PDA

View Full Version : Is the 3 ball

ZagLawGrad
12-08-2012, 09:42 AM
the Zags Achilles heel?

Not a lot of weaknesses on this year's team. But it sure seems that opponents hit a lot of them against the Zags. Does Few intentionally let the 3 be open because it is a lesser percentage shot, and he knows it is hard for a team to keep hitting them all game long?

Motum and company erased an 11 point lead with 4 of them at the end of the game this past Wednesday. (Motum was in the "zone", though)

A team that lives and dies by the 3 is a dangerous team, especially considering that the Zags have traditionally not defended the perimeter very well.

But living by the 3 ball can also be sure death for a team, hot one half and a lid on the basket the next half.

The 3 ball worries me, especially with thie Illinois team.

primal23
12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
I think the WSU game shows that even though this team is better, 3pt D is still sub-par at best. Not a good thing going up against a team that has the 2nd most 3pt shots taken.

GrizZAG
12-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Seems we were playing a more intense smothering defense in the half court early in the season and have slacked off a bit in more recent games. We were all over opposition early on. Need it back. Defense was causing turnovers earlier.

Baldwinzag
12-08-2012, 10:43 AM
interesting stat:

we rank 318 (out of 335) teams at 3pt FG's attempted by the opposition.

it doesn't mean other teams are making them, but rather shooting them -- a lot vs us.

i'm sure this has something to do with a pair of 7-foot players down low and applied pressure in the paint, yet on the flip side, our somewhat porous match-up zone and open looks as well. not to mention our very solid rotations underneath and on dribble-drives.

question is, does Illinois take advantage and hit uncontested shots all night or do we switch it up, close out nicely, and chase them off the line.

I honestly have no idea. If Illinois knocks down 50+% from 3pt, I presume we'll lose and possibly lose big.

primal23
12-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Seems we were playing a more intense smothering defense in the half court early in the season and have slacked off a bit in more recent games. We were all over opposition early on. Need it back. Defense was causing turnovers earlier.

As the quality of team went up, D has looked less impressive. But I'm a pessimist lol

Ezag
12-08-2012, 11:04 AM
seems like it has been a Gonzaga weakness for many years....

MickMick
12-08-2012, 12:15 PM
This isn't exclusive to GU..

It is how Northern Iowa beats Kansas in the sweet 16. It is the great equalizer. It has changed the face of the game.

It is the only hope for Illinois.

Hoopaholic
12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Shooting 50% from 3 land does not equate to a loss for us

If they get 70 possessions, shoot 36 3 point shots hitting 50% of those that is54 points.

If we steal 4 and create 10 turnovers that gives them 20 possessions. Even at 50 % shooting that gives them total of 74 points..

Limit their possessions, contest all their shots rebound and force 10 pr more turnovers and have a decent offensive output we win

maynard g krebs
12-08-2012, 01:40 PM
it sure seems that opponents hit a lot of them against the Zags.

Opponents are a combined 62-196 for the season; less than 32%.
Zags are 62-158, better than 39%.

Hoopaholic
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
It's an illusion because other teams are shooting so many more and some of those are bound to go in. I will take. 32% defense of the three ball all year long

gamagin
12-08-2012, 01:46 PM
So who wants it ? It's the ultimate test every game. But we have the home town edge and crowd. They have an experienced senior back court that could be hard to rattle. We have two future stars who play best at home.

We need to do what we do best, keep them from executing fully, their game, and take our game to them & refuse them theirs, enough to win.

It's going to be great game, I believe. Ours for the taking.

SteelZag
12-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Other than a trip to Hawaii, Illinois hasn't played outside of Champaign. In their 1 point victory over Hawaii in OT they shot just slightly below their season averages. Hawaii shot even worse, had 8 more TO and shot 54.8% from the charity stripe. They did however out rebound Illinois 44-28.

I think this game is right in our wheelhouse.

Zags win 83-72!

:cheers:

Oregonzagnut
12-08-2012, 02:27 PM
After 8 games I thought Few had our line-ups pretty obvious. Now about all I can count on seeing predictably is Harris, Olynyk and Pangos.

I literally have no idea what Few will do. The eye test that we all base on what we have seen for 9 games says one thing, what Few does may be completely different.

Go Zags, just get the win!

Zag365
12-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I'd like to hear some of our former D-1 players analyze; but, it looks to me like other teams, if they decide to game plan to shoot the 3 against us, are able to use there size and/or athletism to take advantage of our inability to quickly recover and get to open shooters on the perimeter after we have overplayed to one side or doubled down on players in the paint. We also have short guards and average size wings. I don't think we lack hustle and grit. More a problem of quickness and size.

BobZag
12-08-2012, 02:37 PM
The "3 ball" is a gimmick, you know, like the "4 point field goal" and the "5 run grand slam."

Zag@LMU
12-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Were so scared of the Illinois three ball that we've been overlooking the fact that were just as good of three point shooters as they are, we just happen to have another strength that they don't.

bballbeachbum
12-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Illini guards are taller than our guys in the backcourt, can maybe shoot over them even after the quick recovery and see the basket easier, maybe even get by them sometimes off the bounce. But playing at home the Zags have been pretty electric, highly energized, very disruptive in the back court. I think KP and GBj shooting it well in Spokane puts offensive pressure on the other teams' guards to try to keep up and makes those two even more effective defensively.

should make for a great game, maybe a shootout in the backcourt.

got to smash inside though, clearly. big Zag advantages to exploit

ZagLawGrad
12-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Well! If the 3 ball isn't the achilles heel, then I can't think what else is at the top of the list after WSU and Illinois and the past few seasons.

Birddog
12-08-2012, 09:58 PM
I can see the headlines now. "Tavern Mystery" Taverns throughout Washington State are reporting that mysteriously, the 3 ball is being stolen from watering hole pool tables. Just as mysteriously, the 3 balls are arriving by mail in the GU Athletic Department. GU officials said that a task force has been selected to sort them out and get them back to their proper owners.