarships immediately available.

Hart compares very favorably to Mike Nilson in terms of drive and intensity on defense.

ZagsGoZags
12-12-2012, 08:23 PM
you can't say enough good about this guy

people on this board last year kept saying he shot well in practice and wished he would shoot more in games

he has, and I wish he would shoot more and more until his point of diminishing returns was reached

if the opponents expected him to drive and shoot more, they would have to come out to him more

jim77
12-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Nobody plays harder than Milke. I actually think he's the x-man to help get the Zags over the top. I kept wishing he'd launch a few against the Illini. He's got a nice stroke. He's a great pressure relief valve for the guards....and a smart passer.

To think that he averaged 8 points a game in HS.....which is nothing to write home about....to a regular for the 14th ranked team in the country is incredible! Hard work does indeed conquer all. Love watching him play.

SWZag
12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Great article. Love these stories. Have always been a fan of Hart and couldn't ask for more.

SWZag

Hoopaholic
12-13-2012, 04:24 AM
Part of what makes the zag nation community special...hope he enjoys his final year...special young man

titopoet
12-13-2012, 07:31 AM
He has made himself into a good D1 player through hard work. One of the all time great Zags. He has worked himself into being a pro (Europe) and think he will make a great coach. He has my admiration.

Ekrub
12-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Almost every time he comes on the court is stresses me out, and almost every time he's on the court he proves that there is no reason for me to stress about it. He knows his role and plays it perfectly.

Losing Hart and Harris After this year is going to hurt this team. Big shoes to fill

ZagLawGrad
12-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Good job, Mr. Hart.

hooter73
12-13-2012, 09:25 AM
The guy just deserves a standing ovation every time he walks into a room. What an example of Zag work and mentality, Im very happy for him and hope he keeps doing what he does best.

gamagin
12-13-2012, 10:07 AM
left me wishing for more about this great kid, how he handled his role and what lesson(s) his sort of perseverance could be for the many other young athletes out there.

ZagLawGrad
12-13-2012, 10:13 AM
The guy just deserves a standing ovation every time he walks into a room. What an example of Zag work and mentality, Im very happy for him and hope he keeps doing what he does best.

:agreed:

ZagLawGrad
12-13-2012, 10:14 AM
left me wishing for more about this great kid, how he handled his role and what lesson(s) his sort of perseverance could be for the many other young athletes out there.

:agreed:

Baseline
12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Great Hustle,
Great team member.
Steadies the team down when he comes in.
High IQ
Hope he has a great year, he deserves it.

cdools
12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
A lot of people have been commenting on the poor FT shooting but its ironic that every missed FT is a chance to see a favourite part of the game- Mike coming out of the pack with an offensive rebound off a miss and the Zags getting a fresh 35.

rawkmandale
12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Coach Few quote from the article:

“Nobody plays harder than Mike Hart. He’s intuitively brilliant on the defensive end, not only with what the other team is trying to do but he has great anticipation. Some of our issues (in Saturday’s loss to Illinois), we’re in zone and you had to go from the paint all the way out on a 3-point shooter. Mike makes it look easy whereas some of our other guys make it look impossible.”

I thought this was very illuminating, and should be read by all the GU Board members that fret about our 3 point defense.