PDA

View Full Version : Good Free Throw shooting is essential

combatcorpsmangulaw
12-09-2012, 01:49 PM
If the other teams fouls our guards AND THEY MAKE THE FREE THROWS, the tendency is to not foul those guards. If the guards miss half the free throws, why not foul them?

I haven't looked at the statistics because the statistics can be skewed -- first half, good free throw shooting; second half, bad free throw shooting. end result: may look better on paper but not when the free throws were needed in the game.

Losing to Illinois isn't the end of the world. Poor coaching will be the end of the season when we face elite teams. This game was a wake up call. We simply can't miss 3's, free throws, and ignore our strengths i.e. the size up front.

The Coaches need to take a long hard look at what they're doing and what they're not doing when things BEGIN to go badly. I'm not saying that we have poor coaches --- I'm saying that our coaches get out coached because they appear (to me at least) to be Static rather than Dynamic. For instance: When Illinois players had lots of fouls --- how about attacking those players, forcing them to either foul or give up access to the hoop?

I just get tired of seeing us lose on national television to teams that just take it to the Zags while our coaches seem to be in a fog.

Birddog
12-09-2012, 03:15 PM
11 of 13 or 85% in the 1st half 10 of 14 or 71% in the 2nd. Coming from a team that had been struggling at the line I'd say that was pretty damn good. That is 78% overall! TO's were a much bigger problem IMO.