PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga's Christmas Wish List

zagballer6
12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Rob Dauster at NBC Sports put together a Christmas wish list for the Zags.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/10/christmas-wish-lists-pg-play-3-point-discipline-highlight-zags-needs/

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Very nice write-up. He clearly knows the team.

zag944
12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Better free throw shooting wouldnt hurt either.

gonwick
12-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Right on with what a lot of people have been saying here. He seems to know the team well.

Ezag
12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
I agree. Another Christmas wish item is that Pangos, Bell and Stockton have one final growth spurt of a few inches each....

kclubfounder
12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I'd love it if Pangos was hot every night of his life.

That being said, if he's going to have a cold stretch I'd like it to be before January.

Reborn
12-10-2012, 06:12 PM
This reporter has definitely been reading our posts on GUBoards.

IrishZagFan
12-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Great article, thanks for sharing. I think a number of posters have stated this in one way or another......

When Illinois was making their run in the second half on Saturday night, the Zags went away from their interior game — where they had a massive advantage on the small, foul-plagued Illini — and settled for too many quick threes. Gonzaga will thrive if they run their offense through their big guys. Pangos and company will get their shots when defenses collapse down.

Saxon_zag
12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
#1 wish

E at the 3 and rotate pK, kelly, and SD at the 2 big spots

hooter73
12-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Edi to get his head out, Drag to speed up along his path to being useful, Dower to not be sick, the guards to actually be able to shoot AND get the ball into the post...

My biggest wish is to see more set plays and backdoor cuts, two things we used to thrive on. Not much to ask for.

CDC84
12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
What I would love to see is Pangos having games like these from three point territory:

Game 1 = 2-4
Game 2 = 3-7
Game 3 = 1-4
Game 4 = 2-5
Game 5 = 3-7

Instead of what we tend to see:

Game 1 = 7-10
Game 2 = 0-8
Game 3 = 2-7
Game 4= 1-8
Game 5 = 6-7

He was a streaky shooter last year, and the pattern has continued this year. In the end he'll end up shooting 40% or so, but it doesn't mean he's a great shooter. A great shooter, like Dan Dickau, needs consistency. The funks that Kevin goes into often lead to losses....depending on the quality of the opponent.

The three guards are not going to get any taller, so there is no use complaining about that. The Zags are going to have to make the best of it. I really think the size issues only effect Pangos and Stocks. Bell is powerful and athletic enough to create off the bounce against most people, and he should be able to guard most guys in his height range. As long as the guy he's guarding is within a couple of inches of him, it shouldn't be an issue. In fact, although he's a bit taller, Brandon Paul actually weighs less than GBJ does. I don't think height had anything to do with GBJ's poor D on him.

Gerard Colemen isn't the 6-6 off guard that everyone desires either......he's 6-3. However, I have less concerns about the undersized guards next year because Coleman is the quickest and most athletic wing scorer Few has ever coached. One way to combat these size issues is to counter with quickness and athleticism like Mizzou did last year and Villanova was able to some years back. The problem GU has right now is that two of the three undersized guys aren't fleet of foot. But that's what the situation is, and they need to make the best of it.

Reborn
12-11-2012, 03:50 PM
I wish Gary Bell could suddenly believe how good he is and how good he can be. He needs to stop being so tentative and settling, too often for the outside 3 pt shot. I hope he learned some things from Paul and models his game after his.

I would like to see Keving Pangos stop trying to play like Nash and be himself.

BMAN
12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
#1 wish

E at the 3 and rotate pK, kelly, and SD at the 2 big spots

right on----keep our best players on the court. Create huge miss matches for other teams..