PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Illinois..predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
12-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Well, Im feeling like turning my thoughts to the game Saturday against Illinois. I'm going to get it started a day early because it's such a huge game. I am going to try to take my rose colored glasses off for this one. I know Im not going to go for another twenty point victory again. I think it's going to be another nail biter like last night's game.

Gonzaga 75
Illinois 72

It will be another great game like last night's was. This game features two ranked teams that are undefeated on national television. This one is huge. It will be the sort of game that Michigan St and San Diego St games were. I'm hoping that this year's Zags will be able to pull out a victory. So far this year the Zags have overcome every test, and Saturday's game will be the biggest test so far this year.

I think the Zags are better prepared for the kind of game that the Illinois game will be. I felt that the Michigan St and San Diego St games were played too early in the season. They were like our second game of the year I think. Our game against the Cougars will definitely help prepare us for Illinois on Saturday I think. The Illini have great outside shooting too, and most likely we will need to be prepared for them to make 10 three-point shots the way the Cougars did. They also have a 6' 9" inch player who is deadly from beyong the three point line. And they are also very good from the foul line.

Foul shooting could be the difference in this game. Gonzaga can not continue to be careless at the foul line. This tendency must stop now. We can not have Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell missing FT's at the end of the game.

rennis
12-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Hard not to go into this game with the "grain of salt" viewpoint after the hard fought win and shooting struggles for some against WSU, but I still believe the home court advantage is huge for the Zags, and especially our shooters. There's no place like home. I expect more big games from TKO and Elias.

Kennel Club! Bring it!!!!!

Zags 82
Illinois 71

rennis
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
"TKO" as patented by bigblahla

titopoet
12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
How times have changed. Going on the Illini board, they are banking on their 3 point shooting and hoping their bigs can hold up against GU superior bigs. They are even saying they need to zone GU. A Big 10 banking on their guards and acknowledging how much better the bigs of GU are?

I think the GU guards take up the challenge and dominate. GU shuts down the 3 and wins. The usual slow start, but a mid first half run leaves Illinois staggering. Bell and Pangos go off from the three line and the Zags actually hit more 3s in the game. The Gu Bigs also dominate. The post game talk will be how Illinois quick start had been a mirage and not how good GU is.

Zags. 89 - Illini 67

sheps001
12-06-2012, 11:50 AM
This one scares me big time since I follow the Illini. They are a better version of WSU and that's not good. They can and do shoot the three well which almost sunk us late in the WSU game. The one saving grace is that they do not play at altitude and will be a bit gassed at the end. I look for their three's to be off a bit late. Therefore my prediction is as follows.

GU-81
IL-79

tobizag
12-06-2012, 12:00 PM
per seth davis hoop thoughts on si

Illinois leads the country in made threes per game (10.8) and is 21st in three-point percentage (40.6)

FlyZag
12-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Zags struggle early... give up some easy threes all game long.. But our front court DOMINATES. win by 10-12.

Zagalicious - 80
Chief Illiniwek - 68

ZagLawGrad
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
per seth davis hoop thoughts on si

Illini better hope they hit the 3's to avoid a blowout.

Zags by about 20.

Full Disclosure: I picked Zags over Cougs by about 25 :eek:

LongIslandZagFan
12-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Ill eye in eye - 147
Zags - 40

IlliniByProxy
12-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Ill eye in eye - 147
Zags - 40

HMM guess I could "settle" for a 107 point win over a top 10 team lol!

GoGU
12-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I think the game will be close, but home court advantage will be huge.

#ZagUp - 78
#JoeTales - 74

GSHSoldier
12-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Zags struggle early... give up some easy threes all game long.. But our front court DOMINATES. win by 10-12.

Zagalicious - 80
Chief Illiniwek - 68

Fergie, is that you?

Illini 85
Zaga 82

Zag@LMU
12-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Barn burner

Gu 87
Il 79

NotoriousZ
12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Zags actually come out strong, 15-2 after five minutes. Then things calm down, Illini hit some threes, and it's a ten point lead at halftime. Zags roll from there...Shem big in the second half.

Gonzaga 93
Illinios 65

007Zag
12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I think we lead by 5-9 points from about 8 minutes in on, and then pull out comfortably midway through the second half, winning by 13 to 17.

GU 85
Illinois 71

pbriz
12-06-2012, 01:43 PM
America's Team: 75
Native America's Team: 68

Ezag
12-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Zags 72
Ill 59

bostonzagfan
12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
home game is big for GU as that is where Kevin plays well.

Should win by around 6.

SwainZag
12-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Illini keep it relatively close til half when the bigs take over.

Zags - 86
Illili - 71

Reborn
12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
My hope is that the long flight to Spokane, and the difference in Time Zones will make a big difference. Most teams that have come into K2 from back East have not played well in K2. The one exception was Michigan St, and actually it was only one guy who destroyed us. Illinois has a player who could do that to the Zags, yes it's Brandon Paul. He could go off for 30+ if we are not prepared. Just as I have believed in the Zags every step so far, I believe they will be ready to defend Mr. Paul.

What bothers me is that Gary may be ill, or have a strained muscle. We certainly cannot put Pangos or Stockton on him. Edi has not been playing well on D so far....will it be Mr Mike Hart. Mr Zag? He loves to shoot the 3 and Hart is 6'6, whereas I believe Paul is 6'4". If Edi comes to be a real player Saturday I am much more confident in our ability to stop Paul.

I read Tyler Griffey is not a real good defender, and he will be guarding Elis Harris. This is a huge advantage for Gonzaga. Can Elias go off for 30? If Elias gets Griffey in foul trouble that would be huge because he is a dead eye 3 pt shooter like Motum was.

Let's Go Zags!!!

ZagaZags
12-06-2012, 10:26 PM
10-0

Nuff said.

sheps001
12-07-2012, 02:22 AM
My hope is that the long flight to Spokane, and the difference in Time Zones will make a big difference. Most teams that have come into K2 from back East have not played well in K2. The one exception was Michigan St, and actually it was only one guy who destroyed us. Illinois has a player who could do that to the Zags, yes it's Brandon Paul. He could go off for 30+ if we are not prepared. Just as I have believed in the Zags every step so far, I believe they will be ready to defend Mr. Paul.

What bothers me is that Gary may be ill, or have a strained muscle. We certainly cannot put Pangos or Stockton on him. Edi has not been playing well on D so far....will it be Mr Mike Hart. Mr Zag? He loves to shoot the 3 and Hart is 6'6, whereas I believe Paul is 6'4". If Edi comes to be a real player Saturday I am much more confident in our ability to stop Paul.

I read Tyler Griffey is not a real good defender, and he will be guarding Elis Harris. This is a huge advantage for Gonzaga. Can Elias go off for 30? If Elias gets Griffey in foul trouble that would be huge because he is a dead eye 3 pt shooter like Motum was.

Let's Go Zags!!!
Good analysis. I would add that they will be playing at altitude which will gas them a bit at the end and cause their shots to be slightly off. At that, the Illini are a good team, a lot better than WSU. I saw the game in Urbana last year and it hurt. They really come on strong., Hope this is a win for us and lets not have our usual slow start. We also need to finish strong as they certainly will try to do this.

Birddog
12-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Good analysis. I would add that they will be playing at altitude which will gas them a bit at the end and cause their shots to be slightly off

WHAT? Illini U is at roughly 750', GU is at roughly 2300'. I don't think anybody has perceived 2300' to be high altitude. They won't even notice. Conditioned athletes start to notice the effects of altitude at around 3500' to 4000' and a good night's sleep before the contest should suffice at those higher elevations. It is noticeable for sure in a place like Laramie at 7100'. Albuquerque and Denver are a "mile high" and the effects are felt there as well. Provo and SLC at around 4500' will also get you gassed. In Spokaloo you can compensate for the the "altitude" with a healthy fart to equalize pressure.

bigblahla
12-07-2012, 04:53 AM
First, re-posting the link to the active pre-game thread on the Illini board.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=18992

At this point I don't care about score or how we do it, just win.

Go!! Zags!!!

Bogozags
12-07-2012, 05:43 AM

Let's Go Zags!!!

Agree!

A win for GU goes through the post and EH, SD and KO are all 4 year players and it is difficult to beat that type of experience...

Think EH will once again be the "MAN" in this game...IMO

Zag4Hire
12-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Having a tough time to this one. One part of me says the Illini win and this is where 3PT defense and FTs come back to haunt GU. The other half is K2 will be going nuts and there is a decisive advantage in several areas (post play, offensive tempo, etc.). I am really going to be keeping track of each possession in this game. For the Wazzu game, I was like, "Oh wasted opportunity. Oh well.". Although when it was crunch time, all I kept thinking was, "This should have been easily put away." I don't know. I am just going to roll it out there and it goes against my original statement the Illini would be the only OOC loss.

Catholics 81
Seculars 72

IlliniByProxy
12-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Having a tough time to this one. One part of me says the Illini win and this is where 3PT defense and FTs come back to haunt GU. The other half is K2 will be going nuts and there is a decisive advantage in several areas (post play, offensive tempo, etc.). I am really going to be keeping track of each possession in this game. For the Wazzu game, I was like, "Oh wasted opportunity. Oh well.". Although when it was crunch time, all I kept thinking was, "This should have been easily put away." I don't know. I am just going to roll it out there and it goes against my original statement the Illini would be the only OOC loss.

Catholics 81
Seculars 72

I agree with you on all things except the offensive tempo. The Illini like to play at a fast pace much like GU. After watching the WSU game I actually think Gonzagas gaurd play would be better served to slow down play and allow your bigs to grind it out in the post. In both games the Illini struggled the opposing defense slowed our pace and kept us out of rythm.

rennis
12-07-2012, 07:08 AM
GU tried the grind it down approach a bit last year and it failed against Illinois. (I think that was the end of the "run the offense through Sacre" era that lasted about 6 weeks.)

I don't think our team is capable of playing slow, to be honest. They're gonna try to fast break and get transition looks. Maybe they'll drain a little time off the clock in their half court sets if the score stays tight, but that's about it.

Gonna be a fast one.

IlliniByProxy
12-07-2012, 07:17 AM
While most of the stats stack up in GU's favor I did find one little nugget in the Illini's favor. GU is 318th in the country in percentage of opponents points from 3 pointers.

FlyZag
12-07-2012, 07:23 AM
While most of the stats stack up in GU's favor I did find one little nugget in the Illini's favor. GU is 318th in the country in percentage of opponents points from 3 pointers.

If you were an opposing team and had to game plan against the Zags... do you think your first option would be to go inside against 2 7'ers? Or chuck it from deep against shorter 6' and 6'1" guards?

tobizag
12-07-2012, 07:27 AM

it's disturbing how quickly fans of our opponents can hit at my biggest fear. it's that obvious.

Zag4Hire
12-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Welcome IbP. Yeah I just think that is the kind of game GU would want and would have an advantage and that is the kind of play that gets crowd pumped. As I stated earlier, the 3pt defense is a glaring weakness that needs to be shored up and unfortunately the three ball is the Illini's bread and butter.

CarolinaZagFan
12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Huge game for the Zags and I can't wait! Zags pull out a close one 78-73

IlliniByProxy
12-07-2012, 08:31 AM
I like to think I am a pretty realistic Illini fan. I love my team but not to the point that it gets in the way of me seeing our teams weaknesses. This game is going to be an uphill battle for the Illini. You guys have a great team, definitely more well rounded than ours. You will have the home court advantage. We will be traveling cross country. The odds are heavily stacked against the Illini. Obviously I hope we come out of the kennel with a win. Realistically, I think GU wins by 10-12 (if you hit your FT's!) with the game being closer than the score indicates because of fouling and FT's at the end of the game.

I've seen a few posts on how our guards are going to be exposed and dominated. Sorry I really don't buy that. Your own coach admitted after the game last year that guys like Pangos, Stockton, and Bell to a lesser extent, struggled with the size, quickness, and physicality of Paul and Richardson. Add in Joe Bertrand and a much improved Tracy Abrams and I have difficulty seeing a situation were our back court gets abused and dominated. You'll get your looks from the 3 pt line but more likely that will be because of the defensive focus we'll have to have in the post. Look for the Illini to employ a 2-3 zone at times and for the man defense to play a "pack" defense to help clog up the lane.

The major caveat I will throw out there, if the Illini get hot look out. This team feeds off of each other and can score in bunches quickly. It can be a tight game, then the next thing you know 4 different players have drained a 3 in a matter of minutes. The problem is we haven't done that consistently since the Maui tournament. IF and it's a big IF the Illini can find there Maui magic I think they can play with anyone in the country.

Here's to a great game and hopefully a renewed contract after this year!

Reborn
12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Im feeling better today. I think the Zags can score 82 points at home in K2.
Illinois averages about 78 and half points per game, but they are on the road. Gonzaga 82...Illinois 72.

rockzag
12-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I know marijuana is legal now and Yakima has a good supply, but put down the pipe and don't add 10 point wins to a pick em game. You were closer on your 1st post. Zags75 - Ill 72.

Kiddwell
12-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Refuse to believe our guys can't drain treys two games in a row, particularly when this game's in the Kennel. Plus, we can throw all sorts of looks and combinations at an opposing team. How's their new coach at adjusting to that? In the hostile Kennel? Here's to a vote of healthy optimism.

Zags are sick - 87
Illini are ill - 69

:]

<"sick": crazy, cool, and insanely good> :cool:

Baldwinzag
12-07-2012, 08:00 PM
if illinois makes double-digit three's(which they've done in every game)...we get beat handedly. if not, we win by 7-12 pts. book it.

bigblahla
12-07-2012, 08:57 PM
if illinois makes double-digit three's(which they've done in every game)...we get beat handedly. if not, we win by 7-12 pts. book it.

Not picking on you Baldwin but........so they get 12 3's and we hold them to 32 pts everywhere else that's 68pts. Their schedule says rat in the woodpile.

To quote B.Springfield "Paranoia strikes deep into your heart it will creep"

We have a better offense, a better defense and rebound better, we will control the flow of the game regardless as to whether they make or miss their 3 point shots.

C'mon people have some faith in our team. WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME!

Not just my opinion but the opinion of most of the country.

Go!! Zags!!!

Zag@LMU
12-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Not picking on you Baldwin but........so they get 12 3's and we hold them to 32 pts everywhere else that's 68pts. Their schedule says rat in the woodpile.

To quote B.Springfield "Paranoia strikes deep into your heart it will creep"

We have a better offense, a better defense and rebound better, we will control the flow of the game regardless as to whether they make or miss their 3 point shots.

C'mon people have some faith in our team. WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME!

Not just my opinion but the opinion of most of the country.

Go!! Zags!!!
Agreed, considering that Illinois chucks threes like crazy I think we can give up double digit threes and still win. It all come down to how many shots it takes them to make those threes.

GeorgiaZagFan
12-07-2012, 11:31 PM
...the Zags continue their struggles with slow starts.

They ONLY led a bad Oklahoma team by 3 nearing halftime and trailed in the first half against:

Clemson by 6
Davidson by 9
Pacific by 8
WSU by 8

those were all much weaker opponents than Illinois. It will be much more difficult to climb out of a hole against them ...but if we are close early on or have the lead ...I can see the Zags blowing them out because of depth and home crowd. Looking at box scores it appears Illinois barely goes beyond 7 players in meaningful minutes played. Already getting pumped for this one ... :)

ZagsGoZags
12-07-2012, 11:49 PM
zags lose by 2 points if the sedated fans on the other side of the kennel club stay 'cool' and not participatory

zags win by 3 if the old timers opposite the kennel club show 1/10 of the energy they expect the players to expend and become part of the game rather than calm observers of it

bigblahla
12-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Posted on the Illini board by one of their fans.

"In five games in the McCarthy Center this season, their own players are 40-95 from three-point range, .421, in that building."

Illinois isn't the only team in K2 tonight that can shoot the 3.

We may make more 3's than they do.

Have faith Zaggies, buy in, nothing but positive thoughts.

Go!! Zags!!!

DixieZag
12-08-2012, 05:18 AM
I think we are just too deep.

In an otherwise evenly matched game - we just keep the defensive pressure up enough by keeping fresh bodies in the game that Illinois shooting percentage starts to drop and dead legs don't get to as many rebounds. What was a neck and neck game gets some breathing room around the 8 minute mark and Zags take it to 10 - sending the house into a frenzy.

Then hang on. . . and we just have enough.

montanazag88
12-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Illinois not only can score in bunches they are a physical group in terms of rebounding and defense. Zags have to meet or beat that level of toughness or this game is toast.

HenneZag
12-08-2012, 06:16 AM
What we can't do is start sluggish vs Illinois...we have started just about every game this season very slow, seems like it takes us 10 min to get in the flow of things. If we do this against Illinois we may not get back in the game.

Hopefully we come out in attack mode from tip off and keep the intensity for 40 mins, we will need too!

Remember Illinois beat a very athletic USC team by 30 this year
and beat a very skilled Butler team by 17

also had some sketchy squeek by wins over inferior competition...who will we see tonight!

Im already both nervous and fired up for this one!

bigblahla
12-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Illinois will be searching for points and rebounds and they have to meet our level of toughness. These are not two evenly matched teams although the records are the same. They do not rebound well their guards lead the way. We should absolutely kill them on the boards.

I've watched the replay of every Illini game I could find on the net and they haven't faced a TEAM close to our Zags. At the time they played the USC team was a disjointed offensively challenged team and still is, Butler is not the Butler of old pretty much a one trick pony and Clarke is no point guard. He also palms the ball on every possession.

They have no one like TKO, E, Sudden Sam or PK.

We shoot 42% from 3 in our house and over 50% from the floor.

Illinois is a composite of Oklahoma, Pacific, with a little Davidson thrown in. They are good but not scary good, we play our game like we do at home and we are 10-0.

Go!! Zags!!!

MBAGael
12-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Tonight should be a game for the ages. I have the Zags winning by a few with the homecourt advantage being a major factor. I'll be rooting for you and the other WCC teams in a big way tonight.

Good luck from Moraga!!!

willandi
12-08-2012, 08:13 AM
is the Illini to come out hot and get 5 of their 12 made 3's in the first 5 minutes. The Zags will weather that storm and slowly battle back. For the game, the Illini will make 12 of 30 3's (40%), add another 10 of 20 on drives (50%), and 8 of 16 around the basket (50%) on put backs, feeds etc, ending with around 72 points.
The Zags will feed the bigs, and inside out the ball. Harris is our poorest shooting big at 56+%, the other three are 65+% or better. The Illini can't afford to trade baskets with our bigs at a 1.7 to 1 ratio of made baskets. They have to defend the paint, and will lose that battle, and their big defenders, through fouls. Drawing in the guards will only make their position more untenable. Don't forget that as bad as KP shot at WSU before his Meechesque drive to win, as a team we still shot 40+% from 3.
The Zags will score in the low to mid 80 point range and win by 12-15 points. The Illini will attempt a barrage of 3's to come back, but will have used almost 1/2 in their opening salvo, and they just won't be as open, as set and the shots won't be falling.
Zags 84
Illini 72
:cheers:

zagfan1970
12-08-2012, 08:49 AM
is the Illini to come out hot and get 5 of their 12 made 3's in the first 5 minutes. The Zags will weather that storm and slowly battle back. For the game, the Illini will make 12 of 30 3's (40%), add another 10 of 20 on drives (50%), and 8 of 16 around the basket (50%) on put backs, feeds etc, ending with around 72 points.

that would be impressive if the zags keep Illinois from making a single FT :D

Baldwinzag
12-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Shoot when you're hot': 79

'Shoot to get hot': 71

Illinois makes 13 3's, Zags out-rebound Illinois by 13, still not enough as our guards are swallowed up the entire game by their athleticism & strength. Simply trading 2pt for 3pt shots over 40 mins doesn't add up(for Gonz). Illinois up 11 at half, we go back 'n forth in 2nd half, better effort, and lose by single digits. Illini with the frustrating upset on the road.

willandi
12-08-2012, 09:09 AM
that would be impressive if the zags keep Illinois from making a single FT :D

Didn't include any FT's. We have shot at 80% and at 60% so should balance!

siliconzag
12-08-2012, 09:11 AM
could be right. Nevertheless having a mediocre perimeter defense does not guarantee an Illini victory. There is always the chance that they don't make a high % of shots. Then there is also the possibiity that the Zags will make a lot of three pointers. Double figures in three point baskets becomes a factor only when there is a big delta factor, meaning, they make a lot of threes and we don't. I suspect we will make enough, and they won't make that many more and we sneak by on the home court.

Has anyone else wondered if UCLA would have won so many National Titles or so many consecutive games if they had the three point rule in Wooden's Day? It has changed the game, completely.

We have not had a good record against Agent Orange, but OTH, Weber was their coach, not Groce. This game is going to be determined by FG%, turnovers, and as some others have noted, FT%. If you believe in the power of prayer, there is still enough time to say a few quick ones.

Sili

Reborn
12-08-2012, 12:36 PM
I know the Zags are ready. They know what this game is all about. I am also ready and believe Gonzaga is better than Illinois. It's going to be a very good game. Kennel II will be sizzling. Students will be taunting and cheering, and will make noise that will reach far away into the heavenlies. Yes. A Nation watches tonight to see how good the Zags are. How good are they?Tonigh's game will give us some insight into that.

Go Zags!!!

Zag@LMU
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I think a lot of people are forgetting our potent three point shooters. It's not like we're going to just shoot lay ins all day. If we keep within five made 3s of Illinois then we will roll.

gamagin
12-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I like to think I am a pretty realistic Illini fan. I love my team but not to the point that it gets in the way of me seeing our teams weaknesses. This game is going to be an uphill battle for the Illini. You guys have a great team, definitely more well rounded than ours. ............................
Here's to a great game and hopefully a renewed contract after this year!

Thanks. Excellent report. best wishes for the rest of the year.

SteelZag
12-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Other than their trip to Hawaii, Illinois has not left Champaign. The Kennel will be difficult. In their OT win against Hawaii they shot slightly below their season average. Hawaii had 8 more TO and shot 54.8% from the charity stripe.

They did out rebound Illinois by sixteen.

This game is right in our wheelhouse.

Zags win this game 83-72!

RenoZag
12-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Zag bigs get in early foul trouble, struggle to get their rhythmn in the first half, enter the intermission down by four. Game thread melts down, dogs sleep with cats, Mayan end of the world starts early. . .

Zags rebound in the second stanza, Mike Hart buries threes, takes two charges, plays defense like he invented it. Harris shows why he's a Wooden Award nominee, and the Zags win by 6. . .Kelly Olynyk gets double digit points and blocks three shots. . .

74 - 68, ZAGS WIN.

ridgebackzag
12-08-2012, 03:56 PM
I don't think Illinois is going to lay down. They'll come out hot and full of energy, but well wear them down with our depth.

Zags 78
Illini 71

bballbeachbum
12-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Zag bigs get fouled a lot and make their FTs, own the glass and the D paint

backcourt battle royale, Hart and GLE along with the rest are key to shutting down their long slashers/shooters

the place is crazy crazy crazy and Illini doesn't fold but the energy lifts all Zags to great performance