PDA

View Full Version : Fran Fraschilla keeps saying the same thing: GBJ must assert himself

CDC84
12-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Twitter exchange last night:

Fran = Is it me or in a very balanced and unselfish Gonzaga team, Gary Bell, Jr. needs to assert himself more. Ultra-efficient.

Jordan = 10 points already. I'd say he's asserting himself just fine. This team can't grab a board right now, though.

Fran = Disagree. According to @kenpomeroy, there are four more assertive shot takers on the court than Garry Bell, Jr. for Zags

Fran Fraschilla keeps saying the same thing - even last night on twitter....Gary Bell Jr. needs to be more consistently assertive on offense.

I continue to agree with Fran.

Gary is the one guard on GU's team who can beat most defending guards off the dribble. For one thing, the other team's best defensive guard (and most powerful guard) is almost always going to be assigned to Pangos, so there is an advantage right there. Also, although he's an undersized off guard, GBJ is athletic and powerful, and now has a great floater to go along with his deadly jumper.

Very much like in the Clemson game, Pangos last night was taken out by a stronger, taller, more athletic guard. This is going to continue to happen at times. In situations like that, Bell has to bring it. He just has to. As great as the frontcourt was against WSU, GBJ should have put up 20+. He was on last night and continued to pass up a number of shots.

If he doesn't begin to more consistently assert himself, this team will not be as good as it can be. That would be a shame.

MDABE80
12-06-2012, 09:46 AM
I agree completely. Kevin lags at time but Gary rarely does. Does all things very well.

rennis
12-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Gary looked a step off to me in the 2nd half, especially on defense, as D. Lacy had his way down the stretch, both from deep and off the dribble.

I think GBJ is more banged-up than he appears.

DADoZAG
12-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Absolutely, Fran is right. Again, the only thing holding GB back, is GB.

If I was to run into GB on the street, I would thank him for choosing the ZAGS, and then I would start chanting, "no one can stop me, no one can stop me, no one can stop me."

The same would be for KD. Just play, have fun, and let the chips fall. Because no one can stop you, no one can stop you... but you.

Great 2nd half by KO, Great game by WSU. Now, don't let up...

Go ZAGS!

WHERE IS MAYNERD????

zag944
12-06-2012, 09:59 AM
It is very difficult be a top notch defender and high option offensive player. I dont know that we really need him to fill a Stephen Gray like role for this team, as many options as we have on offense. Id love to see him score 15 or 16 a game, but not at the cost of his efficency or his stellar defensive efforts. Those things are rare commodities on this team, while guys that can throw in 25 points on any given night are not.

bartruff1
12-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I love his game (but it looks like he is hurting right now)...certainly I am no expert but the last thing this team needs is for him to hunt shots... he takes the shots he should take...that is his character (?) and to ask him change would just throw him off....now, if he starts passing up shots/drives, that would be a different story. Let Gary be Gary...

Bogozags
12-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I believe Fran is correct. It seemed like GBJ disappeared in the second half. I believe he is the best athlete on the team BUT needs to become "selfish" and look to score and also the same could be said for KD.

Maybe it's because GBJ is just in his second year but I would think that Coach Few would have designed plays for GBJ, KP and KD coming off screens for an immediate shot much the same way Rotnie Clark does for Butler.

Just my opinion but Coach Few should add that to the offensive scheme.

gonstu
12-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I think it's only a matter of time before we see a 30 point performance by Mr Bell. I think he is becoming more assertive with his shot taking in the last couple games but agree there seem to be stretches where he "disappears" on the offensive end. I love his game though - and I'd be ok if he pulled out the 30-point performance this Saturday :)

cjm720
12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
He needs to drive to the hoop more. 6 (or so) free throws on the season is atrocious for a kid with his skill.

madness
12-06-2012, 10:16 AM
The other huge elephant in the room is his poor Free Throw shooting. (Even in a small sample size)...Both Pangos and Bell missed huge FTs in crunch time last night.

sittingon50
12-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I think rennis is onto it; GBJ is beat up & it shows. Hopefully he can hold his own vs Ilini; gets a week off 'til K St.

Reborn
12-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I disagree with the analysis of Bell's game last night by most posters here, and Fran F. Gary played a great game on offense last night, and he had 14 points. The team didn't need him to score more points in the second half. Gary scored 10 first half points becuse of the way that WSU was defending the Zags. The Cougs were doubling down low, and Elias especially was kicking it out to Gary and he was draining some three's. The Cougs changed their defensive scheme in the second half and stopped doubling down low, and Kelly took over the game scoring 22 second half points.

Rather than criticize Gary for not shooting more the second half, and trying to create for himself, why not give credit to him for allowing Kelly to have the game that he had. I remember on one play when Gary was driving to the basket like he often does, but rather than shoot a shot that he often takes he passed off to Kelly for an easy shot. And in short, that is what I love about this team. They are so unselfish. They all look for each other. I remember days when Elias would NEVER pass the ball like he does this year. Elias has become a great passer this year, and often I see him as a point power forward. He plays his position as few power forwards can play it. I give credit to Mark Few too for creating this kind of position for Elias.

I remember listening to an announcer a number of years ago, and he was saying that every great team needs that third scorer who can score in double figures. Gonzaga has that, and in fact they have four guys who can score in double figures. In the toughest games, like last night, you're most likely going to have 3. Pangos got 8 points which is close to double figures. Any one of those 4 guys can score 20 points and will at times during the season.

ZagLawGrad
12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
GJB many times looks like he is trying to give the ball to someone else instead of taking the open shot, or driving the lanes.

Zagsker
12-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I guess I am not seeing where he looks "beat up"...moving good on O, got beat a couple times on D but that happens...even to Mike Hart:eek:

JPtheBeasta
12-06-2012, 11:29 AM
He needs to drive to the hoop more. 6 (or so) free throws on the season is atrocious for a kid with his skill.

+1.

Drawing fouls is an under rated skill, and one that he should develop to take advantage of that big frame of his.

Zag@LMU
12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
I guess I am not seeing where he looks "beat up"...moving good on O, got beat a couple times on D but that happens...even to Mike Hart:eek:

I'm not questioning his effort, but he was consistently getting beat on D last night. Not just a couple of times.

rennis
12-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Watch the last 5 minutes of the game and pay attention to Gary's lower body. He's an excellent defender because he uses his feet, anticipates his opponents movements, and has excellent conditioning and strength. He did not look himself on defense on more than a couple occassions last night. No doubt at all that D Lacy is a talented scorer, but GBJ can and should play better defense than he was able to put on the floor down the stretch.

Bud Withers mentions it in his column today too, that he thinks Gary is still suffering from the torn stomach muscle for which Few sat him out of the LCState contest.

ZagNative
12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I guess I am not seeing where he looks "beat up"...moving good on O, got beat a couple times on D but that happens...even to Mike Hart:eek:Few talked about Gary being beat up in this Meehan story (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/nov/30/gonzaga-rolls-over-lewis-clark-state-104-57/) after the Lewis & Clark game, explaining why Gary didn't play:
“Gary is beat up and walking around like he’s 50 years old,” Few said. “I knew if I sat Elias that it would force me to play Przemek more, and Kelly still needs more minutes. With three games in four days (in Orlando), with Gary running through every screen and playing a lot of minutes, he has some muscle pulls in his stomach and we are trying to rest him.”

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-06-2012, 12:27 PM
While I'm comfortable with the way he hunts his perimeter shots, he needs to dribble penetrate more often. He's strong, can absorb contact, and can finish. We need that element because it tends to lead to more consistent scoring (i.e., no one goes 2-12 when they're getting to the rim consistently).

GUDan07
12-06-2012, 01:06 PM

This is exactly right. I was floored when I saw that he had only taken 4 free throws for the season when he went to the line in the second half last night. That right there tells the entire story. He should be going to the line at least 3 times a game if not more.

Vanzagger
12-06-2012, 02:48 PM
give him the ball and get the hell out of the way. We don't need 3 pgs on the floor together.

Cougs didn't have any.

NEC26
12-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I agree with Reborn on this. We have plenty of offensive firepower on this team I don't see the need for Gary to be forcing anything. He is doing a good job of probing the defense without forcing a turnover. The only thing I might like to see is a little more willingness to let the three ball fly at times. Not sure why some here are so intent on Gary being one of our top scorers.

Reborn
12-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Bud Withers mentions it in his column today too, that he thinks Gary is still suffering from the torn stomach muscle for which Few sat him out of the LCState contest.

I agree with this. Bell is a much better defender than he was last night.

Baldwinzag
12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
imo, Gary Bell was moving 10X better last night than he was vs Pacific...

SteelZag
12-06-2012, 05:57 PM
GJB many times looks like he is trying to give the ball to someone else instead of taking the open shot, or driving the lanes.

I would like to see GBJ attempt more shots, especially when Pangos is having an off night. Too many players are passing up open looks placing undue pressure upon Pangos, especially when he's shooting poorly. He may want to defer once in awhile as well.

gamagin
12-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Gary looked a step off to me in the 2nd half, especially on defense, as D. Lacy had his way down the stretch, both from deep and off the dribble.

I think GBJ is more banged-up than he appears.

Few mentioned GBj in an interview I heard this week. I can't remember where.

He said something to the effect that GBj has to learn to play through or with pain.

Few then added something like he needs to get used to playing through the discomfort because it's going to be like that for the rest of the season. The implication is everyone has "something" hurting by this time and that it's normal.

I remember the answer was in response to how tough the december schedule ahead might be on everybody.

So let's assume for the sake of this thread that GBj is playing hurt.

The extent to which he carries on, and the extent to which Few says to him and others that that is normal for this time of year at this level, it means he has to work his way through it with the knowledge that everyone else has aches and pains, too.

That's my take away after listening to Few and then reading this thread and tying the interview and this topic together.

It's a standard (unwritten) team rule that if you are really hurt, you don't play. Otherwise there are no excuses. If you lace up, you play full bore.

IF that is the case, GBj seems to be alternating between discomfort and playing as I watch him.

He has a tendency to disengage from the flow of a particular play on occasion and just camp out (usually in a corner) & wait for the ball in order to take a shot.

He's not the only one but given the expectations, it shows.