PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Conference?

gmo
12-11-2012, 06:53 AM
pretty interesting stuff that the 7 Catholic members of the Big East are discussing splitting off, and possibly bringing in Xavier.

Yes, I know geographically it wouldn't work to include the Zags, but I certainly can still dream about consistent match-ups with other Catholic powers can't I?!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8735330/big-east-direction-concerns-conference-catholic-schools-sources-say

Crazy
12-11-2012, 07:07 AM
My (maybe german) standpoint on it, it is a basketball Game and if i worship someone there it is maybe my favorite player but not god.

It is really important, who the opposing players/team are praying to or if they are even atheistic.

Hoopaholic
12-11-2012, 08:03 AM
would love it......even with little extra travel....really other than time change the actual travel time would not be that much different than the trips to california.....

webspinnre
12-11-2012, 08:22 AM
In theory, it's awesome. In practice, it'd be just plain awful.

Hoopaholic
12-11-2012, 08:47 AM
why in practice would it be aweful?

Like philosophy schools, some good upgraded RPI, chance to play on east coast during prime time television, good get own television opportunities for the new conference (exposure and money), recruit exposure opportunities and abilities to tap into other areas for recruiting..

FlyZag
12-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Classic example of "the grass is greener"

Isn't that what we already have with the WCC? Like minded, faith based institutions? It's not like DePaul, St. Johns, Seton Hall and Providence are world beaters.

I think the WCC is just as good as those schools if they split off. SMC beat #2 seed Villanova in the tourney, heck a mediocre USF team just crushed St. Johns the other night.

I just don't get it. I think the current WCC (with BYU) is BETTER than the bottom of the BE.

hondo
12-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Travel cost and time for all sports would skyrocket. Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Volleyball XCountry, Women's hoops etc.

sittingon50
12-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Aren't the Zags already playing with (mostly) Catholic schools?

:confused:

kitzbuel
12-11-2012, 02:29 PM
I would rather see a Catholic Classic. Who knows, maybe they could have it in Rome one year.

75Zag
12-11-2012, 03:16 PM
In the old days - and particularly before BYU - most of my BCS alumni friends referred to the WCC as the West Coast Catholic conference anyway. For a while I corrected them by pointing out that Pepperdine is Methodist but then I quit trying.

Sorting teams by religion seems like a dumb idea. Protestants can play ball too.

Go Bulldogs!

realtydog
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
don't sort out by religion---it would just create haters

Angelo Roncalli
12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
In the old days - and particularly before BYU - most of my BCS alumni friends referred to the WCC as the West Coast Catholic conference anyway. For a while I corrected them by pointing out the Pepperdine is Methodist but then I quit trying.

Sorting teams by religion seems like a dumb idea. Protestants can play ball too.

Go Bulldogs!

Pepperdine might not appreciate the "correction." It's affiliated with the Churches of Christ, not the Methodists.

RenoZag
12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
I would rather see a Catholic Classic. Who knows, maybe they could have it in Rome one year.

They could sell loaves & fishes at the concession stands.

75Zag
12-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Pepperdine might not appreciate the "correction." It's affiliated with the Churches of Christ, not the Methodists.

Oops! O well, all Protestants look alike to me.

Go Bulldogs!

Oregonzagnut
12-11-2012, 04:48 PM
The Big Trinity 3

or

Conference Vatican

The Pope nominates 10 schools:

Gonzaga
Notre Dame
Georgetown
Creighton
Marquette
Loyola Marymount
Xavier
Boston College
Saint Louis
Santa Clara

Pretty strong conference!

FlyZag
12-11-2012, 05:44 PM
The Big Trinity 3

or

Conference Vatican

The Pope nominates 10 schools:

Gonzaga
Notre Dame
Georgetown
Creighton
Marquette
Loyola Marymount
Xavier
Boston College
Saint Louis
Santa Clara

Pretty strong conference!

Santa Clara????

Oregonzagnut
12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Santa Clara????

Ok maybe you are right.

I tried to avoid USF but they did give the Jesuits 2 National Championships.

USF. #10

SweetOnionZag
12-12-2012, 04:11 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/69795/3-point-shot-gonzaga-eying-big-east

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Ok maybe you are right.

I tried to avoid USF but they did give the Jesuits 2 National Championships.

USF. #10

How about Villanova? Dayton? St. Joseph's? USF has more historical tradition than any of them, but they've all had pretty good teams at different times in recent years.

DixieZag
12-12-2012, 04:46 AM
What makes more sense to me:

Have a "super conference" with East and West Divisions. Have every team do a once a year two game road trip to the other division every year and then have a big tournament at the end. The tournament should rotate every year (NYC/DC, LA/SF/Seattle, Chicago) and it could play at MSG, Staples, United Center and be a big deal. That could retain the best of both worlds.

Retaining the ties and convenience of the WCC while also gaining the prestige of the Big East. It helps the Big East in that they only have 8 schools (if you include an added Xavier). If you could retain the "auto-bid" for the West Coast by giving it to the winner of each division and one for the tournament. It would be good for college BB, good for the (usually Fr.s) that run the schools in keeping their important values, good experience for the students and I'll bet that the NCAA would find it good too.

Hoopaholic
12-12-2012, 04:46 AM
Couple this with the statement the other day by coach few, which when I heard it raised eyebrows, this may be moving quicker than we realize...paraphrasing what he said was when asked about pacific becoming full time member of wcc and how we would prepare for them..he said leagues are changing so fast you just don't know what next year may bring...

Now that statement is making sense....national implications, east coast prime time, tv contract money....I can only imagine

Zag4Hire
12-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Oops! O well, all Protestants look alike to me.

Go Bulldogs!

Well said. Organize sort of a super conference with a genuine 'West' and 'East' division. Play each in your division twice and only a few from the other division once (possibly two roadies per year). Get it done and I might add a finer idea hasn't been proposed since the likes of Pope Urban II. Deus Vult!

Zagobserver
12-12-2012, 05:25 AM
What makes more sense to me:

Have a "super conference" with East and West Divisions. Have every team do a once a year two game road trip to the other division every year and then have a big tournament at the end. The tournament should rotate every year (NYC/DC, LA/SF/Seattle, Chicago) and it could play at MSG, Staples, United Center and be a big deal. That could retain the best of both worlds.

Retaining the ties and convenience of the WCC while also gaining the prestige of the Big East. It helps the Big East in that they only have 8 schools (if you include an added Xavier). If you could retain the "auto-bid" for the West Coast by giving it to the winner of each division and one for the tournament. It would be good for college BB, good for the (usually Fr.s) that run the schools in keeping their important values, good experience for the students and I'll bet that the NCAA would find it good too.

This is what I've been advocating for a long time (as a fan of ND, pre-ACC move). I don't think you need an autobid for that conference anymore, as the conference would be good enough for multiple bids from both sides. The biggest problem would be getting some of the WCC teams to build bigger arenas, as the East Coast teams often play in big pro-style arenas and wouldn't be too happy playing in glorified high school gyms like a few of the WCC ones are. I wouldn't limit it to Catholic schools, but would try to keep it to smallish private schools with some sort of religious affiliation, and I'd only do it with schools that were intent on staying Fball independent for stability's sake. I'd also probably go to 20 teams with two divisions of 10.

DixieZag
12-12-2012, 07:02 AM
This is what I've been advocating for a long time (as a fan of ND, pre-ACC move). I don't think you need an autobid for that conference anymore, as the conference would be good enough for multiple bids from both sides. The biggest problem would be getting some of the WCC teams to build bigger arenas, as the East Coast teams often play in big pro-style arenas and wouldn't be too happy playing in glorified high school gyms like a few of the WCC ones are. I wouldn't limit it to Catholic schools, but would try to keep it to smallish private schools with some sort of religious affiliation, and I'd only do it with schools that were intent on staying Fball independent for stability's sake. I'd also probably go to 20 teams with two divisions of 10.

I think that the only way to make this work is that the conference is strictly basketball schools that do not have a football team. THAT is how the "new" Big East is broken down (if it comes to pass), it is not a "catholic" league (even if they all happen to be so) it is a non-football, BB dominated league. I like ND also. But there football and other interests would always override any other sports concern . . . I think it has to be centered around BB and to do so you have to exclude fb.

I would not move to ANY league that had a D1 football member (BYU is what it is but it is not the ideal school b/c of football/size). IF BB gets the driving priority, then they could fund it better and get a TV deal with ESPN or a network.

It would also have to be only schools that meet the academic standards of a GU/Santa Clara/LMU (best academic in WCC) and Georgetown, Villanova, Providence. . . St. Johns is literally as low academically as I would go b/c it is important that all schools be similar in terms of admission standards and work load - - plus the league would promote academic excellence (like the Big 10, Big East and Patriotic Leagues) and not the Missouri Valley, Metro type leagues.

basketballzag
12-12-2012, 07:14 AM
WCC and 7 Big East Catholic schools plus Xavier = powerhouse basketball conference. East division and West division is what could transpire shortly.

IrishZagFan
12-12-2012, 02:18 PM
New article on Spokesman.com talking about this league.

The wave of conference realignment has pulled Gonzaga’s name into the discussion.

At a meeting in New York on Sunday, presidents and athletic directors of the Big East Conference’s seven Catholic, non-FBS schools discussed numerous options, including the possibility of leaving behind the new-look Big East and creating a basketball-only conference, according to media reports.

The seven schools – DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Villanova –would presumably need additional members and schools that could be considered include Xavier, Butler, Saint Louis, Creighton and Gonzaga. ESPN.com reported that Gonzaga would “love” to be part of a part of “a national, branded basketball conference.”

http://www.spokesman.com gonzaga-part-discussion-new-league/ (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/dec/12/gonzaga-part-discussion-new-league/)

Oregonzagnut
12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
New article on Spokesman.com talking about this league.
http://www.spokesman.com gonzaga-part-discussion-new-league/ (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/dec/12/gonzaga-part-discussion-new-league/)

This conference musical chairs of chaos is getting bad IMO. Why are there even conferences in the first place if the ease of creating and destroying them is 100% financial based. It will never get better unless there are restrictions placed in order to preserve the reasoning behind having conferences in the first place.

I would be interested to know why BYU wasn't happy being independent. Any cougars out there reading this can chime in. The only real reason I see for conferences is to allow some measure of fairness/parity in playing home and away games.

Here are some ideas I had.

1. Limit conference membership to 18 with two sub divisions of 9.
2. Require teams to stay for 3 years min and a home and away with each of your 9 conference teams. (16 games and half the season) Conference champion is the auto bid or conference tourney in smaller conferences.
3. Teams must schedule at least 25% of their OOC games with teams in the lower half of the RPI the previous season.
4. If geography is no longer the basis for a conference or league, then should, religion, curriculum, public or private status, money, even race be used as a dividing factor?

Pretty soon the big power conferences are going to have 16 teams and inbreed their talent and RPI status so no other teams compete for recruits, SOS, TV time and ticket sales.

This conference re-alignment craze is not a good thing in the long run IMO.

Seatown
12-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Great article:
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/12/12/3758586/report-gonzaga-would-love-to-part-ways-with-the-wcc

This is a dream scenario. Home and homes in the west division and then play everyone in the east once. Travel would not be that big of an issue, and this conference could stack up with any other in basketball.

East:
Villanova
Providence
Georgetown
St. John's
Seton Hall
Xavier
Depaul

West:
Gonzaga
BYU
Creighton
St. Mary's
Butler
Marquette
St. Louis

Hoopaholic
12-13-2012, 04:28 AM
it would be an exciting tough conference, with tons of exposure, television on a national scale, extra revenue for the school, tough games weekly, allow for ooc schedule that could include. Wsu, emu, idaho, Seattle u to maintain the foothold of the Pacific Northwest

Downside is if it is hoops only would the wcc spank us and leave the rest of the sports out in the cold without a league?

gmo
12-13-2012, 08:29 PM
looks like the 7 are out and Gonzaga is definitely in the mix.

A few days ago when I posted this I really did not think it was even possible. At this point, i'd say it is somewhat likely.

Could get very interesting here in the next couple of days.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8745235/seven-schools-agree-leave-big-east-debating-process-source-says