PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Illinois

Virginia Zags Fan
12-08-2012, 09:23 PM
They came back and played a good game. Brandon Paul is sensational. Without him, they would have been smoked. But great players rise to the occasion.

combatcorpsmangulaw
12-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Not taking anything away from Brandon Paul or the Illini team but where is our outside shot???

3-point defense is non-existent tonite.

Bardo said it all --- 'use your BIGS'

Disappointing loss --- No Plan B imo.

HOOTER
12-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Their greats are better than ours. The Zags had their first real challenge tonight and failed. Congrats to the clearly better team.

Zag@LMU
12-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Knew this b.s. thread was coming

zagapotomus
12-08-2012, 09:32 PM

+1

awberke
12-08-2012, 09:34 PM
They came back and played a good game. Brandon Paul is sensational. Without him, they would have been smoked. But great players rise to the occasion.

I don't really feel too bad about the game, illinois played really well.

zagapotomus
12-08-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't really feel too bad about the game, illinois played really well.

I only feel bad because we didn't feed the post as much as we should have imo

GSHSoldier
12-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Their greats are better than ours. The Zags had their first real challenge tonight and failed. Congrats to the clearly better team.

That's what it comes down to and college ball is all about guards

omahazag
12-08-2012, 09:36 PM

No kidding-stupid thread

Zags11
12-08-2012, 09:36 PM

Negative. They used there best player, we didn't.

Zags11
12-08-2012, 09:38 PM

People have the right to complain. You don't halfta read them. I think we are better. Poor Execution by players and staff.

HillBillyZag
12-08-2012, 09:38 PM
What else can you say. Brandon Paul was the best player on the floor tonight. If you did'nt see that?, you better get new glasses. On the other hand, one game does not a season make? We quit pushig it inside and got into a three point shooting contest with them, not the brightest thing to do.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Knew this B.S. comment was coming.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-08-2012, 09:39 PM
The Illini played harder and smarter than we did. They earned this win. I'm glad that they were willing to come into our gym and hope to see them back in Spokane in a couple of years.

Das Zagger
12-08-2012, 09:41 PM

From a "zag fan" at LMU none the less!

bartruff1
12-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Negative. They used there best player, we didn't......Don't know why..but credit to them, poised... very quick hands and good defense... and Paul...great game by a very skilled player we had no match for...

Das Zagger
12-08-2012, 09:43 PM
.....Don't know why..but credit to them, poised... very quick hands and good defense... and Paul...great game by a very skilled player we had no match for...

Illinois sees this night in and night out, they don't get a San Diego or Pacific to take a break with.

Better recruiting, better fan base, better competition, etc.

But, buuuut, that's why we play these teams, because we don't get that opportunity come WCC regular season.

GSHSoldier
12-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Brandon Paul is a Lottery pick

HOOTER
12-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Negative. They used there best player, we didn't.

So would you say that Few was out-coached?

caduceus
12-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Welcome to December.

http://info.betransported.com/Portals/150406/images/angry-snowman_1558278i-resized-600.jpg

P.S. As usual, we'll be fine.

MDABE80
12-08-2012, 09:58 PM
They beat us. They did better. We didn't make shots in the last 5 minutes. Not much more to say. When we or any team doesn't make shots, we/they lose. Paul's obviously a superior player. We move on...........big schedule left to work with.

Zag@LMU
12-08-2012, 09:59 PM

From a "zag fan" at LMU none the less!

Comment was more based on the fact that its b.s. that we lose games like this. About 25% is because I hate congratulating teams immediately after they dominate us on our home floor.

1973Zag
12-08-2012, 10:02 PM
I would not trade coach few for anyone, but TONIGHT! I think he may have been out coached". It happens to the best

Goshzagit
12-08-2012, 10:05 PM
forcing the motion when it was unnecessary...didn't pound it down low, much at all.

no minutes for Karnowski again, after he scored 9 pts in 9 mins.

we needed Dower, we need Dower. he hasn't played since LC-State.

really tough to win when your best prospects don't play or are underutilized and your guards can't make shots.

Props to Illinois for a great game, great efforts, and great guards. A very good, albeit beatable team. Sweet shooting though...impressive win by them.

Zags ain't no Top-10 team, they could be, if they played to their strengths a bit more.

Zags11
12-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Yea I would. Should of won this gm.

Das Zagger
12-08-2012, 10:12 PM
P.S. As usual, we'll be fine.

We'll win the regular season (maybe), win in Vegas (maybe), and might eek out a win in the first round.

If not, the cycle repeats and the sun rises in the east.

Oregonzagnut
12-08-2012, 10:13 PM
We quit pushig it inside and got into a three point shooting contest with them, not the brightest thing to do.

Few stopped doing that in Pullman. In spite of knowing that against Illinois we HAD to go inside to KArno and Kelly he did not. He tried to MATCH THEIR BACKCOURT? What?

Seriously, how did we not learn from the WSU game that we need to have Karno and Kelly post up EVERY time. Bring their defense in, then shoot the wide open threes. I'm at a loss for why Few is forcing this lineup and rotation when it clearly is not utilizing our frontcourt NOR our depth.

FRESH LEGS are good for Defnese and we should have thrown everything we had at them in our defense. We knew what they had to do and we let them.

HOOTER
12-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Yea I would.

Can't disagree. Gonzaga had the weapons, they just weren't utilized to their full potential.

Zags11
12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Can't disagree. Gonzaga had the weapons, they just weren't utilized to their full potential.

If we lose to a better squad and we threw the kitchen sink at them....then fine. We didnt use the strength of our squad. We let them dictate the ball game. Its up to our Coaching staff to make the point.

spike_jr
12-08-2012, 11:17 PM

Yep. We did not exploit our advantage inside and we let one guy beat us.

Vanzagger
12-09-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm still pissed we lost to Illinois last year. We had their bigs in foul trouble and went small.

I remember a lot of people here were happy we hung with them? We had a Laker and a returning WCC mvp.

Let's draw a line this year please.

Oregonzagnut
12-09-2012, 12:19 AM
One thing I am learning about Few is when he makes up his mind, he does not change it. In spite of everyone and their grandmother telling him to go inside hard and often to beat Illinois.

Zagdawg
12-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Congrats--they played well.

Zag Man
12-09-2012, 12:21 PM
The Illini played harder and smarter than we did. They earned this win. I'm glad that they were willing to come into our gym and hope to see them back in Spokane in a couple of years.

Illinois is a top-10 team and they played like it. I also thought Brandon Paul was sensational and we had no answer for him. We got the privilege to see a fabulous senior guard playing and how much of a difference an experienced player brings to the court.

Was it me or were the Zags just slow during the game? I would not be surprised if some of the players were either in the middle of getting a cold or just getting over one. I got a severe cold before Thanksgiving and it's still bothering me. It just didn't look like the energetic Zags we've seen earlier in the season. I hope the players let this game fade from their memories quickly so that they can concentrate on Kansas State University this weekend.

zag944
12-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Keep winning Illini - grab a 1 seed. Ill be rooting for you big time.

jim77
12-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Congrats ILLINI nation/players. You guys play hard..I respect that. Good luck the rest of the way. Brandon P is a great player.

Reborn
12-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Congrats: YOu have a great coach. The team is playing with fire in their belly.

WallaWallaZag
12-09-2012, 06:02 PM
don't mind this loss if it means our guards get better...we still aren't going anywhere past the 2nd weekend if our backcourt doesn't improve, no matter how good our frontcourt is...percentages for both bell and pangos are down from their freshman years and stockton still makes the same silly passes at times. hart gives it his all, but he can't play 20+ minutes and not take a single shot.

Ekrub
12-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Yea I would. Should of won this gm.

Going to agree with you here. I generally defend few when people critique his coaching but this was one game I put on Few. Still think he is one of the best coaches in the nation and the best coach for GU.

Our guards being outmatched really didn't help though :(