PDA

View Full Version : Officiating blunders

Zagsker
12-06-2012, 07:58 AM
The officiating was "meh" last night...not overly bad but not crisp by any stretch...two calls in particular had me verbally abusing my tv.

1) The phantom illegal screen on Harris in the 2nd half...right wing, Harris goes over to deliver a pseudo pick and roll, just to give (I think it was Pangos) some space to get the ball to the top of perimeter...ref calls Harris for illegal screen. Harris barely even touched the guy and was already into the roll when contact occured...dumb call.

2) The "wait 5 seconds and then call a traveling" call. I cannot remember if this was 1st or 2nd half...but Olynk gets the ball, is modded in the middle of the key..goes to dribble out of it, gets out of it...starts going to the top of the key to pass it off and then the whistle comes...ref comes in waving his hands and pointing back to the spot where the mod was and stated Kelly traveled. Now, Olynk may have very well traveled at that spot but you cannot wait 5 seconds to process what you think you may have seen and then go "you know what, I am going to call it"

FlyZag
12-06-2012, 08:20 AM
There were bad calls both ways...

I thought the T on Motum was a bit of a stretch. He didn't "throw" the ball at Olynyk. Maybe he said something, I don't know.. But I was sure happy it was called.

Olynyk also should have been called for an Offensive foul where the defender was set and Olynyk bulled him over when he made the floater. Commentators thought so too.

It all evens out in the end.

ZagLawGrad
12-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Calls were not good.

Having said that, however, the Zags should never have allowed that game to get to the point where they give up an 11 point lead to 4-3's at the end. Refs had nothing to do with those.

omahazag
12-06-2012, 08:44 AM
There were bad calls both ways...

I thought the T on Motum was a bit of a stretch. He didn't "throw" the ball at Olynyk. Maybe he said something, I don't know.. But I was sure happy it was called.

Olynyk also should have been called for an Offensive foul where the defender was set and Olynyk bulled him over when he made the floater. Commentators thought so too.

It all evens out in the end.

Agree it all evens out in the end and bad calls went both ways, but the T on Motum was more than justified. Easy call IMHO.

bartruff1
12-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Since I began in organized sports at about 9, my dad would never ever let me whine about the officials.

For a variety of reasons, I think that College Basketball is one of the most difficult games to officiate . I suspect there is a violation on every play.

IMHO, they do their best to be fair and consistant and being human, they make mistakes.

It is painful, when there is a obvious bad call or no call at the end of the game that decides the game.. Life is not fair..try not to be in a position where that can happen to you.

I don't recall Few ever complaining about the refs...he will say something like " it was a tough call "...." it could have gone either way ".

I really respect players like Kevin and Hart and the others who simply play though the bad calls and focus on the next play.

Zagsker
12-06-2012, 09:47 AM
I just like pointing out wierd/bad calls...and since I am not playing and my thoughts/opinions/angst with officials have no effect on how the team played/plays, than I will stomp my foot and throw obscenities at my TV...it is what it is

johno
12-06-2012, 09:55 AM
There were several calls on the Zags that I don't remember seeing yet this year. Traveling calls on rebounders and the illegal screen.

webspinnre
12-06-2012, 10:57 AM

This was my thought as well. I mean, I guess they called it because they wanted to prevent anything from betting bad, but sure didn't look like a throw to me.

Robzagnut
12-06-2012, 11:07 AM
The officiating was "meh" last night...not overly bad but not crisp by any stretch...two calls in particular had me verbally abusing my tv.

1) The phantom illegal screen on Harris in the 2nd half...right wing, Harris goes over to deliver a pseudo pick and roll, just to give (I think it was Pangos) some space to get the ball to the top of perimeter...ref calls Harris for illegal screen. Harris barely even touched the guy and was already into the roll when contact occured...dumb call.

2) The "wait 5 seconds and then call a traveling" call. I cannot remember if this was 1st or 2nd half...but Olynk gets the ball, is modded in the middle of the key..goes to dribble out of it, gets out of it...starts going to the top of the key to pass it off and then the whistle comes...ref comes in waving his hands and pointing back to the spot where the mod was and stated Kelly traveled. Now, Olynk may have very well traveled at that spot but you cannot wait 5 seconds to process what you think you may have seen and then go "you know what, I am going to call it"

3) I was more upset about the mugging that Bell took after his defensive rebound in the 2nd half that lead to an easy WSU basket. Even Few was off the bench for that one.

Zag 77
12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
How about the blatant trip by Lacy on Stockton late in the game with no call and they score off it. The replay shows Lacy stuck his foot out in Stockton's path.

rennis
12-06-2012, 03:08 PM
How about the blatant trip by Lacy on Stockton late in the game with no call and they score off it. The replay shows Lacy stuck his foot out in Stockton's path.

you mean the turnover that changed the entire game? Yeah, that sucked.

GonzaGAW
12-06-2012, 04:25 PM
late in second half, harris was called for an over the back rebound foul. the score board read team foul 7 and the pa annoucer said "that is team foul 7 on gonzaga, wsu to shoot one and one"

but no one and one was given. wsu was given the ball to inbound. the foul was definitely after the gu shot was taken and on the rebound, so foul was not an offensive foul. the next foul was shown at number 8 and so on.

i was at the game, so i'd like to know, did the t.v commentators make mention of it, or explain why no one and one shot was given to wsu?

americasteam
12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
late in second half, harris was called for an over the back rebound foul. the score board read team foul 7 and the pa annoucer said "that is team foul 7 on gonzaga, wsu to shoot one and one"

but no one and one was given. wsu was given the ball to inbound. the foul was definitely after the gu shot was taken and on the rebound, so foul was not an offensive foul. the next foul was shown at number 8 and so on.

i was at the game, so i'd like to know, did the t.v commentators make mention of it, or explain why no one and one shot was given to wsu?

Yes, the announcers mentioned it, but didn't have an explanation as to why no free throw was shot.

If I'm not mistaken, Gonzaga shot it, and then Elias went up for the rebound and got called for the foul. I believe that is a team-control foul, and the defensive team does not shoot free throws on that, but rather a throw in. thus, WSU was given the ball to throw in. (Similar to a player-control foul -Player-control foul is called if the foul is called on the player with the ball. Team-control foul is called if the player is on offense, but does not have the ball)

BTB
12-06-2012, 04:51 PM
you mean the turnover that changed the entire game? Yeah, that sucked.

It was a turnover but it wasn't Dave's fault

Hoopaholic
12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Correct on the foul...team must have possession before shooting penalty free throws

GonzaGAW
12-06-2012, 09:39 PM
appreciate the feedback, but i do not agree. i've been away from ref'in for 6 years, but before that i ref'd 7 yrs high school ball.

yes, if the foul is committed by the team in offensive control, such as a charge or illegal pick, it does not matter if it is foul number 5, 10 or 15, its ball out of bound and we head the other way with no foul shots.

but once a shot goes up, neither team is on offense or defense, neither team is in control of the ball. that is why i'm curious, as it looked to me like the foul was on the rebound.

i come up with 3 possibilities.

1. the score keeper had 7 fouls on the board but it was really 6. this is most likely
2. while i and others thought the foul was on the rebound, perhaps we missed a push or illegal pick by harris before the shot went up and all we saw was the over the back rebound which certainly looked like a foul as well
3. the ref's blew it, which i doubt, as wsu coach or assitant coach should have been on top of the number of fouls and been screaming at the refs to check the book to confirm it was foul # 7.

Hoopaholic
12-07-2012, 05:46 AM
I think we are talking apples to apples just not communicating... I thought the foul occurred while engaging for rebound position prior to the release of the shot therefore was offensive foul and wsu not in possession therefore cannot s hoot free throws. The whistle blew from our seat location prior to the shot being completed from our bleacher position