PDA

View Full Version : it's a miracle

jazzdelmar
12-08-2012, 08:57 AM
as tip approaches, just think about this: it's amazing, here we have the #12 or something team in the country, a program among the elite in college sports, a BCS/Big Ten power forever, traveling thousands of miles and coming into a relatively small on-campus gym to play a non-BCS team........with a national TV audience on a Saturday night......and on top of that, the BCS team is a double digit underdog!!!!

if that's not a miracle, i dont know what is? it's way past time for a 60 minutes/ESPN 30-30 segment of that miracle program, though it will never happen owing to the caprices of college sports, among other things.

still, it's a secular miracle, IMO.

RenoZag
12-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Indeed. Well said, jazz.

bartruff1
12-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Especially when you consider that Kevin shoots to much and Gary doesn't shoot enough and Few doesn't have a clue...

ZagNative
12-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Especially when you consider that Kevin shoots to much and Gary doesn't shoot enough and Few doesn't have a clue...Too funny, Bart!

MickMick
12-08-2012, 09:40 AM
as tip approaches, just think about this: it's amazing, here we have the #12 or something team in the country, a program among the elite in college sports, a BCS/Big Ten power forever, traveling thousands of miles and coming into a relatively small on-campus gym to play a non-BCS team........with a national TV audience on a Saturday night......and on top of that, the BCS team is a double digit underdog!!!!

if that's not a miracle, i dont know what is? it's way past time for a 60 minutes/ESPN 30-30 segment of that miracle program, though it will never happen owing to the caprices of college sports, among other things.

I'm hoping for a March miracle.

This season will end up in one of three ways:

1) The team will be regarded as the best Zag team ever.

2) The team will be regarded as the most over rated team ever.

3) The team will leave us dissapointed, but very proud.

If number 2 happens, I doubt I will visit here for a long, long time. The angry "fans" that come out of the woodwork will be especially appalling. The bottom line is that I will love GU hoops far in to the future.

If number 3 happens, I doubt I will vist here for a few months. There will still be fans that throw the team and/or coach under the bus. It is one thing to critique what happens on the court. It is quite another to take it to a personal level. It is when some of us are dissapointed, yet still proud, that I am most annoyed with "concern" trolls.

If number 1 happens, I hope, more than anything, that Mark Few gets the proper accolades he so richly deserves. Keep in mind how his recruiting classes rank. For example, what is GU's average recruiting rank for the past three years?

This is why I think he is the finest coach in the land. He is human. He makes mistakes. I still wouldn't take any coach in the country over Mark Few. Not a single one.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-08-2012, 09:43 AM
I hesitate to call it a miracle because the program got to this point due to the extremely hard work of some very talented coaches, players and university leaders. But I absolutely agree with your sentiment. This program is truly remarkable.

ZagMan in Philly
12-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Good words Jazz...we have come a long way.

By the way, I stopped by to visit Brian Zoubek of Duke yesterday with my family. He now owns a cream puffs shop in Haddonfield, NJ (just outside of Philly). We chatted a little about basketball, and told him we were there at MSG for Duke vs Zags. He remembered the game, and although they beat us up pretty bad, he said they respect the Zags and think our program are getting better each year. He got a few pictures of Duke BB Team visiting the White House in 2010 on the wall, after their Championship (oh how i envy that).

http://haddon.patch.com/articles/brian-zoubek-s-cream-puff-shop-open#photo-10812741

Anyways, my boys love the cream puffs.

rijman
12-08-2012, 10:08 AM
It's been a fun ride in recent years watching the Zags consistently make the NCAA tourney with the potential of having their best team this season. I am thrilled for all the older alumni and players who still follow their team with pride. I know a number of 70+ yr old alum and ex players from the 50's into the 70's who are still die hard fans, this recent run is exciting for them after enduring decades of relative obscurity. My dad assisted Hank Anderson in the 50's, it was just the 2 of them, and he was amazed and pleased by the growth of the program over the years. I don't think he would have ever guessed GU would bring in top ranked teams, he knew the top teams avoided Spokane like the plague. He's no longer here to watch the Zags games, but I watch every game and root for our Zags on his behalf. If the Zags growth and success over the years isn't a miracle, it's very very special at the least.

Oregonzagnut
12-08-2012, 10:09 AM
it's a secular miracle, IMO.

I am going to say a secular prayer :pray: for that secular miracle.:bishop_smiley: and I am going to go out on a secular limb like St Marys does and say that "GodisaZag". Secularly of course. :D

I agree with Jazzy's OP and I am continually reminded how lucky we are . But it wasn't luck at all. IMO, if this is a miracle, then it sure took a lot of hard work, a lot of time and a lot of trust and ethics to get this miracle. And a little luck in how the ball bounced a few times over the years. We can hold our heads up and say we did it the right way. The fact that Mark Few didn't bolt for the big money is the biggest miracle, IMO.

23zagmd
12-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Too funny, Bart!

with Bart! Absolutely, classic!

abarefootboy
12-08-2012, 10:39 AM
perhaps it is ... through this team we become secularly sacred .. or is it sacredly secular ... oh well .. i love the mysterious joy of Holy Zagdom

Tat Tvam Asi (Sanskrit: तत् त्वम् असि or तत्त्वमसि), a Sanskrit sentence, translated variously as "That art thou," "That thou art," "Thou art that," "You are that," or "That you are," .

bballbeachbum
12-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Especially when you consider that Kevin shoots to much and Gary doesn't shoot enough and Few doesn't have a clue...

:lmao: thanks bart

bballbeachbum
12-08-2012, 11:28 AM

it's a real testament to the program's sustained excellence. no doubt this year's team is benefitting from this year's scheduling, playing a schedule like the big boys often do, getting big out of conference games at home.

TacomaZAG
12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
The beauty/miracle/uniqueness of ZAG basketball is an extension of the overall mission of the school. The thing that sets Gonzaga apart for me is the unique combination of the size of the school (small, individual emphasis), the Jesuit role at the school (religion, educational emphasis) and a nationally recognized major sport (rallying point for students/alums).

The miracle that is Gonzaga is that all three of these extremely important parts blend so effortlessly and naturally, although they clearly haven't "just happened". It has taken decades for each of these elements to develop on their own and with each other, expanding, evolving, and growing together without ever losing sight of the primary reason for the school's existence.

My family has been a part of the GU experience from 1971 through the present day, and seeing the positive changes co-existing with the Jesuit traditions never ceases to amaze me. GU was, is, and always will be a miracle to me, and I am forever grateful for the effect the institution continues to have on me and members of my family.

Go ZAGS

abarefootboy
12-08-2012, 12:03 PM
i am in accord TacomaZag. i think of it all the time. it is the humanitarian spirit of the school come to fruition. i appreciate the cultivation of the scholar - athlete - human being.

when the team visits the local hospitals .. my heart melts to see qualities of compassion being cultivated in young hearts

for me ... this is the blessing of the Zags ... and why they are America's second favorite team

Zag79
12-08-2012, 12:07 PM

We know, we know... Few wins 80% of his games, would he if he was in a BCS conference? We havent been past the sweet 16 since Monson, with the talent we have it's a legit topic that we should be able to make a deeper run at least once.

Not too many poeple said Kevin shouldn't shoot, they simply pointed out his struggles which are statistically factual. And yes, GBJ does need to be more aggressive and look for his shot. He tends to disappear or lack assertiveness, which is noted by some of the smartest college hoops analysts of all time.

It all makes for good basketball discussion, which is what the board is for. If everyone wrote how amazing Few is over and over (without ONE elite 8 run), it wouldn't be much fun now would it?

That being said, we are damn lucky to have such a special program full of character guys to cheer for every season. As a season ticket holder for years, I feel even more appreciative over the quality hoops we get to watch every time these guys step on the floor.

But even those that should be thankful for what they have should never be content. A winning % of near 80 is amazing, but some deeper runs in March would be appreciated as well. ;) Great post Jazz, two thumbs up!

23dpg
12-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I am also continually amazed at what this little school in Spokane has done over the last decade plus.:cheers: