PDA

View Full Version : 6 Man Rotation

Spink Rules
12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
What did everyone think of our Six-man-rotation last night in the second half? K.O. and E played great the whole game but in mind Hart was the MVP! Key offensive boards on his part is what led to K.O.'s 3 in the final 30 seconds. Not taking anything away from Sam, Kyle, Guy and Shem, but I think the coaches did a good job at halftime figuring out what formula we needed to win that game, and it worked. It just goes to show that our 5th man off the bench (Hart) can also start for us, we are deep!!!! Hopefully that depth can take us deep in the tourney this year.

Zag@LMU
12-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Our guys are going to run out of legs within the next week if we keep a 6 man rotation.

Birddog
12-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Last year when Hart started, half or more of this board had a catatonic fit. Most of the criticism and somewhat justified was that he was no threat offensively. A number of fans were not able to put his defensive abilities, his hustle plays etc into their evaluation. I'm sure you could do a search and find several threads about it.

BTB
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Last year when Hart started, half or more of this board had a catatonic fit. Most of the criticism and somewhat justified was that he was no threat offensively. A number of fans were not able to put his defensive abilities, his hustle plays etc into their evaluation. I'm sure you could do a search and find several threads about it.

This years team doesn't need any more offense though, last year our offense was not nearly this good. And he is much more confident and better on O than he was last year

SteelZag
12-06-2012, 06:12 PM

I would like to see Hart keep coming off the bench just to make sure he is there when we need him. Too many more minutes last night and he would have probably fouled out and wouldn't have been around to provide the hustle plays which helped win the game. His spark off the bench is what will carry this team forward.

Oregonzagnut
12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Our guys are going to run out of legs within the next week if we keep a 6 man rotation.

At least we know Dower, Karno and Draino will have legs on Saturday if needed. But WSU seems to have thrown at us exactly what Illinois fans think they need to do to beat us. 40 minutes of hustle, hot perimeter shooting and rattle us enough to cause TO's and disrupt every shot.

At face value I don't understand a 6 man rotation. If we have all this supposed depth, how can we not use it to our advantage? I can see how a smaller faster game would confuse or frustrate Karno and Dower, but they should be able to post up and score at will if we slow the tempo down and work the ball inside. We failed at setting up what should be staple ball screens and other than Harris's quick step, we had no consistent post presence. We didn't utilize our nationally renowned front court.

Can anyone explain why Karno gets 3 minutes without simply saying "Trust Few to know that Karno was too slow"

btzag
12-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I would like to see Hart keep coming off the bench just to make sure he is there when we need him. Too many more minutes last night and he would have probably fouled out and wouldn't have been around to provide the hustle plays which helped win the game. His spark off the bench is what will carry this team forward.

Hart should definitely come off the bench and even behind Dranginis in the rotation as he has done all year. Look the game last night fit Hart perfectly and he played like crazy but that was situational bball by Few and not a formula for long-term success for the Zags.

If we want to go anywhere, even win the WCC, Edi, Drang, Dower, Karnowski and especially Pangos need to play much, much better. Few needed someone to step up, play tough and hard, and fight on any play and Hart was there for him and GU. But please let's all calm down and drop the idea of Hart starting.

fedwayzag
12-06-2012, 07:49 PM
sometimes I do not get the board. They are mad we Few takes out the hot hand. Now some are mad he only played six guys in the second half. Kelly and Elias were on fire. The TV timeouts, coached timeouts to stop a run and Diigoro hurting his ankle (about a 3 minute delay) allowed rest for Kelly and Elias. If they do not play every minute in the second half last night I think we lose.

I thought it was one of the best coached games Few has ever had.

zagballer6
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Can anyone explain why Karno gets 3 minutes without simply saying "Trust Few to know that Karno was too slow"

There are only so any minutes to go around. Harris and Olynyk were by far the best Zags last night, where are you going to play Karno and Dower?

Oregonzagnut
12-06-2012, 08:30 PM
There are only so any minutes to go around. Harris and Olynyk were by far the best Zags last night, where are you going to play Karno and Dower?

Oly did it all in the 2nd half. We lost the first half and IMO Karno should have been allowed to get 6-7 minutes and 4-5 offensive sets to see if he could score in the paint. We didn't post up at all and we let WSU dictate the tempo and style of game. Karno got burned on D and Few pulled him too soon IMO. Just saying it seems that we could have tried to get a decent post game going to allow our perimeter some room. WSU was allowed to spread their zone way out all game because we weren't even attacking down low at all.

IMO it isn't about minutes because the rotations we have had previously spread the minutes a little more evenly and rested guys and allowed us to find the hot hand. Gotta give WSU credit because they capitalized on every mistake we made and they hit big shots at pivotal moments. But I think we didn't give Karno enough time to find a rhythm or anything.

Dower was ill so he wasn't in this same onversation for me.

SteelZag
12-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Before the season started everyone was wanting EH to log some minutes at the 3. Now, with trying to get Harris, Kelly and the other bigs some minutes the talk seems to have disappeared. I think that experiment should have been tried during all the 30 point blowouts. Probably not time to start against Illinois, but what would be the worst thing that could happen by starting Harris at the 3? Be down 10 after the first five minutes!

Vanzagger
12-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Fewgiac's rotation is amazing. Don't change a thing.

ZagaZags
12-06-2012, 10:15 PM

Few can rest players vs Campbell on Dec. 19

zagfan1970
12-07-2012, 08:28 AM
The sermon the preacher has been giving all year is that WE WEAR TEAMS DOWN by running waves of our depth at them. Sam has the flu and with a national ESPN TV game there were some extra breaks, but the main reason WSU made a furious comeback was our guys were tired!!! They were late closing out on 3's and late helping on D in the paint and switches. Lacy blew right past GBJ and the help was no even close. It reminded me of the BIS vs. UConn when Jeremy Pargo was completely gassed and kind of fell apart at the end. So when Few HAD to use his bench they weren't ready at all. YES, we won a very exciting game in a hostile (kind of, lots of ZAG fans) environment, but it should NOT have been this close. THe 11 point lead would have most likely grown with sub substitutions like GLE Karno or Drangs to atleast give some rest to KO Hart and EH. We may not have had the fire power on offense but would have made up for that by not giving up points on D.