PDA

View Full Version : Do you think K2 will be a factor in tomorrow's game vs Illinois

Reborn
12-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I was thinking about what an Illinois fan said about that in one of his posts. He said that he didn't think that it would be a factor because they are a Senior led team, as well as the fact that they have played in all kinds of arenas. San Diego St and Michigan St were two senior led teams who were ranked (like Illinois is) and did come into K2 and beat the Zags. Both teams had a senior who scored over 30 points.

I remember both of those losses well. They felt like a dagger to the heart. I was under that expectation that ranked teams could not beat Gonzaga at home. I had been looking forward to these kinds of teams coming into K2 to play the Zags. As I look back, neither of those Gonzaga teams advanced past the second round in the NCAA's. And I think that both of the two teams that beat us here did make it past the second round.

If this year's Zag's want to become one of the special Zag teams I think that they should be able to show that they CAN defeat a ranked team from the East and from the Big 10 at home. A great team needs to defend their home court with pride. I think that if we are to really have hope that this Gonzaga team can go past the second, and maybe third round in the NCAA tournament, they need to get the victory tomorrow.

I am not sure if K2 will have much of an affect on Illiois. It may not. BUT.....i DO believe that it will have an affect on Gonzaga. I think Gonzaga WILL play better at home and will shoot better at home. I think they will defend better at home too. This is a huge game and a great chance for the Zags to show that they are for real. They ARE NOT PRETENDERS.

Zag@LMU
12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
For what its worth, I feel theres more energy and buzz around campus for this game than any other game in my time here. I personally expect the best performance of the last decade out of the students tomorrow.

bigblahla
12-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Whether we win or lose this Zag TEAM is no pretender.

K2 is a factor, so is the trip West but the real factor is the willpower and brotherhood of our team. They will win for each other.

Go!! Zags!!!

bartruff1
12-07-2012, 10:18 AM
THE Factor... there are very few teams that can travel half way across the country and beat Gonzaga in the Kennel... and as good as they appear to be, I do not think they are one of them...IMHO as always...I am of the opinion that this will be a eaiser game than WSU....

Zag@LMU
12-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Also reborn, those two teams that did beat us ended up at #2 seeds come march. Illinois is not 2 seed quality.

Reborn
12-07-2012, 10:21 AM
For what its worth, I feel theres more energy and buzz around campus for this game than any other game in my time here. I personally expect the best performance of the last decade out of the students tomorrow.

Wow! That's great to hear. Thanks. I know there is nothing like being in K2 when the students are on fire. I have seen it. Personally, I think the students can make a difference, and a big one. I am really hoping that Gonzaga will go undefeated at home this year. I think that The Kennel II is one of the top five hardest places for opposing teams to play in. Let's prove that tomorrow.

Reborn
12-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Also reborn, those two teams that did beat us ended up at #2 seeds come march. Illinois is not 2 seed quality.

Help me out okay? Why do you feel that Illinois is NOT capable of being a number 2 seed? I think there fans think that they do have that potential. A senior led team who can really shoot with a great coach. From what I see the fans writing he is the greatest thing that could have happened there to bring back the fighting Illini spirit.

rennis
12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Huge factor. Always is in the big games.

Reborn
12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Whether we win or lose this Zag TEAM is no pretender.

K2 is a factor, so is the trip West but the real factor is the willpower and brotherhood of our team. They will win for each other.

Go!! Zags!!!

Love your enthusiasm for the Zags, bigblahla. You know I have the same spirit. However, I do disagree with you that a loss would hurt the Zags. Not only in the eyes of the pundits and public but in their own hearts. This is the kind of game where you lay it all on the line and do what you must do to win.

I think that Illinois will be even more "fired up" by being called a PRETENDER by an espn joournalist. Illinois, in my opinion, is coming into Spokane to beat Gonzaga and the Zags had better be ready. They can not afford to get off to a slow start the way they did against WSU. The Zags need to keep that fire in K2 burning RED HOT and the only way they can do that is to jump on Illinois out of the gate. I hope EDI is ready to play and NOT take the first couple of shots. We do not want to give the Illini the chance to quiet the crowd. It's up to the Zags to inspire our fans with great plays.

jim77
12-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Remember the last GU-Udub game volume???

Zag365
12-07-2012, 11:08 AM
The home crowd will give us an energy boost for defending/rebounding and the home court will help our shooters' confidence, esp. KP, giving us a couple more makes than misses on outside shots; but, what could be a major factor is the common phenomena of the home team getting a few more fouls called in their favor. If we play smart, we might get one of the IL starters in foul trouble. We need to take advantage if we get that opportunity. Also, when we get FTs, we've got to hit close to 75% in a game like this because chances are they will make the difference in total score.

siliconzag
12-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I believe it will help the Zags but not hurt the Illini. Good teams can silence noisy crowds. Examples have already been sited by Reborn: Michigan State and SDSU. My personal worry revolves more around whether the confidence of Gonzaga's guards has been shaken. They cannot play tentatively. They can't over pass, and turn it over or be intimidated by the Illini's taller guards. I agree with everyone who says we need a dependable wing. Overplaying the guards as a defensive strategy will be obviated by a hot shooting wing. I agree with those who suggest KD get more playing time.

The crowd does have an influence on the game, sometimes on the officials (they have a subconsious need to be loved, I think). I wouldn't expect Agent Orange to be intimidated by a hostile arena, but I bet it is going to improve the Zags play. This Illini team, is in my opinion, way overperforming their talent at this point. That is not something I would say about the Zags, incidentally.

Sili

RenoZag
12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Remember the last GU-Udub game volume???

:pray:

That would be awesome.

mgadfly
12-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Yes. There were some great articles and books on the general subject last year (and I'm sure before that, but I noticed them then).

For example:
http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/12/18/football-freakonomics-how-advantageous-is-home-field-advantage-and-why/

One of the most compelling (and cleverest) arguments in favor of this theory comes from a research paper by Thomas Dohmen about home-field advantage in Germany’s Bundesliga, the country’s top soccer league.

Dohmen found that home-field advantage was smaller in stadiums that happened to have a running track surrounding the soccer pitch, and larger in stadiums without a track.

Why?

Apparently, when the crowd sits closer to the field, the officials are more susceptible to getting caught up in the home-crowd emotion. Or, as Dohmen puts it:

The social atmosphere in the stadium leads referees into favoritism although being impartial is optimal for them to maximize their re-appointment probability.

So it looks like crowd support does matter – but not in the way you might have thought. Keep this in mind next time you’re shouting your brains out at a football game. Just make sure you know who you’re supposed to be shouting at.

Zag79
12-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Huge factor. Always is in the big games.

This +1... Especially for a team that relies on the three ball, it can go cold in a hurry on the road. I'm curious to see if Few will allow Illinois to get looks and gauge if their hot, or if he decides to get out of his comfort zone and play more man. Either way, let's make the Kennel the craziest place the Illini have seen this year!

Baldwinzag
12-07-2012, 08:18 PM
this game feels bigger than all others...can you feel it?

i wonder if the players feel the same way we do.

HenneZag
12-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Two 9-0 teams ranked @ 10 and 13 respectively!

Illinois has had our number the last couple of times we have played them. last year they handled us, but I believe we made a push and cut it to 7 before it was all said and done.

This game to me is going to come down to guard play. If Pangos and Bell can hit big shots, and get the better of the big and athletic Illinois guards then I think we win the game, this to me will be similar to last year when Mich St made its way to the Kennel and ultimately got the W.

Our bigs will be a handful for Illinois, as they are for any team that faces us. Illinois does have bigs that can step out and hit the 3 and that are skilled.

Obviously getting Illinois in our house plays in our favor, but the Illini are used to the tough Big Ten enviornments, so hopefully the Kennel is rocking tomorrow night, I know I will do my part as I will be in attendance.

Im really hoping Pangos can find his stroke tommorrow night and get some confidence brewing, also GB needs to stop hesitating when he gets the open look....he's the X factor IMO.

GoGU
12-07-2012, 08:59 PM
This is the "scouting report" that I put together. I posted it in my residence hall. My hall-mates are ready to rock the Kennel. LMU is right, there is SO much excitement for this game among the students right now. And it will be a welcome break from studying for finals (which are next week).

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/08/7asaha2u.jpg

ZAG UP