• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

GU in the Big East?

While the Big East's seven non-FBS basketball schools are deciding what course of action to take next, there is one school that would love to be a part of any new conference or conglomerate: Gonzaga. Sources say the Zags would love to part with the West Coast Conference and be a member of a national, branded basketball conference. The theory is that if Boise State and San Diego State can be in the Big East for football, then why couldn’t Gonzaga in a basketball version? Of course, the easy response is that football is played once a week and there is usually a maximum of four or five league road games. Still, the Zags are looking out for themselves and would like to be positioned with fellow national Catholic-based schools instead of regional ones in the WCC. Gonzaga might not have a choice, but is starting to be a bit more proactive if an opportunity arises.
    1. While the Big East's seven non-FBS basketball schools are deciding what course of action to take next, there is one school that would love to be a part of any new conference or conglomerate: Gonzaga.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Some Big East fan reaction:

AACbbs: The #1 Board for American Athletic Conference sports on the internet.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• cjm720
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that. 1) travel and 2) BE has deteriorated and 3) conference jumps seem to be only about money and that bugs me
      Go Zags!!!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

taking care of #1

i like the part about "looking out for itself." it's exhausting carrying the rest of the WCC all these years and GU's affiliation with the conference is a net negative -- particularly when it comes to recruiting and RPI quality -- at the end of the day. still, the travel of such an enterprise as is being speculated would be arduous at best. but, again, good to take care of #1.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

GU vs. Johnnies in the Garden.... Hmmmmmm.....
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
            GU vs Villanova in Philly...

Comment

• B Wayne
              Kennel Club
              • Nov 2007

Not surprised

I've been surprised no one on this board mentioned a recent comment Coach Few made on the Mark Few show. Coach Few said that times are rapidly changing in college basketball and Zags may have to act in their best interests regarding GU's conference alignment. Noteworthy to me was that he basically initiated the statement and that he didn't make the statement in response to a question. I came away from the comment that some specific discussion about changing conferences had already started at GU.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                better yet, gu vs st joe in the palestra.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Positive impact on recruiting, the other sports and travel might be an issue.

There could be some good games played on a regular basis-- good teams coming to town-- hmmm......

Comment

• bartruff1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2010

I saw that....

Originally posted by B Wayne View Post
                    I've been surprised no one on this board mentioned a recent comment Coach Few made on the Mark Few show. Coach Few said that times are rapidly changing in college basketball and Zags may have to act in their best interests regarding GU's conference alignment. Noteworthy to me was that he basically initiated the statement and that he didn't make the statement in response to a question. I came away from the comment that some specific discussion about changing conferences had already started at GU.
                    He damn near said something is under consideration...I was very surprised by his comments.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                      better yet, gu vs st joe in the palestra.
                      Garden is closer.
                      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

on travel, there would be maybe 4 trips a season back east for a sat/mon brace of games, something like that...and 4 weekends at home (tricky in that it requires a west coast partner to amortize costs)...i would imagine GU wd reduce its OOC trips eastward as a consequence and focus on west of the big muddy schools. the RPI wd benefit, rather than be nicked, by this. sounds great to me. tickets at GU wd be even more difficult to score. imagine a Georgetown-Villanova weekend up there? yikes next question: whose the other west coast school? competitively it shld be Marys but not with that bandbox; USF maybe?

Comment

• B Wayne
                          Kennel Club
                          • Nov 2007

I think Coach Few said that there is some current talk about BCS schools branching off to form their own post season championship tournament and as a result Gonzaga may have to consider their current affiliations in order to act in GU's best interests.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Don't mess with "happy." The West Coast Conference "fits" the Zags. We've flourished the last, what?, 14-15 years. Gonzaga is on the WEST Coast. Linking up with East Coast teams is nonsense. Let's stay put.

Don't mess with "happy."

:[
                            Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Vanzagger
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

this money grab can be frustrating. Let's blame football.
                              Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

Working...
                              X