PDA

View Full Version : GBJ Tweet re: lineup

tobizag
12-08-2012, 12:42 PM
anyone else see this and wonder what was up?

Gary Bell Jr.
‏@GBell_5

It's crazy how a lineup changes everything. 👍

Reply Retweet Favorite More

https://twitter.com/GBell_5/status/277520849236545537

A to Zags
12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
anyone else see this and wonder what was up?

https://twitter.com/GBell_5/status/277520849236545537

I know nothing but will guess: The game is about matchups and perhaps he's referring to how that effects the decisions about who is on the floor?

JPtheBeasta
12-08-2012, 01:00 PM
2nd half of WSU game?

Oregonzagnut
12-08-2012, 01:03 PM
I agree with him if it is about the 2nd half. Only he knows exactly what he means.

I thought Few had a very successful starting 5 and 2nd string rotation after the Davidson game. At least until it proved otherwise. But the WSU game was back to vintage Few. The mysterious, poker faced, silent and unassuming mastermind that he is.

I just hope he can keep away from fixing what isn't broken.

Zag365
12-08-2012, 01:17 PM
2nd half of WSU game?

Gotta be that. Can't imagine he'd be talking about tonight's game.

zagapotomus
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't know why he'd tweet about the Thursday game 1 hour ago

tobizag
12-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't know why he'd tweet about the Thursday game 1 hour ago

yeah, that was kind of what i was thinking.

it'll be interesting to see who starts.

MickMick
12-08-2012, 01:29 PM
I'll throw in my concurrence.

This is a reference to GU starting the second half against WSU with Olynyk and Hart. It proved to turn the game completely around.

If so, then Bell is absolutely correct. Further, if one were to consider that Illinois brings many of the same aspects as WSU, perhaps Mark Few uses that same lineup to start against the Illini.

Would not surprise me in the least.

This lineup would bring rebounding, defensive IQ, and hustle to loose balls. It would lose a little firepower in transition offense. Perhaps Few is not going to push the ball as much, again referencing the difficulty of speeding up WSU.

If we expect to turn the opponent over, I want Edi in there for the break away dunks in transition. We may not turn over the veteran Illinois guards. In that case, defense will be played closer to the rim and further from mid court. If so, you want Hart in there to provide help defense on the penetration drives.

Zags have to really take care of the ball in a slower game as each possession has increased value. Edi's stock really drops if GU can't speed up the opponent and I doubt if GU can speed up the veteran Illinois guards. Hart is very good at the long rebounds, an asset against a team that shoots from the perimeter.

BobZag
12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Obviously a malcontent!

Baldwinzag
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
possibly referring to GLE being out of sorts lately. he's been completely ineffective as well as a "pass inhibitor" along the perimeter.

meaning he's not moving the ball once he receives it, which is imperative as a SF/wing in our system.

yes, he jab-step fakes and shows a shot fake attempt, yet no productive pass occurs to a post, an open man, or even create(dribble-drive) himself, rather always passing back to the PG to "reset" the offense on nearly ever possession he receives, which should occur after all options are executed or need a bail out, yet he's doing it far too frequently since he holds the ball and stalls the offense WAAYYYYYYY too long...

this was glaring & clearly apparent after rewatching the Pacific & WSU games. I have an inkling he's injured to some extent or he's out of shape/burnt out, because he's literally moving at half the speed on both sides of the court.

my feeling is Gary Bell is stating the fact our offense isn't moving or executing nearly as well with GLE lately and maybe a lineup change is occurring this game i.e. Mike Hart, Kyle Dranginis, someone that can make things happen within the flow of our offense.

I actually love GLE's game, yet considering he's playing at 50% and been frustrating his teammates(and coaches) on offense, I could see a drastic lineup change a coming...and as early as this evening. Until he gets up to game speed and plays within himself and understand his role once again....no way should he play more than 10 mins a game, simply for his strength and nose for the ball, but that's it right now. He's just not getting it right now.

IslandZag
12-08-2012, 01:48 PM
For what it is worth, if we are going to analyze a tweet it is best if we analyze the whole tweet. See the little box at the end of the message?

"It's crazy how a lineup changes everything. 👍"

That is a place holder for an emoticon that can only be seen on an iPhone or similar device. It happens to be a a "thumbs up" (like the one at the top of my post). Just thought folks might like to know.

Go Zags!!!!!

RenoZag
12-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Obviously a malcontent!

:roll:

SteelZag
12-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm all for line up changes. In another post jim77 suggested a line up of Dranginis, Hart, Bell, Harris and Olynyk.

The worst thing that could happen is that we are down by 10 before the first time out. That would just put us in our comfort zone. Then, in comes a fresh Pangos raining threes while Illinois is starting to get gassed.

ridgebackzag
12-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Olynyk is starting would be my guess. Hart is better off the bench, always has been, and that's not a knock on him.

zag944
12-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Seems like an odd thought to put on a public Twitter account. I wouldnt want Dower or Edi to take it as a knock from their teammate. Hopefully he is just talking about his Madden dynasty or something.

I remember last year when he tweaked his knee in a game, then made a tweet the next day about something being wrong. A few of us freaked out but it turned out to be about something else.

ZagNative
12-08-2012, 05:57 PM
From Twitter seconds ago:

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm

GU starters: Pangos, Bell Jr., Edi, Olynyk and Harris. Sammy D still has a bug but is suited up.