PDA

View Full Version : BobZag how about a scrum update ??

GSL-KID
08-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Have you been around lately to see a game or 2 ??

wazZag
08-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Here is a good one in case you missed it,

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=4126

Scotto
08-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I saw the last three scrims this past weekend.

* Daye looks good, except he's a bit of a black hole when it comes to passing up the ball.
* Pargo was back Monday night and brought a whole level of play to the gym.
* Micah has been playing well, although the ongoing bickering between him and Josh worries me.
* Gray didn't show much other than a nice put back dunk.
* I was really impressed with LG. Plays every play like it could be his last.
* Sacre continues to post up hard on Josh and Will every posession, you can see that both of them are getting a bit tired of it.
* Josh took Daye to school the other night. Taking him down in the low post and scoring at will. Daye came back hard and it was good to see him stand up for himself.

Overall the three nights weren't great. A lot of former players and camp councilers playing watered the runs down a times. In terms of just not having the current kids playing against each other, not in terms of play.

All told, it's going to be an exciting year, lots of kids who can fill the net. Question is, who gets the minutes and the shots?

mnzag24
08-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I saw the last three scrims this past weekend.

* Daye looks good, except he's a bit of a black hole when it comes to passing up the ball.
* Pargo was back Monday night and brought a whole level of play to the gym.
* Micah has been playing well, although the ongoing bickering between him and Josh worries me.
* Gray didn't show much other than a nice put back dunk.
* I was really impressed with LG. Plays every play like it could be his last.
* Sacre continues to post up hard on Josh and Will every position, you can see that both of them are getting a bit tired of it.
* Josh took Daye to school the other night. Taking him down in the low post and scoring at will. Daye came back hard and it was good to see him stand up for himself.

Overall the three nights weren't great. A lot of former players and camp councilers playing watered the runs down a times. In terms of just not having the current kids playing against each other, not in terms of play.

All told, it's going to be an exciting year, lots of kids who can fill the net. Question is, who gets the minutes and the shots?

Scotto:

First of all, great report, really appreciate it. But when you say bickering between Micah and Josh, are they arguing about plays, not passing, shot selection...? What former players were there?

HillBillyZag
08-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Scotto, Thanks for the report. I hope that its just the competitive streak that all good athletes possess playing out. Without mentioning names, there are a couple of veterans returning who have their plates full merely proving that they belong on the floor and we sure do not need any frosh hot-dogging it either. I am not sure too much UNMONITERED play is good at the present time.

lothar98zag
08-01-2007, 12:53 PM
We're doomed!

Ikancagin
08-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the report. Question. What time, and where are they playing?

El Voce
08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Scotto:

First of all, great report, really appreciate it. But when you say bickering between Micah and Josh, are they arguing about plays, not passing, shot selection...? What former players were there?

I'm thinking it might be a good thing if the guys are getting a little owly after having played against each other all summer.

Scotto
08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
They play for about 45 minutes around 9pm at the MAC. This was for the campers who were there. Not sure if its a regular nightly thing. Most of the players are going home in the next few days for a few weeks.

So of the former players included Ravio, Hernandez, Knight and a couple others that I don't know the names of.

Zag509
08-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I respect your opinion Rebornzagfan, but I just dont see LG playing over Bouldin at the end of a game.

pbriz
08-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I think LG would be the PERFECT guy to have in at the end of a game. He's tough, a lockdown defender, and can press and defend an inbounds. The last shot wouldnt be going to bouldin anyways so why not put our best defender into the game?

MDABE80
08-01-2007, 10:08 PM
We never really got a look and prolonged look at LG when he was a frosh. We know he's a good defender but his offense was never on display. Remember , he was a frosh and Ammo shot SO much the newbies never really did much. Also, Matt's defense as a freshman surely isn't Matt as a sophomore.

This said, more needs to be known as to how LG's recovery has gone and if his offense is as good as advertised when he came. Matt's offense seems to have fizzled in the U-19 Pan Am experience but I'm still not clear why......even though lots of reasons were offered. Still not sure though.

As those 2 get deeper in the pre-season, I guess we'll know more about each. One thing though, I can easily see how LG could be used in any game and at any time in a game when defense is key. We just need to know more about these kids. I suspect we'll know lots more as the pre-season wears on.

BobZag
08-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Scrums are done til September, guys. :( Bummer. But the guys are tired and need a break--fishing, boating, etc.

Josh and Micah chirping? Hah, you never saw Ammo vs Ronny or Ryan Floyd vs Santangelo. lol

DavyZag
08-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Just reading this stuff gets me so fired up for the season to start! And I think Josh and Micah getting up in each other's grills is a good thing... that shows they are competitive, fired up, and taking it seriously.

As for Bouldin... the guy is cash money and is going to be on the floor at the ends of games no questions asked. I read an article somewhere on ESPN.com that said Bouldin was playing power forward for a while at that tournament. Something tells me that might explain his dip in production.

Ok... I know someone is going to ask for the link...

we had tiny Tajuan Porter (5-6) at the point and Matt Boudin (6-5) played power forward at times

From Doug Gottlieb... http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=gottlieb_doug&id=2954290

EDIT: Yes, Gottlieb spelled his name wrong. Awesome.

Zag509
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I wouldnt be suprised to have Larry on the floor at the end of games, but in no way does he replace Beau. Bouldin is a better passer, shooter, and ball handler. I would think both would be on the floor at the end before we pull Matt. (unless there he is foul trouble, in which case I would love to see an offense-defense sub deal with them)

I think people are being a little to hard on Matt's D, its not nearly up to LG's level, but hes still a 6'5'' decently quick and strong gaurd who knows the game.

On the counter...Larry showed some real offensive promise his frosh year. I remember a pass to either Adam or JP in one game that was dang impressive (UW??) and without the hand I'm sure he would have shot better.