PDA

View Full Version : Draino.........

TacomaZAG
12-09-2012, 06:56 AM
With our current lake of a credible 3 (GLE is in a huge funk and Hart is a 5-10 minute a game energy/glue guy) I think Draino should be getting some major minutes at the 3. He is 6'-5" and can flat out shoot it.

IMHO, the entire season is a preparation for the Dance. With that being said, we are going to need a credible 3 to go beyond the first weekend. Hopefully, GLE will find his stride again, but even if he does he is not a threat from behind the arc. Elias at the 3 has been discussed, but that will only work for a limited time in specialized situations.

We need real threats from behind the arc in order to loosen up the interior defense and take advantage of our superior size in the paint. KP and GBJ are going to be the 1 and 2 (and should be), so the question is the 3. Draino may not be ready for major minutes against the likes of Illinois, K-State, OSU, etc., but it would sure be nice for him to get his feet wet against that level of competition and get major minutes during WCC play.

Prep for March............

We will need Draino in a few months..........

Go ZAGS

Virginia Zags Fan
12-09-2012, 07:20 AM
I think he will get major minutes depending on the matchup. I think the coaching staff is really high on him and are bringing him along at a measured pace. My prediction is that he will see more and more time as the season progresses and will be a major factor in March.

TacomaZAG
12-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Hope you're right, fingers crossed.

The kid can ball................

Go ZAGS

Vanzagger
12-09-2012, 08:47 AM
if I never hear the words "depending on the matchup" again on this board that would be fine with me.

Let teams try and matchup with us. Keep it simple.

bostonzagfan
12-09-2012, 10:04 AM
KD's potential is to be the one thing this team is missing: a tall, rangy, three point shooting sf.

awberke
12-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I would like to see few show some confidence in him, he plays scared in bigger games like he is going to get yanked. He makes good plays and has nice touch around the rim, I think he deserves a few more minutes.

adoptedzag
12-09-2012, 01:38 PM
The kid can ball, no doubt. But the time he was out on the floor against The Illini, his eyes were as big as dinner plates, he looked... dare I say it? scared.

He needs to realize that the name he wears on the front of his shirt should inspire fear in the other team. Not the other way around.

Reborn
12-10-2012, 09:10 AM
He needs to realize that the name he wears on the front of his shirt should inspire fear in the other team. Not the other way around.

A great point.

cjm720
12-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Agree 100% with the OP. Plus I think Draino's our best overall passer. He needs the time now and we need the size on the outside.

23zagmd
12-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm not the coach, but in my opinion it would be nice to have another shooter on the floor for longer stretches..

I'm not talking about someone that needs 10 shots a game...I'm talking about a guy that can be a threat to knock down shots when the ball rotates.

I love Mike Hart and what he does for this team but he's just not that guy. He has a role, he knows that role and executes it well. Unfortunately,there are a lot of times that the ball rotates and he is passing up wide open shots.

Having a guy out there that won't pass those up and can KNOCK down a fairly high percentage is only going to open things up for our other guards.

I don't know if KD is that guy....I think he can be....and I feel like he is way more equipped than GLE and Hart to be that guy. Additionally, I just don't see a huge drop off in defensive ability to keep him on the bench. That is the only potential reasoning behind his lack of minutes, IMO.

I just always look back to the 99 team and the 3 man ability that team had from the perimeter.

gamagin
12-10-2012, 09:52 AM
The kid can ball, no doubt. But the time he was out on the floor against The Illini, his eyes were as big as dinner plates, he looked... dare I say it? scared.

He's going to catch on but hasn't yet.

SteelZag
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure a player would have to knock down a high % of shots from the outside.

The last 2 games GLE and Hart have taken 4 shots total, 1 from the outside. We've seen this 4 vs. 5 offensive scheme before in years past and IIRC it doesn't usually bode well. I would like to see 2 shots per half minimum from the 3 spot just to keep the defense reasonably honest. Basketball is just too hard when you give the opposition an advantage that is needless. We have players that could fill this void.

I love Hart's defensive tenacity and Edi's as well, but I think the trade-off isn't working. In my view, if a poorer defender is in the game the opponents only have the opportunity to score. They're not going to make 100% of their shots. OTOH the opposition will hold our 3's production to zero, 100% of the time if they continue to not shoot.

zagfan1970
12-10-2012, 10:50 AM
He has to shoot and stay aggressive, which he has NOT been since LCSC. Few said he cannot think of himself as a sub or backup. GLE would be just fine. He was the leading scorer through 3 games, but he has become far less aggressive since he missed that explosive dunk attempt. Hart is NEVER going to look for his shot. He is a perfect glue guy and need to be used in spurts. Kyle is probably not ready yet and next year I think it will be the Gerard Coleman SHOW! Coleman vs Paul would have been a terrific matchup.

SteelZag
12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
So are we going to hope GLE returns to normal and in the meantime not explore any other options. I vote to give KD a chance of extended minutes as his defense is adequate in my view. If he doesn't produce offensively, no harm no foul. Give him the keys to the car and if he totals it, we'll hope GLE and Hart step up.

Ezag
12-10-2012, 11:22 AM
So are we going to hope GLE returns to normal and in the meantime not explore any other options. I vote to give KD a chance of extended minutes as his defense is adequate in my view. If he doesn't produce offensively, no harm no foul. Give him the keys to the car and if he totals it, we'll hope GLE and Hart step up.

Good question. GLE might be like Carter who had that brilliant 2nd half of Jr year and couldn't ever get that back the following season.

zagfan1970
12-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Good question. GLE might be like Carter who had that brilliant 2nd half of Jr year and couldn't ever get that back the following season.

If GLE isn't given the opportunity (because Few loves him some David Stockton) so much that instead of using him to rest GBJ or Pangos he plays 3 small guards which cuts into time for GLE, KD, and Hart. MC never got on track because he barely left the station, same goes for Demetri and Manny. The leash is short-

rennis
12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
coaches are usually pretty good at putting their best guys on the floor.

If KD isn't playing, it's probably because he's not as good as the guys who are. (yet.)

pretty darn simple. He has ample opportunity in practice to earn himself game time.

zag944
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Edi and Hart are probably better defenders than KD, but when an athletic and talented perimeter like Illinois gets hot, they arent good enough to stop them (fortunately, there are only a couple of teams with the players to give us this problem to such a degree).

Dranginis gives us the best chance to outscore a team we can't seem to stop. More of a scoring threat, and a much calmer presence. Id like to have seen him more. He did look a bit scared out there though.

TacomaZAG
12-10-2012, 12:57 PM
are the only way to prepare for game minutes. It's simple........

If he's going to be effective in games later on, he needs minutes in games now, games that matter. He already has his LC warm up game under his belt, he needs some minutes under the bright lights. Yes, he will get burned a few times as he adjusts to game speed, but we have to live with it in order for him to mature and progress.

Major minutes against LC and mop up minutes against Pepperdine and Portland aren't going to teach him anything. I hope he gets some minutes on Saturday and against OSU on New Year's Eve, especially if GLE's funk continues.

Go ZAGS