PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few's Thoughts on the loss...

2wiceright
12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Today we dropped to 14 in both both polls....

Here is the post game interview after the loss to the Illini. It address alot of things in todays threads, i.e. why drop out of the 2-3 zone, what does this loss mean, and where do we go from here.

Many of you have seen this, but from some of the threads it seems alot have not (not that it will change a lot of peoples breakdown of what they saw). Just curious as any thoughts and impressions of what Coach Few has to say....

Link:
http://video.kxly.com/watch.php?id=32682

zagfan1970
12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
He was on 1510 at noon. Basically after watching the video replay 2-3 times, he admits he should have used Karno more(said he played the screens the best, suprisingly), said we may have executed the game plan on D as far as screens etc 50% of the time, said Sam is still sick and that the Bigs are understandably a little worn out. He also gave lots of praise to Paul, but acknowledged that it was the penetration that killed us and thjat we couldn't keep the ball in front of us and that help was late. The positive from what I heard is that we should be able to shore it up and GET BETTER from the loss.

ZagNative
12-10-2012, 12:27 PM
There's also a KXLY interview with Pangos and Hart (http://video.kxly.com/watch.php?id=32683).

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
12-10-2012, 01:20 PM
There's also a KXLY interview with Pangos and Hart (http://video.kxly.com/watch.php?id=32683).

xoxoxoxooxxo "You don't win a National Championship in December." or something like that! Adversity? We will respond!

:)

Section 116
12-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I wonder if Few will put his tie back on for the Kansas St game?

Saxon_zag
12-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I actually really like what Coach Few said in regards to knowing he needs to play PK more. Even more with Sam not 100% and he said PK was one of the lone bright spots. Said Kelly and E probably played too many minutes

12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
I actually really like what Coach Few said in regards to knowing he needs to play PK more. Even more with Sam not 100% and he said PK was one of the lone bright spots. Said Kelly and E probably played too many minutes

I think the world famous, legendary, intelligent and sometimes notorious OregonZagNut dropped a dime on that issue in a previous post? No? Ya? lol

V

tobizag
12-10-2012, 01:46 PM

lo and behold, tobizag was right that karnowski should have seen more minutes.

50?

:horse:

and on and on and on....

gamagin
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
good stuff.

12-10-2012, 03:01 PM
good stuff.

Well this is my 100th post on the Gonzaga message board! You are almost at 10,000 posts! LOL I wonder what the Guinness world record is superstar!

I can't even imagine where I will be 9,900 posts from now! The way conference realignment is going Gonzaga could be in an all basketball BE conference playing in Madison Square Garden! Wouldn't that be 1 for the ages :)? Then again $100 is my fav #! Kinda like a crisp Benjamin. haha

Vxo

IrishZagFan
12-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Well this is my 100th post on the Gonzaga message board! You are almost at 10,000 posts! LOL I wonder what the Guinness world record is superstar!

I can't even imagine where I will be 9,900 posts from now! The way conference realignment is going Gonzaga could be in an all basketball BE conference playing in Madison Square Garden! Wouldn't that be 1 for the ages :)? Then again $100 is my fav #! Kinda like a crisp Benjamin. haha

Vxo

Val,

Congrats on the 100th! :cheers: Keep it up, enjoy your insights from afar....

Irish

Zag Man
12-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Having participants highlighting interesting articles and videos on Gonzaga basketball for the group is why I so much enjoy being a part of this blog!
Thanks!

Oregonzagnut
12-10-2012, 03:40 PM

That is so totally what I as a fan needed to hear. I know I am nothing and that he owes me personally, nothing, but we are fans and we love them. It is nice to know that Few can admit an error. I have not been able to find where he says this but i believe it. It was obvious and to deny that would be harder to take and it would worry me. If he didn't, he would never learn as much or as fast and he is human just like the rest of us. People need to keep learning till they are dust in the wind.

I think he saw the need to play OUR game and let our team see what they can do against anyone, in their way. Few needs to let the reigns off in a way, but keep the reigns available. Don't try to beat anyone by changing ourselves. Make our opponents change to try to beat us. It is called dictating the game and they dictated the tempo and type of game the way they needed to to win.

Now I have closure on this loss!!!!

Thanks Few and all our players!

NEXT!!!!

2wiceright
12-10-2012, 09:48 PM
xoxoxoxooxxo "You don't win a National Championship in December." or something like that! Adversity? We will respond!

I loved that quote from Mike Hart Val! Good Stuff.... :p

2wiceright
12-10-2012, 09:51 PM
good stuff.

Thanks Gamagin, it's nice waiting a day or two before coming back to these boards after a loss.....So much better perspective after emotions cool and we get a chance to see what the coaches and players thought.

Mantua
12-10-2012, 10:38 PM
This week I'm especially glad that Mark Few is the coach. I think he is very capable of restoring confidence to these kids who have been under unprecedented media scrutiny in Zagland. After the Old Spice Classic I thought they looked like they needed some work. After the Clemson game, they did start coming to the ball more often to stymie the half court defense. Now they have plenty to chew on and to learn. I'm grateful for Coach Fews's honesty but mostly I'm grateful for his kindness. As fans we have basketball dreams for Gonzaga basketball teams and the teams have basketball dreams of their own, but we need to remember they're still just kids.

Oregonzagnut
12-10-2012, 10:49 PM

You are right Val, I loved that Hart got some air time. He deserves to be interviewed and we know what Pangos, Few and Harris are going to say. Hart comes up with a nice simple fact.

2wiceright
12-10-2012, 11:29 PM
This week I'm especially glad that Mark Few is the coach. I think he is very capable of restoring confidence to these kids who have been under unprecedented media scrutiny in Zagland. After the Old Spice Classic I thought they looked like they needed some work. After the Clemson game, they did start coming to the ball more often to stymie the half court defense. Now they have plenty to chew on and to learn. I'm grateful for Coach Fews's honesty but mostly I'm grateful for his kindness. As fans we have basketball dreams for Gonzaga basketball teams and the teams have basketball dreams of their own, but we need to remember they're still just kids.

+1,000 (we all need to remember this)
:agreed:

Zag79
12-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Few's interview was fantastic, it gave insight to what he thinks the team AND he himself could have done differently. Love hearing real reasons the coach himself thought he could have managed the game better, as opposed to quoting his winning percentage or spouting sarcastic comments that lack substanc as some people do around here. :D

I talked to a close friend of Mike Roth's this week, and found it very interesting we agreed that (in our opinion) Few is still learning how to handle such a deep and talented bench. Its not easy for a coach who hasn't always had talent that deep down the bench to do what coach K and Calipari do every year. Once he masters his lineups and adjusts, that is when I think we'll see this program take that next step.

Reborn
12-15-2012, 09:06 AM
I think that for Gonzaga that losing in December will always affect our seeding in the NCAA tournament, and seeding does affect how a team wins the NCAA Tournament. For many teams who play in the power conferences losing in December is NOT that big of a deal. You see, Gonzaga plays it's toughest games in December, and usually some of those teams are in the top 20 in the polls. So, in this area I do not agree with Mike Hart, and honestly I feel it's a rationization for the loss. Not a good idea.