PDA

View Full Version : SMC schedule upgrade

Gonzdb8
07-31-2007, 08:02 PM
SMC just added a game against Texas to the OOC.

"The Longhorns will face St. Mary’s — the one near San Francisco — on Jan. 5 at the Erwin Center. St. Mary’s finished 17-15 last season, including 8-6 in the West Coast Conference — Gonzaga’s league."

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2007/07/31/mens_hoops_schedule_undergoes_some_changes.html

Not sure what the Texas team looks like this year but ya gotta love our WCC brethren adding a BCS opponent.

Nevtelen
07-31-2007, 08:09 PM
So far, I'm impressed with St Mary's schedule - who might have the games to make some serious noise, maybe at-large noise, if their team is up to it - and Santa Clara's, who also have some good OOC games (except Santa Clara's sched is *really* road heavy, especially early on, which probably doesn't bode well for them).

Radbooks
07-31-2007, 08:30 PM
I find it amusing that they have to identify the WCC as Gonzaga's league. :D

hondo46
07-31-2007, 09:00 PM
That Randy Bennett did not pick up from Lorenzo Romar was cowardly scheduling. On the contrary the Gaels are fearless with an anybody anywhere attitude. last year St Mary's played at Uconn, at UN Reno, at USC, at St. Joes, at Southern Illinois. Given their arena it's a tough situation for the Gaels but Randy is doing a very, very good job with a bunch of hard nosed guys who really get after you. They are also blessed with a hard core group of loyal and fun loving alumni. I admire what they do and wish them the best. This could be a break out year.

TheZagPhish
07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
...Randy is doing a very, very good job with a bunch of hard nosed guys who really get after you.

I agree on the whole and wish them well. But still...

I
DO
NOT
SAMHAN

Sorry. :)

MickMick
07-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Would be nice to see them get an at-large. No way do I want to see them win the conference tourney. Obviously, I believe they will be the Zag's toughest foe in the WCC this year.

roxdoc
07-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Sounds like SMC is taking a page out of the early on GU playbook . Play some tough teams in the OOC, if you have to play them on the road so be it. In the longer term this improves your play, your reputation, and you start getting better recruits. I seem to remember in '99 (?) we played Purdue who was pretty good, on the road. We lost, but one of the Purdue players was quoted as saying "we'll see you at the dance." It was based upon respect and quite prophetic!

Nevtelen
07-31-2007, 11:16 PM
That Randy Bennett did not pick up from Lorenzo Romar was cowardly scheduling. On the contrary the Gaels are fearless with an anybody anywhere attitude. last year St Mary's played at Uconn, at UN Reno, at USC, at St. Joes, at Southern Illinois. Given their arena it's a tough situation for the Gaels but Randy is doing a very, very good job with a bunch of hard nosed guys who really get after you. They are also blessed with a hard core group of loyal and fun loving alumni. I admire what they do and wish them the best. This could be a break out year.

Gotta agree with that. Plus, someone at SMC is a mad scheduling genius to get some of the games they do. Seton Hall at home? Bringing the good mids like S Illinois to Moraga? Impressive. Considering how hard it is for most good mid-majors to get good games... hats off to the St. Mary's staff.

El Voce
08-01-2007, 08:29 AM
I also congratulate St. Marys for scheduling tough foes. That's half the battle. Now, they have to win their fair share to really help the conference.

The WCC will, for the most part, be a one-bid league until all eight teams upgrade their OOC schedules. You can't beat the BCS schools if you don't play them.

BobZag
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Good to see some WCC programs like SMC stepping up their ooc skeds. Let's don't assume the Gaels will be at-large, though, until (or unless) the Zags actually beat them. I think GU will beat them, but we all know anything can happen. :)

roxdoc
08-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Oh Oh! BZ is starting the reverse psychology already! Are we doomed?

El Voce
08-01-2007, 01:19 PM
MJ -- I think you guys have a great chance against Oregon at home.

mendiant
08-01-2007, 05:59 PM
I agree on the whole and wish them well. But still...

I
DO
NOT
SAMHAN

Sorry. :)

I agree with both sentiments.

"manboobs" is a pill...(last years kc chant)

but I am SOOOO glad to see St Mary's going after the big guys like this. It is great for the WCC!

KSTATEZAG
08-01-2007, 06:08 PM
They'll win...I put money on it.
I also put money on Samhan eating the mascot after the game...it is beef.

Angelo Roncalli
08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm kinda surprised SMC is letting Ernie Kent back on campus.