PDA

View Full Version : When Illinois went to "zone"?

Goshzagit
12-09-2012, 07:33 PM
gotta wonder why we aren't utilizing 6'5" Dranginis and/or 6'7" Drew Barham at the "3" position more often vs these teams and defenses?

didn't we bring both aboard to spread defenses, snipe shots, and shoot over a zone defense?

everyone is talking about our lack of height and shooting presence along the perimeter. have we forgotten about our two natural shooters, who can handle, pass, shoot, etc?

"taking pressure off GBJ & Pangos when they can't shoot over taller, bigger guards"

We have players who have made a career(Barham) or are known for(Drainginis) just that...

ironically enough, Illinois -- and WSU -- zoned us most of the 2nd half (we should have done the same) and Pangos nor GBJ could hit a thing. We know Edu isn't going to shoot from the wing position, Hart isn't the best offensive option, and Elias' rebounding is too valuable underneath.

So........why not at least try on of the 6'5" or 6'7" players who can actually shoot the ball???

If you are worried about defense, could they be any worse than we have been lately and/or couldn't we just move to the zone when they're in the game.

we understand we needed to continue to feed the post and possibly employ an extended zone more often, yet when our short guards are being exploited and can't find an open shot nor hit one to save their life, what about our two long, tall, skilled, and terrific shooting players in Dranginis or Barham?

Zags needed to make a shot and needed some skilled height along the perimeter and neither really played at all. we've seen what both are capable of doing and Barham has started games for Memphis and is considered the 'best shooter' on the team.

its cute to talk about "11 deep" and interchangeable parts, yet we went no more than 7 deep vs Illinois and really found to way to mitigate our greatest strengths: Frontcourt size & depth.

:mecry:

SteelZag
12-09-2012, 07:49 PM
I can go with those thoughts. I wouldn't mind seeing Bell, KD and Barham in the line-up at the same time. They obviously couldn't do any worse on defense or offense. In all honesty I would rather have seen KD, Barham and PK used way more than they were and lost by twenty. At least use the deeper rotation that was previously working great. If the newbies didn't produce the outcome wouldn't have changed. On the other hand, maybe some taller guards might have slowed down the onslaught.

BTB
12-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I can go with those thoughts. I wouldn't mind seeing Bell, KD and Barham in the line-up at the same time.

+1!!!! Bell, KD, and Barham at the 1, 2, and 3 sounds awesome to me. Plus two seven footers inside? We would be huge! That being said, I still totally trust KP, but this lineup sounds really really potent on paper

SteelZag
12-09-2012, 08:32 PM
+1!!!! Bell, KD, and Barham at the 1, 2, and 3 sounds awesome to me. Plus two seven footers inside? We would be huge! That being said, I still totally trust KP, but this lineup sounds really really potent on paper

I still trust Pangos as well and wouldn't change the starting line-up. I thinking of when Pangos or Bell need a blow why we have to go to smaller guards when we have the option of bigger ones. Stockton can be used just as effectively with taller guards. As has been noted in other threads, KP just isn't working out as a wing.

I would like to see us going back to a ten deep rotation and running people out of the gym. I realize Illinois and other BCS teams have taller, more athletic guards, but I would like to see if they perform as well when totally gassed.

gu03alum
12-10-2012, 04:53 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ekkc6v2v1rnr7c1o1_100.gif

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-10-2012, 05:02 AM
gotta wonder why we aren't utilizing 6'5" Dranginis and/or 6'7" Drew Barham at the "3" position more often vs these teams and defenses?

didn't we bring both aboard to spread defenses, snipe shots, and shoot over a zone defense?

everyone is talking about our lack of height and shooting presence along the perimeter. have we forgotten about our two natural shooters, who can handle, pass, shoot, etc?

"taking pressure off GBJ & Pangos when they can't shoot over taller, bigger guards"

We have players who have made a career(Barham) or are known for(Drainginis) just that...

ironically enough, Illinois -- and WSU -- zoned us most of the 2nd half (we should have done the same) and Pangos nor GBJ could hit a thing. We know Edu isn't going to shoot from the wing position, Hart isn't the best offensive option, and Elias' rebounding is too valuable underneath.

So........why not at least try on of the 6'5" or 6'7" players who can actually shoot the ball???

If you are worried about defense, could they be any worse than we have been lately and/or couldn't we just move to the zone when they're in the game.

we understand we needed to continue to feed the post and possibly employ an extended zone more often, yet when our short guards are being exploited and can't find an open shot nor hit one to save their life, what about our two long, tall, skilled, and terrific shooting players in Dranginis or Barham?

Zags needed to make a shot and needed some skilled height along the perimeter and neither really played at all. we've seen what both are capable of doing and Barham has started games for Memphis and is considered the 'best shooter' on the team.

its cute to talk about "11 deep" and interchangeable parts, yet we went no more than 7 deep vs Illinois and really found to way to mitigate our greatest strengths: Frontcourt size & depth.

:mecry:

I had very similar thoughts about this. I noticed that Dranginis was in the game for a very short period of time, got burned on defense by Chris Paul's superior athleticism and went right back to the bench. I don't know if he lacks athleticism or defensive experience, but I suspect that our coaches don't believe he's ready to defend against that level of player. Unfortunately, I don't think that Pangos or Bell are able to defend that type of player, either.

Dranginis has been called the best post-feeder on the team. That game would have been a great one for a tall player with that skill-set., particularly during that second-half stretch when Illinois was in serious foul trouble and we went six minutes without a field goal. The one thing Illinois could not seem to guard was a tall Zag throwing it up high to another tall Zag. Our bigs shot 75% as a unit in that game and were drawing fouls like crazy, but only when they had the ball in their hands.

john montana
12-10-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm with you on KD...but barnham? Not buying that our 11th man could compete with the IL kids. I would have like to have seen KD in there, even if it meant going offense/defense substitutions when you could with Hart.