• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag365
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Phew, we almost gave it away.

Good: Few pulling GLE and playing Hart for long minutes (this was clearly the type of game where Hart thrives); Harris played one of his most complete/mature games; KO was a life-saver with timely putbacks, moves in the key, and nailing that 3-ball; GBJ was aggressive at both ends all night; Hart taking charges and hitting a 3; and KP, although not a factor for long stretches, hit the Ts at critical point and had the moxey to do a Meech at the end. Props to Coach Few on managing a difficult game and to the team for not caving in when Cougs made their runs.

[U]Bad[U]: GLE was lost (too bad because we could have used his size and length); too many missed FTs; PK was too slow for this game when we could have used a big body; Dranginis not able to handle this type of brawl; and the team getting outhustled for 50/50 balls and rebounds, esp. in the first half.

Ugly: Too many TOs, especially unforced turnovers.
  • Oregonzagnut
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Zag365 View Post
    Phew, we almost gave it away.

Good: Few pulling GLE and playing Hart for long minutes (this was clearly the type of game where Hart thrives); Harris played one of his most complete/mature games; KO was a life-saver with timely putbacks, moves in the key, and nailing that 3-ball; GBJ was aggressive at both ends all night; Hart taking charges and hitting a 3; and KP, although not a factor for long stretches, hit the Ts at critical point and had the moxey to do a Meech at the end. Props to Coach Few on managing a difficult game and to the team for not caving in when Cougs made their runs.

[U]Bad[U]: GLE was lost (too bad because we could have used his size and length); too many missed FTs; PK was too slow for this game when we could have used a big body; Dranginis not able to handle this type of brawl; and the team getting outhustled for 50/50 balls and rebounds, esp. in the first half.

Ugly: Too many TOs, especially unforced turnovers.
    IMO, the fugly: 53% FT's
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• hooter73
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2008

the bad are my big head shakers. Not that Im surprised, well maybe a little considering the start GLE had this year, but the other two are new... raw. I want them to do really big thing at GU but we have to wait for them to get it going.

Comment

• Ezag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

FT will cost us a game

Comment

• Zag@LMU
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2011

<60% free throw shooting from a Division 1 team, let alone one that LEADS the nation in FG% is absolutely inexcusable. There is no other way to spin it.
          "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Mantua
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

Keeping possession ought to be a big topic when the team reviews the tape. I don't remember the last time we struggled so much to just get the ball. Our defensive rebounding went badly. We got outhustled going after loose balls. We threw the ball away. We were stripped. We traveled. We didn't block out on offense. I don't see this kind of unraveling as characteristic of this team, but it may help them focus down the road. Pangos looked shaken after the game. I'm glad he was praised in the highlight reel.
            Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2011

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. We lived through that game.

Gonzaga will be a better team because of it. Be it lessons in our learning curve. A wake up call. Confirmation of heart and commitment. A great game. Whatever you see in it. It was a BIG BIG win and it helped the team get even better. In every aspect of skill, mental toughness and heart.
              “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Zags11
                Banned
                • Mar 2008

Was at the game. Zags look rattled when game got tight cept kelly, Hart, and E. I will take any W.

Comment

• Zag@LMU
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                  That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. We lived through that game.

Gonzaga will be a better team because of it. Be it lessons in our learning curve. A wake up call. Confirmation of heart and commitment. A great game. Whatever you see in it. It was a BIG BIG win and it helped the team get even better. In every aspect of skill, mental toughness and heart.
                  Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
                  Was at the game. Zags look rattled when game got tight cept kelly, Hart, and E. I will take any W.
                  This wont be our only tight game of the year, I think it will be immeasurably beneficial to have won this one instead of coug-ing our lead.
                  "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Zags11
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2008

I agree. This team has tremendous hart. lol

Comment

Working...
                    X