View Full Version : Expectations and Your Realistic Hopes

BobZag
12-11-2012, 10:02 AM
K-State (Seattle)
Campbell
Baylor
@Okie State
@Butler

My expectations are to go 3-2 against the remainder of the ooc opponents. My hope is somehow to go 4-1. I just feel @Okie State and @Butler will be tough, tough, tough... To get a split out of those two would be a great accomplishment. I am expecting to win the next three games.

You?

FlyZag
12-11-2012, 10:06 AM
I see it the same as you Bob. Smart from OSU is similar to B. Paul. It will be interesting to see how Few decides to defend him.

I expect to win the next 3. hope for 4-1 with a win @ Butler. But reality is most likely 3-2

Ekrub
12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Realistic hopes: 5-0
Expectations: 5-0

We are a better team than all 5 of those listed. I still think we are a better team than Illinois. Call me crazy. Just how I see it.

gamagin
12-11-2012, 10:26 AM
beat me. Whip me. Call me irresponsible.

jazzdelmar
12-11-2012, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=gamagin;. Call me irresponsible.[/QUOTE]

great sinatra tune...no known applicability to hoops, though.

zag944
12-11-2012, 10:39 AM

We are a better team than all 5 of those listed. I still think we are a better team than Illinois. Call me crazy. Just how I see it.

Agree with all this except the Illinois part.

If we go 3-2 over that strech this team will not get a tourney seed it is capable of.

ZagMan in Philly
12-11-2012, 10:53 AM
We should win against all those, with the exception of OSU...unless our big guns come to play (Harris, Pangos, Bell, KO) and not have Mr. Smart diaper dandy potentially one and done have his triple double. So, my wish is 5-0.

Go Zags!

75Zag
12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I will be shocked if we go worse than 3-2. I won't be shocked by 3-2 and I will be content with 4-1 while hoping and praying we get lucky and go 5-0. If it has to be 3-2, I particularly hope we don't lose the next 2 in a row, as that could boot us from the top 25, never to return (at least in 2012-2013).

Go Bulldogs!

rennis
12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
My expectation is 4-1. I could be happy with that. Our OOC slate is not as challenging as years past, and the team should be finding ways to win almost every game. Illinois was the worst matchup we have in the OOC, and that was known going into it.

Our guards shouldn't be nearly as overmatched top-to-bottom against the remaining teams.

Hoping for 5-0.

GeorgiaZagFan
12-11-2012, 12:18 PM

I agree!!!! I seldom question Mark Few as the coach ...but I believe that he blew that game ..there should be NO way that Harris only takes 8 shots and that he and Olynyk only take 17 shots ...ONE more than Brandon Paul took by himself!!! We shot 18 3-pointers!!!!! ...with our size advantage and mismatch inside we should have shot about 8 3-pointers total!!! They had NO ONE to handle Harris and Olynyk and PK on the inside ...but it seemed that after some bad feeds for TO's the Zags went away from their strength ...but you did not see Illinois go away from their 3-point shot after some misses. If we play them again ...just keep pounding it inside and they will be beat, BPaul will get his 30 but the Zags will win by 10 !!!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-11-2012, 12:18 PM
4-1. I think we have a better team than all of those teams, but OK State.

I think our kids are smart enough to learn from the Illinois loss and tough enough to bounce back.

BTB
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
4-1 also. I think we are better than every team we play but I doubt we will win every game, it is a very tough slate. Hoping for 5-0 though!!!

rijman
12-11-2012, 12:42 PM
I think 5-0 is very doable. I'm hoping the Zags learn from the Illinois game, keep improving and play better over these next 5 games than they did in the first 10 games.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-11-2012, 01:32 PM
4-1, losing to either Baylor or OK State.

zagfan1970
12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
4-1, losing to either Baylor or OK State.

I believe we beat KSU (please D-up Pullen better than Paul), Campbell(duh), BAYLOR scares me (the one that won at Kentucky) so athletic, but so inconsistent. We beat the BAYLOR team that lost at home to NW. Ok St, regardless of the guaranteed sell out, we should beat, but I would rather lose at Ok St than drop another OOC game at HOME! With the right game plan we should beat Butler and prove to Rotnei he made a bad choice.

USF and SC in our league worry me a bit this year. Foster is about as close to Brandon Paul as it gets and with Roq and the return of Traso the are very formidable. Near exodus in the Bay, but it seems they got better and more cohesive!

cjm720
12-11-2012, 01:46 PM
3-2. This team got punched pretty good on Saturday and time will tell if they (mainly our guards) are tough enough to handle the media pressure.

I feel we should have won the Illinois game with a couple tweaks that coach didn't make. A lost opportunity that may be hard to recover from.

bartruff1
12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Expecting 3-2... best case 4-1.....

Baldwinzag
12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
they just don't shoot the bball at their level.

However;

IF we play to our strengths instead of abandoning them the moment pressure is applied: 4-1

IF we go into *panic* mode & lose composure the moment pressure is applied: 2-3

Oregonzagnut
12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
I realistically expect that we do not lose again this year. That is my hope and my realistic expectation. And I honestly do believe it is realistic. The odds may be against it but if the odds are only a 12% chance of winning the next 4 games, that is not considered "unrealistic" If we do not handcuff ourselves and utilize each strength we have, we will go back to the confident and smooth controlling game we play. We are a complete team of very good solid players. No one person is without a major weakness (except maybe Harris), but as a team the other 4 guys should have each others back in that area.

Vanzagger
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Expecting 3-2... best case 4-1.....

nice

primal23
12-11-2012, 02:26 PM
K-State (Seattle)
Campbell
Baylor
@Okie State
@Butler

My expectations are to go 3-2 against the remainder of the ooc opponents. My hope is somehow to go 4-1. I just feel @Okie State and @Butler will be tough, tough, tough... To get a split out of those two would be a great accomplishment. I am expecting to win the next three games.

You?

Hope 4-1
Expect 2-3

MickMick
12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Who knows which guards will show up? I would like to see Harris go Draymond Green or Brandon Paul for us once. 30 points, 12 rebounds against a top team. A career night in a game that everyone is really paying attention to.

I expect 5-0.

Baseline
12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I expect 5-0 as Few has decided to turn the beasts loose. Kelly and Karno will pound the ball from here on in and Harris will quit taking part of the games off. The guards were embarrassed and pride will rejuvenate their game.

It will not be easy, but they gut out the wins.

kclubfounder
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Expect 4-1

Want 5-0 (obviously)

3-2 will make me an unpopular member of the family (a family that just doesn't understand the importance of GU hoops).

bostonzagfan
12-11-2012, 09:19 PM
4-1. get that top 3 seed. ranked 14th, that's only 2 spots away. likely have to be top 10 to not get screwed by seeding committee. lets go gu

Oregonzagnut
12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I see only ekruB, gamagin, OregonZN, GeorgiaZF, rijman, MickMick, and Baseline.

About half so far on this thread know that if you have a task in front of you like FT's or TD passes, you absolutely cannot expect to only make half of them. If you think you are only going to make 1 of 2 FT's, you probably will.

Visualize success, practice, execute, enjoy success.

Simple!! Expect the best, deal with the rest.

5-0 the rest of this year. (2012)

Mantua
12-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Realistic, Schmealistic!

bigblahla
12-12-2012, 04:38 AM
Zag fan(atic), As stated many many times on this board I think we will win every game, one at a time. :D

The win at OSU will be an impressive feat.

Go!! Zags!!!

Baldwinzag
12-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Gotta go with past results and our defensive philosophy:

This is how I predict games (vs the BCS teams, of course) ---

If an opposing team shoots less than 35% from 3pt(with at least 15 attempts), we win nearly every time.

Our bottom dwelling 3pt defense has haunted us for years, especially in NCAA Tournament and OOC losses.

It actually determines our win-loss and how successful those teams are vs the Zags. We consistently defend the 2pt shot pretty darn well, yet can't defend the 3pt shot vs teams that attempt a lot or shoot a solid %. In the last 5 of 6 NCAA Tourney games we've dropped, the opposition has hit double-digit 3's, same to be said about 80% of our OOC losses over the same time span.

For instance:

**Baylor shoots 32% from 3pt as a team = we hold them under 60 and WIN.

**Okie St shoots 30% from 3pt as a team, yet feature two very good starters at 36% from 3pt = a toss up, yet most likely LOSE given the 35% rule. Those two guys will both probably launch 8-9 3's and make 4-5.

**K-State shoots 33% from 3pt as a team = we hold them under 60 and WIN.

**Butler shoots exactly 35% from 3pt as a team, yet feature one player who shoots 45% from 3pt = either way you look at its a LOSS. They will make double-digit 3's.

In our premier match-ups above, and based on my 35% 3pt rule(with a minimum of 15 attempts), we go 2-2.

We beat the below-average perimeter shooting teams of Baylor & K-State, yet lose to Butler & Okie St, due to high level shooters and 3pt shots.

bartruff1
12-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Yes, if I hold Todo tight and click my red pumps together three times... PK will make his free throws...or I find my sorry arse in Kansas...

bballbeachbum
12-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Yes, if I hold Todo tight and click my red pumps together three times... PK will make his free throws...or I find my sorry arse in Kansas...

funny

my hopes are that the open 3s start falling against top backcourts. if the guys can find that piece to the puzzle, then this team goes ape ####. without that, could be some tough sledding

I'm an optimistic realist, and I say they make those shots, go on a tear, making 5-0 truly possible. but if the clanging from deep continues.......

ZagLawGrad
12-12-2012, 08:26 AM
My reasonable expectation is that there will be more major meltdowns on GUB.

GonzaGAW
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
- okay i've been away since the loss, decompressing, i think i'm okay now and can get back to reading the board and trying my hand at a simple post.

- i think it is realistic to expect 3 wins and 2 losses. had we beaten illinois i would have said 4-1.

- i think 4-1 would make up for the illinois loss, at least in my book.

Kiddwell
12-12-2012, 08:05 PM
If we beat K State handily in Seattle, then Kiddwell thinks we regain focus and momentum and sweep all five upcoming games. If we struggle with K State, then the Okie State tussle becomes very iffy. If we (horrors!) lose to K State, the Zags might very well tank the rest of December.

K State's game determines, essentially, everything: most particularly (1) the rest of the Zags' season, and (2) whether or not the Mayans were right about December, 2012.

:]

Reborn
12-12-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm going 5-0, both my hope and realistic assessment of the Zags. I'm not changing what I have thought all year because of a single loss. They will figure it out by Saturday, and then they'll be back on track. The Zags can get a good win streak going once again. What I like right now is having all this time off to heal and repair, and get some good 'ol fashion coaching in. The Zags have a good week off this week before playing Kansas St. I think they have 8 or 9 days off before playing Ok State. They will be rested.

primal23
12-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Actually iirc it's only three days between Baylor and Oklahoma state

Reborn
12-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Actually iirc it's only three days between Baylor and Oklahoma state

My bad. You are right. It was 8 days off between the K State game and the Campbell game. Still think they shuld be rested when they play Kansas St.

Ekrub
12-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Fwiw, I think that Baylor is the toughest match up for the zags of those 5. Followed by OKst, then Butler.

Still think we go 5-0

NotoriousZ
12-13-2012, 10:22 AM
4-1, 5-0.

That OK St. game could be a toss up. But I don't think lose any of the others, barring some freak occurrances.

We don't have Sacre to clean up in the middle. So knowing that our defense can break down in some spots, we will just have to outscore the other guys. No lead is too big, just keep scoring. We have the weapons.

Zag79
12-15-2012, 03:43 AM
If it's the season I think it can be, 4-1... 3-2 at the worst.

Reborn
12-15-2012, 08:08 AM
If an opposing team shoots less than 35% from 3pt(with at least 15 attempts), we win nearly every time.

Our bottom dwelling 3pt defense has haunted us for years, especially in NCAA Tournament and OOC losses.

It actually determines our win-loss and how successful those teams are vs the Zags. **Okie St shoots 30% from 3pt as a team, yet feature two very good starters at 36% from 3pt = a toss up, yet most likely LOSE given the 35% rule. Those two guys will both probably launch 8-9 3's and make 4-5.

To pick Ok State over the Zags is not consistent with your logic for making picks based on 3 pt shooting %. I do like your logic. Fun. Illinois did average 40% from the 3 pt line.

Baldwinzag
12-15-2012, 08:17 AM
To pick Ok State over the Zags is not consistent with your logic for making picks based on 3 pt shooting %. I do like your logic. Fun. Illinois did average 40% from the 3 pt line.

I know, I was kinda being silly with those 'quick pick' predictions. Although, they ring true, its more of a coincidence than anything...

opposing teams know we focus on 2pt FG defense and feature a couple bigs down low to protect the rim. our porous 3pt defense breeds confidence into opposing shooters. Its just our defensive philosophy doesn't match up well vs teams with elite shooting guards. We've been unlucky on some level too...

I labeled the Okie St game a "toss up" due to Oklahoma State's two combo guards/forward being very good shooters, while the rest of the team is not. Their individual averages are above 35%, yet the team sub-30%, so you're right, it goes against all the fun analysis...

again, not counting any other stats or road or away game...just the 35% as a team rule.

So, maybe we pull our a win on the road in Stillwater. Its probable after all ;).

Reborn
12-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Yes "fun" analysis. In the end it's all about having fun. I wish I could remember that sometimes, but honestly it just seems a lot more fun to win. :lmao:

I did like your idea of 3 pt shooting percentage of opponents, and I'm keeping my eye on that as we move forward. I tend to agree with you. The 3 point shooting % of our opponents has been a very big factor in our losses. If right, GU should win today. But as you say, there are other factors.

One I like is one that can't be measured statistically, and that is which team plays harder/tougher. Clearly Illinois was the tougher team last Saturday. I believe Kansas St will be a tough team, so Im hoping the team focuses a little more on playing defense then they did last Saturday. And they sure better play tough on the glass or Im afraid we could be looking at another loss.

Ekrub
01-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Look like the 4-1's have it. Even though my prediction of 5-0 was wrong, I'm still happy with what they accomplished over these 5 games. Go Zags.

DixieZag
01-20-2013, 10:43 AM
I didn't post then, but I would have been ecstatic with 4-1 had it been offered and I am very happy with our record and our team.

But it will always hurt to have a lead at 3.5 and the ball and lose it at .1!