PDA

View Full Version : The Big 12 Opponent Is...

Angelo Roncalli
08-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Oklahoma.

December 20th.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070801_2__Thete57105

lothar98zag
08-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Very cool. Hopefully GU can win this game like they did vs OSU a few years ago.

Hopefully GU will play a "cupcake" in K2 after finals (last day - Fri Dec 14) and before the game in Tulsa. If they end up playing @ Miami (FL) on Tues Dec 18, we'll all know who really controls GU's schedule...

...4 letter word, 1st 3 letters are E S P

BBskorer
08-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Like I said. Oklahoma. :)

Thanks for link, Angelo. Guess that Northridge game now gets moved to the other date (the 8th?).

CDC84
08-01-2007, 04:19 PM
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=4095

My #1 guess, although I was wrong about the participants already being determined.

KSTATEZAG
08-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Whew.

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
CRAP! I was wanting to play my in-state crap hole, Miz (grughha bluuuuuugh bluuuuuugh), ugh....sorry, I always vomit when I say their name. MIZZOU

BobZag
08-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Will you make the trip, woohoo?

Birddog, will you make it there?

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Will you make the trip, woohoo?

I've already text messaged my bro and the guy who came along with us to NYC last season and told them about this game, and they both want to make the trek, so yep, guess I'll be there. I'll take lots of pics for the board here. While I would much rather play Miz (bluggghh mufhhhhughhh blugh), ugh sorry, Mizzou, I am very excited to have another game within driving distance!!!

BobZag
08-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I hope to God there's an Idaho or PSU in K2 before this OU game, it's close to finals week. :confused:

Birddog
08-01-2007, 06:57 PM
More than likely! I've already begun the search for tickets, but it doesn't look like they are available yet.

Birddog

CDC84
08-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Birddog = Any thoughts about how good the Sooners might be this year? I know they have some nice incoming talent.

I share the same concerns with BobZag regarding the finals week thing.

Nevtelen
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
There really is no excuse not to have *some* low-major in that time slot. I mean, that's exactly why we schedule those types of teams. I'll be really dissapointed if we have teams like Idaho and CSUN on the schedule but dont play them in that slot.

I mean, I know that after finals, I was always in the mood to kick back, relax, and... load up on cupcakes to blow off all that stress. :)

CDC84
08-01-2007, 07:19 PM
BTW....Finals end on December 13. Maybe the Zags could play Idaho or someone on Saturday, Dec. 15. Prepare for OU on the 16th, 17th, 18th and then fly out on that nice jet on the 19th for the game on the 20th.

cbbfanatic
08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
oklahoma loses a decent amount. two of their top 3 scorers off of a relatively thin team from last year after the sampson departure cost them some incoming recruits... some good ones too -- if i remember correctly.

they bring in 5 star kid blake griffin who i LOVE. kid should be instant impact. great athlete, very skilled. this kid is going to be a very good college player. another low 4 star type PG joins griffin and a couple 3s for what is a respectable incoming class. still, i only see griffin doing big things as a frosh, but who knows -- inexact science.

my view is that theyre a few yrs from being competitive for the B12 upper tier -- at least. GU is catching them at a good time bc beating a program like this is always marquee, and these are probably the years to do it.

soonerterp
08-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Birddog = Any thoughts about how good the Sooners might be this year? I know they have some nice incoming talent.

I'm not B-Dog but I'll help ... I mean, I do live in Norman and I try to go to as many Sooners games as I can, and I have some loyalties to the Sooners ...

The prize recruit coming in is McDonalds AA F Blake Griffin, the younger brother of current Sooner forward Taylor Griffin. Not really having seen Blake play (other than in highlights of the McD's AA game) I don't feel like I can comment on him until I see him in an actual game in a Sooners uniform. Taylor Griffin, I think, is a better player than his numbers from last season might indicate (6.3 points, 5.2 rebounds, 1.4 assists in 23 minutes per game, averages).

OU WAS pretty thin last season and they lost from last season seniors Nate Carter, Michael Neal (who provided much of OU's scoring) and Chris Walker. OU also lost guard Bobby Maze, who left the team for reasons I still don't really know and apparently by mutual thing with Jeff Capel. Chris Early, who was to be a freshman this coming season, has already been dismissed from the team for violation of team rules.

Notable returnees are seniors G David Godbold and C Longar Longar, junior G Austin Johnson, and sophomore G Tony Crocker. Godbold, LL and Johnson are the only remaining Sooners that played under Kelvin Sampson.

G Omar Leary is a JC transfer (Northeastern Junior College, Colorado -- hmm I wonder if he ever played alongside Nik Raivio, although I think N-Rav left NCCC the season before and was injured during the 2006-07 season if memory serves), originally from Portland, Oregon. I think he'll have two years of eligibility left.

The returning Sooner that matters the most to me, however, is F Keith Clark, who will be returning from a torn ACL sustained not quite midway thru last season ... losing him for the year, in my view, changed OU's fortunes for the worse. 2006-2007 was the first time in some 25 years that OU did not have a postseason berth -- NCAA or NIT. Obviously Jeff Capel's mindset -- and who can blame him -- is to start a new postseason streak. Among the people I talk to around town, fans are very, very much behind Capel and are very impressed with him. And it helps that his teams play a style that's frankly more fun to watch than that of Sampson.

Ryan Wright, who transferred to Oklahoma from UCLA, won't be eligible to play this season per transfer rules.

How will the Sooners be in 2007-2008? I don't know yet, really. Having Keith Clark healthy again, to me, will make a huge difference (unless for some reason, he gets redshirted if he is not ready?). As I mentioned above, I think Blake Griffin, while talented, is still an unknown until he actually plays a college game. As seniors, Godbold and Longar Longar will be expected to fullfill the leadership roles expected of seniors PLUS continue to hone their games and hopefully without ... stuff (two seasons ago Godbold was on the wrong end of an on-court incident with a player from Villanova; if memory serves, he was suspended for a game; last season Longar Longar was suspended by the Big XII after an incident against Texas Tech). In general both of them, other than those rare, isolated incidents, have been model citizens. This is crunch time for them as their college careers are winding down. And most of all I think this is a season in which Jeff Capel can REALLY put his stamp on the OU program. He started that process last season; this season is the time to solidify it. (Of course what OU really needs -- and I'm being facetious here so take it for what it is -- is to borrow Courtney Paris when she's not playing with the girls ... because frankly she's tougher all by herself than some of the men there. The Big XII and the NCAA might frown upon that though).

How will they do in the Big XII? I don't know that either ... Kansas is scary, Texas is scary, OSU has other issues right now (their ballers keep getting busted for alcohol-type things), Texas Tech is MOR at best, and everybody else sucks. I don't even think A&M will sustain their momentum now that Gillespie is off to Kentucky and they've lost Acie Law (graduated/drafted by the Atlanta Hawks). Even so, I'd expect OU to be middle of the road to upper-lower half of the conference.

HTH.

---------------------------

Also found this on OU's official site (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073007aac.html) and thought you might enjoy ... all summer the OU official site has been revisiting "remarkable" games in Sooners history. In this case, against Loyola Marymount on 12/15/1990. And I don't post it to rub anything in because OU's a big school and LMU is a li'l school or anything like that. But when's the last time you saw a college basketball score of 172-112?

Birddog
08-02-2007, 03:07 AM
All I would add is that some of the pundits, (one in particular) think that Blake Griffen will be an impact player right away.

Birddog

eliezar
08-02-2007, 06:18 AM
My wife and I will be making the trip up from Dallas again. we are very excited to have this game within driving distance. We will probably also bring our 4 year old son who loves the Zags. Every time he sees a bulldog picture or a basketball he asks me if it is Gonzaga. he looks cute in his zags gear as well. We were at the OSU game a few years ago and had a great time. We got heckled a little bit by the sea of fans dressed in orange around us but we had the last laugh. If we bring our son maybe the heckling will be less. The tickets don't go on sale until Nov. 1 but I would like to know where other people are sitting when they get tickets. It would be nice to have some friendly faces around us this time.

Eliezar

GonzagaLove
08-02-2007, 10:09 AM
I believe that's pronounced OKRA-HOMA.

soonerterp
08-02-2007, 10:38 AM
All I would add is that some of the pundits, (one in particular) think that Blake Griffen will be an impact player right away.

?????

Would that pundit's initials be G.S. ??

No disrespect to BGriff but this is big boy school now. You can have all the talent in the world but you still have to walk before you can run.

Do I think BGriff can handle it? Yes. Do I think he'll have an immediate impact? That's negligible at this time.

gozagswoohoo
08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Can't say I blame you. Saw GU @ Mizzou a couple of years back. It was devastating. I have extreme dislike for that team, too.

Hey cool, I was at that game too! Small world. I live about an hour and 45 minutes from the Mizzou campus. I haven't been there since the zags game, but next time I am driving past it, I plan on urinating on one of the campus light-posts.

lothar98zag
08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey cool, I was at that game too! Small world. I live about an hour and 45 minutes from the Mizzou campus. I haven't been there since the zags game, but next time I am driving past it, I plan on urinating on one of the campus light-posts.
I knew this board was missing something this summer. :D Glad you're back.

ZagNative
08-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Woohoo! Don't ever go away and leave us like that for so long. We've been lost and confused and hardly ever laugh without you. Welcome back!

P.S. We're going to need a picture of that ...

gozagswoohoo
08-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Nothing like showing your distaste with a little urine. That's too funny! And it would be a very good reason to make your next trip to campus.

At the game, I noticed maybe 6 other people with Zag attire on. None sitting by us, though. You must have been one of them!

More than likely I WAS! I also remember there being very, very few zags fans there. Well, at least zags fans actually wearing zags gear.

And its great to be back on the board. I have been stopping and reading just about every day, but haven't posted much at all. Oh, and I will be sure to get a picture of the lamp post urification. ;)

Sarenyon
08-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Man, I was hoping for a game that would be relatively close this season. Of course the date will be cutting it very close. Hopefully, Uncle Sam gets me home in time.

My Brother in Law graduated OU and is a huge Sooner fan, so I'll have him get the tickets, while I'm still here in Iraq. If I can't make it, he still has plenty of friends that will want to go.

Very much looking forward to this.

TheZagPhish
08-03-2007, 07:33 AM
....while I'm still here in Iraq.

I sure hope you can make the game, too! Thank you for your service.

BobZag
08-03-2007, 02:48 PM
It looks like Cal-State Northridge (really down this year, I hear) in K2 on the 17th will be the Zags' braindead buster after Finals Week so the guys won't pull another Georgia on the 20th vs OU. :)

Birddog
08-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Would that pundit's initials be G.S. ??

No, it was the dwarf with bad hair.

About the tickets, it would be nice to know if the Zags get an allotment and where they would be prior to going through regular channels in OKC. Since I live here, I wouldn't be opposed to buying a bunch for others as long as there were some "guarantees" of payment. IIRC, the All Sports Assn (they put this tournament on), gives priorities to members, and I think one of my pals is a member. I'll ask him tomorrow.

When I visited their website, I think I saw that last years premo tickets were in the neighborhood of $50 each. I'm too lazy to check again.

Birddog