PDA

View Full Version : Torched!!!

ZagLawGrad
12-09-2012, 09:12 AM
by one heckuva a guard. Paul was in the "zone".

Not the end of the world, but the question that comes up is-----do we have the kind of guards needed to make the deep run everyone wants to see?

There's been a lot of media talk about our two starting guards being the top tandem in the country. Not so sure about that last night.

I love our guys, but expectations have been adjusted apprpriately for now.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi

We learned that we have to junk it up on D at times going forward. A beautiful risk/reward defensive scheme to incorporate with our team is the Triangle and 2 D maybe inverting it on occasion. Hart, Edi & Bell being used interchangeably to carry out the strategy periodically based on match-ups. Let a teams 3rd option beat us. We have the players to make that work. It may require shuffling lineups based on match-ups.

Use it the same way USC used it several years ago to stop Derrick Rose and Chris Douglas Roberts.

Vxo

bartruff1
12-09-2012, 01:28 PM
We don't have anywhere near the best starting guards in the country but I would rather have them than players like Wooten and others...Paul torched Ohio State for 43 last year...and they have the " best on ball defender " in the country in Aaron Craft. Keep in mind that "only" 15 of his 35 were 3's.... the guy is a weapon...

12-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_and_Two_Defense

"One specific example of a team effectively employing the strategy in route to victory was in 1998 when the Utah Utes, led by head coach Rick Majerus and point guard Andre Miller, defeated the #1 seed and defending national champions Arizona Wildcats in the Elite 8 round. Utah successfully neutralized Arizona's two star guards, Miles Simon and Mike Bibby, winning the game by a score of 76-51 and earning a trip to the Final 4."

Vxo

12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Hi!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_and_Two_Defense

"One specific example of a team effectively employing the strategy in route to victory was in 1998 when the Utah Utes, led by head coach Rick Majerus and point guard Andre Miller, defeated the #1 seed and defending national champions Arizona Wildcats in the Elite 8 round. Utah successfully neutralized Arizona's two star guards, Miles Simon and Mike Bibby, winning the game by a score of 76-51 and earning a trip to the Final 4."

Vxo

http://www.fanbase.com/Utah-Utes-Mens-Basketball-1997-98/roster

12-09-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Basketball/The-Complete-Guide-to-the-Triangle-and-Two-Defense_BD-03368.html

Zag 77
12-09-2012, 02:21 PM
This says it all:

I didnt want to rely too much on the 3, but they were giving me open shots so Im not going to stop shooting, said Paul

Ouch.

Reborn
12-09-2012, 02:49 PM
If you watch the game again you will see that GU played horrible defense against the pick and role. Harris especially did not hedge and gave their guards wide open lanes to the basket, and it was not just Brandon Paul who beat us be attacking the basketball on pick and rolls. GU did not execute, and when Olynyk ended up on Paul or Abrams he could not guard them like Sacre could. Olynyk is NOT Sacre. WE missed Robert on defense last night. We missed his leadership, and fire (intensity). Neither Harris or Pangos had that fire last night and that is really bothersome to me. I saw NO leadership last night.

rather than fight back and meet the challenge that Illinois presented us, we just seemed to lack the intensity to fight back....WE could not get the stops when we needed to.

I watched Clemson beat Virginia Tech who was also an undefeated team. Clemson started out horrible and got behind but fought back and one. They had the fire in their bellies that I did not see in Gonzaga.

Hoopaholic
12-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I disagree. We could have rolled over as Illinois made their run but we didn't...it was down to 4 points......we could not get a critical stop or a critical basket but that does not equate to a lack of fire in my book

Hoopaholic
12-09-2012, 03:57 PM
And yes pick n roll defense at times warned and caused issues....