PDA

View Full Version : Improvement

flytiezag
12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Illinois starts 3 seniors 2 sophmores we start 2sophmores 1 senior 1 junor 1 senor less year d1 experence.We have 2 freshmen kyle Shem with great potential. We have great potential for growth it will be a different game if we meet in march. Go Zags

Vanzagger
12-10-2012, 12:50 PM
next year

gamagin
12-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Illinois starts 3 seniors 2 sophmores we start 2sophmores 1 senior 1 junor 1 senor less year d1 experence.We have 2 freshmen kyle Shem with great potential. We have great potential for growth it will be a different game if we meet in march. Go Zags

we got schooled. Those guys at times looked like they were on the playground, beating up on the underclassmen while their teachers watched with scowls of disapproval. And they were pumped about it. Showing everyone who's boss.

jim77
12-11-2012, 01:30 AM
we got schooled. Those guys at times looked like they were on the playground, beating up on the underclassmen while their teachers watched with scowls of disapproval. And they were pumped about it. Showing everyone who's boss.

yup.

Its better that this type of loss happens now and not in march. The MO to beat the Zags for the remainder of the season will be to pressure the guards. The question isn't and shouldn't be how the guards react...its how the bigs react. Will they come out to the key to set screens......will more than one come out if necessary? Will the bigs be willing to set a stiff pick at the half court line? I think we have the talent and IQ to overcome our shortcomings. I think the Illini caught us off guard as most teams couldn't do that to us....even Ohio State last year couldn't slow our guards down as much. I also think its important that SAM comes back to full strength as his added depth plus scoring are gonna be needed.

Reborn
12-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Gonzaga will improve as a team. This was not our best game, and not even close to it. That's good news to me. Gonzaga didn't come close to playing their A game, and especially on defense. To accept that Brandon Paul was just too good for the Zags is rediculous. If you analyze the game you willsee that Gonzaga played poor man to man defense. Why Few stuck with it throughout the second half, many of us are curious about that. To win these kinds of games we need our A game. IMO Illinois looked like they were in much better shape then the Zags. I was surprised. So I think the whole team can improve on their performances in the last two games. I believe they will. We must remember that Illinois is a veteran team led by seniors; so they know their roles. Because Kelly and Pk are new, GU is still working some things out. Kelly is a much better offensive player than any of us fans knew, but he's way behind on defense. Surprisingly, PK is playing really great defense, iMO.

I liked the matchup zone Gonzaga played in the first part of the first half. I think Few needs to develop a defensive plan that is similar to Illioins'. Swithch your defenses throughout the game. Illinois went back and forth between zone and man to man, and that kept us a little off guard. If Illinois would have stayed in the man to man the entire game I guarentee you GU would have won, and by 10 points. Give their coach credit for a very good defensive plan. I liked Gonzaga's Zones, and we could use it more, especially if he decided to go with Elias at the three more. This way we could get PK into the game more.

Elias Harris needs to improve on his defense, and in particular being consistent when he hedges on the screens. He caused GU a lot of problems on defense. Also Elias has a tendency to lose his intensity, and he definitely lost it in the second half of this game. The biggest problem I think Elias has is consistency in his intensity. That is the difference between him and Brandon Paul.

The team needs to feed Kelly Olynyk more. He is a great offensive player and in this game he was NOT getting enough touches. Illinois could not defend him, and GU missed an opportunity to take advantage of that. He should have scored 22 to 25 like he did against WSU. Kelly really needs to work on his defense. He is no where near playing D the way Rob did.

Edi is really a good defensive player. He looked good on defense against Illinois, but he really forces things on offense. I don't think he understands his role on offense. Few knew he was hurting the team on offense with careless passes and turnovers. Against Illinois Edi was more affective on defense then Mike Hart because of the kind of players Illinois had at the guard. I feel Edi needs to do some soul searching about his role on offense, and try to become a Mike Hart type of guy.

For some reason Gary Bell fades offensively in the second half of games. His focus on intensity on offense just isn't there. Only Gary can figure this out. It's a 40 minute game not a 20. Everyone on this board knows that Gary should be playing better. In the second half Gary did not attack the basket the way he did in the first half. Gary's defense was great against Illinois. I give him and A on D, and he's the only one that get's that grade.

Kevin Pangos is the player who needs to improve the most. He is, in no way, having the kind of year he had last year. For one thing he seldom goes to the foul line this year compared to last. I don't see where his summer with Nash helped him at all. He said he wanted a mid-range game and to me his mid range game is horrible. His defense this year has also gone South. He had a horrible game on defense against Illinois.

I guess Sam Dower is sick. Why does Few play him if he is sick because when he has been in the game he plays absolutely no defense at all, and on offense now he's dropping the ball and causing turnovers. Sam is taking away minutes from PK, and it seems everyone but Mark Few feels PK should be playing more. As Few said in an interview, PK should be playing more, and he was the ONLY big who played good defense on Illinois' pick and roll offense.

Pk needs to play more. Period. Let Few figure out how he will do it.

I have to admit that David Stockton played an ok game. He does not hurt us too bad defensively because he really hustles. His energy on D is very good for the team. He's a good passer. I think his mistake in the Illinois game was that he wanted to become a scorer and was shooting much more than he usually does. I think that hurt Gonzaga although he scored some nice points. His free throw shooting is really bad, and that hurts the Zags. If he could understand that, he would begin to work much harder at getting his FT percentage up. He and Pangos both missed very big free throws in the 4th quarter of that game.

To me it's obvious that Gonzaga needs a new plan for the last 3 minutes of the game. Our offensive plan for those 3 minutes killed us. We did not score from the inside in the last 7 minutes of the game. Oh yes we got one point or two on free throws. Gonzaga had no patience toward the end of the game on offense. I remember 3 three-point shots attempted after either no passes or after one pass. It is well understood that those are NOT good shots. More patience is needed on offense, and make a 3 point attempt until after an attmpt has been madeto get the ball inside. There is alot of talent on this team, and Few is going to have to work out a plan for those last 3 minutes because the team needs one. We need to clearly understand who are go-to guys are. The go-to guy over the last two years has been Kevin Pangos and I personally believe that that is a mistake, and that mistake really hurt Gonzaga Saturday. How about Kelly Olynyk? So far I think this guy has been unstoppable on Offense. I think Kelly could be a 20+ point a game scorer if Few allowed him to be.

Gonzaga needs to get alot tougher on Defense. Once again their toughness is being questioned. IMO they looked horrible on defense and were not tough at all. Elias Harris was a huge problem on defense and he needs to really take a good look at that film and see how lethargic he was. Mark Few, in describing Paul, said that's what a Professional athlet looks like. Well, Elias Harris certainly did not look like it in that game at all, not even close.

Once again, I think the Zags have alot of room for improvement, and the Illinois game helped us see that. I totally believe that the team will improve because they want to win and go far this year. The Illinois game really provides some good evidence of the area's that the team needs to improve in. I am looking forward to seeing how Mark Few addresses these issues in the games to come. The Zags have a lot of time to practice over the next 3 weeks; so I am sure we will see alot of changes and alot of progress as we go forward.