PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs athletic guards

ZagsObserver
12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
I love gonzaga against teams that score most of their points in the paint. However, gonzaga struggles against either athletic guards or guards that can pop the three. An athletic guard that can shoot the three gives the zags all sorts of fits. I could see gonzaga going to the final four and I can see gonzaga losing in the round of 32. It might just come down to matchups.

Ezag
12-08-2012, 08:24 PM
This has been the case for many years, athletic guards and the three ball are a tough battle for us

Virginia Zags Fan
12-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Illinois only made 11 3-pt shots. Before the game if you said they would only make 11, I would have been pretty happy. They made several and 1's by breaking down our guards.

Big guards do give our guards trouble. This is not a secret all the way back to Dan Dickau.

Worthington
12-08-2012, 08:39 PM
We simply could not guard Brandon Paul. I don't think that game was a fluke either, we just don't have any one that can match up with him. He absolutely terrorized us. Biggest disappointment was that our guards could not make up any of the slack on offense. I don't know if they are incapable of breaking down a defense or just allergic to the paint, but Bell and Pangos were relegated to passing around the perimeter and hoisting the occasional 3 all night long. As much as our advantage was obviously on the inside tonight, it is very worrisome when any time Pangos or Bell did anything I found myself saying "Why did they shoot that? They should just pass to Olynyk or Harris" If our guards can't be more dynamic scoring threats then teams will have our number all season long.

Ezag
12-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Brandon Paul must have skyped Draymond Green before the game on some "going off on Gonzaga" pointers

Zags11
12-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I think we are better but alot of curious decision making.

Zag79
12-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Illinois only made 11 3-pt shots. Before the game if you said they would only make 11, I would have been pretty happy. They made several and 1's by breaking down our guards.

Big guards do give our guards trouble. This is not a secret all the way back to Dan Dickau.

I wouldn't have been "pretty happy", 11 treys is a ton. Not only does the defense allow threes, it allows layups because sending our bigs running all over leaves the lane open. And on offense we shot too many, feeding the post more would have easily increased the chances of winning. We scored 74 points, that's not bad against a top 15 big ten team. But allowing 85? Yikes.

ZagaZags
12-09-2012, 01:10 AM

Illinois hits an AVG of 10+ 3 pointers a game. That is #1 in the nation.

RenoZag
12-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Brandon Paul must have skyped Draymond Green before the game on some "going off on Gonzaga" pointers

Actually it was a conference call with Kevin Foster, Dellavedova, Anthony Ireland, Mickey McConnell, Klay Thompson. . .

The more things change the more they stay the same.

GoZags
12-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Actually it was a conference call with Kevin Foster, Dellavedova, Anthony Ireland, Mickey McConnell, Klay Thompson. . .

The more things change the more they stay the same.

PG Sean Singletary of Virginia wasn't on the call because his 35 in the Kennel against the Zags came in a loss.

awberke
12-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Anyone remember Few's response to a big guard (Dellavedova) breaking us down in vegas last year? It was rotate our 7 foot Sacre onto him. That's how hard it is for us to guard taller guards.