PDA

View Full Version : One game....

23zagmd
12-10-2012, 10:29 AM
As disheartening as Saturday's game was, did we all really think we were going undefeated???

No one likes to lose, no one likes to lose at home, but sometimes it just HAPPENS! And yes, it happens every year. I.E. Mich State, Portland State, Santa Clara, etc.

It's going to happen again this year, and next....

I think we all need to remember, we don't need to beat every ranked team, every time out or every ranked team in the country to get where we all want to be(ATLANTA). We ONLY need to beat the next team in the bracket, 4 games!

We are going to get better, already pretty good, and we are going to make a run in March.

primal23
12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Undefeated, no, but to basically give this game away is disheartening. Props to Illinois, but it is, IMHO, more on GU then Illinois.

Ezag
12-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Seems like when we start hearing the final four talk it's a jinx.

MDABE80
12-10-2012, 12:35 PM
No hope EVER for an undefeated season. NOBODY has done that since Indiana in 76. Now the changes in basketball simply preclude it. Never will happen except in fantasy land.
We need to focus on what's left...! We figure out the rest of the season we'll be fine. No moping though. The kids know the meat is still in front of them. We should know that too.

Ekrub
12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
No hope EVER for an undefeated season. NOBODY has done that since Indiana in 76. Now the changes in basketball simply preclude it. Never will happen except in fantasy land.
We need to focus on what's left...! We figure out the rest of the season we'll be fine. No moping though. The kids know the meat is still in front of them. We should know that too.

Illinois in 04-05 had a chance at going undefeated. It didn't happen, but that team was awfully close.

ZagsGoZags
12-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I am still hoping for an elite 8

The discouraging part is their quickness athleticism seemed so seasoned compared to that of Bell and Landry. It seemed they were picking the ball right out of our hands sometimes. It made me feel they would beat us 8 out of 10 neutral times.

Maybe the armchair coaches on here are right, maybe more feeding to the post, but it seemed to me that was getting more and more difficult as their defense tightened on that so much. I'm trusting Few on that.

I suppose if we had made more of our threes in the second half it would have lit the crowd to a fever pitch would could have caused our boys to go on a roll, but as their bigs got in foul trouble I was hoping we could have repeatedly driven on the basket (Elias is particularly good at this) drawing fouls.

We had done extremely well and were entitled to dream high, and since we hadn't played anybody ranked, it was the acid test. The awful truth seems to be that we belong in the top 25 but not the top ten.

Illinois may go on to be in the top handful of teams in the country which would make us feel better. And it may have been a wake up call to our guards.

rijman
12-10-2012, 01:40 PM
You're right, it's just one game and I don't think anyone believed the Zags would go undefeated although I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who secretly hopes for it every season. Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. The Zags got experience they will learn from and move on. Much better to lose to Illinois and learn from it than beat another unranked team instead. Playing against good teams will better prepare the Zags for post season, so win or lose this game moved them closer to their goal.

adoptedzag
12-10-2012, 01:46 PM
I just hate losing at home. Ever. Doesn't matter.

Zag79
12-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Undefeated, no, but to basically give this game away is disheartening. Props to Illinois, but it is, IMHO, more on GU then Illinois.

Exactly. Losing isn't what frustrates me, it's losing the SAME way everytime we take an L. People keep talking about our guards missing shots, feeding the post, etc... We gave up 85 points at home. When is the last time you saw an elite team let someone walk into their gym and shoot lights out from 3 (again), have one player go off for 30+ (again), and hang almost 90 on them?

Until we figure out how to stop the barrage of threes and contain one good player from going nuts, we will continue to lose the same way. It hasn't been sine the elite 8 team with Monson that we saw a unique defense specifically designed to stop an offense.

This isn't a fire Few post, nor do I need to know how many games he's won. I hope Mark coaches at Gonzaga as long as the other great coaches stayed around. But until he takes a team past the sweet 16 (he's had the talent and teams), and stops losing games the same way each time it'll be a legit gripe.