PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Lamb

23dpg
12-04-2012, 07:20 AM
reportedly being recruited by Gonzaga.

Mike Grimala
@MikeGrimala
I'm told UCLA transfer Tyler Lamb had a "good visit" at UNLV this weekend. He's also drawing interest from Gonzaga and UConn, among others
12:41pm Mon Dec 03

Oregonzagnut
12-04-2012, 07:45 AM
We should. We can get Seattle talent, why not go for L.A. too. IMO, it is the human quality of wanting to avoid drama, politics, and the social pressure to succeed. It is overwhelming for many. Large student body populations and fan bases tend to create more eye balls on your every move. UCLA is not for the quiet, unassuming, introvert or shy person.

I am not surprised more of the top McD AA's and 5 stars are going to smaller schools. But some kids want that drama, others do not. I think Gonzaga is what it is and what it is, is a healthy tight knit family school of Top 25 basketball.

Sometimes it is better to be a big fish in a small pond. Lamb should not have gone swimming in the UCLA ocean, which is more like the Marianas trench. Full of deep dark unknown dangers.

Hoopaholic
12-04-2012, 08:00 AM
And there is drama, media, highlight and scrutiny in LA...I am a simple country boy, born and raised on Bainbridge Island, worked in seattle, have a home in rural eastern washington. I am shipped down here to the Heart of LA for my job and have been absolutely STUNNED at the INTENSE scrutiny of every little item that occurs at one of the sports teams (or anyone else for that matter)....non-stop on the television, radio.....kid sneezes and they discuss it for hours, it is like 30 FOLD compared to Seattle market.......prior to my arrival i would have shrugged my shoulders at the notion there is a difference..but after 8 months down here THERE IS A HUGE difference and I can see why some kids may not "enjoy" it once they are in the prime time spot light.....

Virginia Zags Fan
12-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I hope Tyler comes to GU under the following conditions:

1) He would really like to come to GU
2) His future teammates think he would be a good fit and would keep the family atmosphere.
3) The coaches think he would be a good fit

If those three conditions are met, then I am all about having him. I think Donny D. might be a big help in getting him if that is where GU wants to go.

BobZag
12-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Just like Josiah Turner (from Arizona) last year, I'd take Tyler Lamb this year.

Worthington
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
How much eligibility does he have left? I'm guessing he wants to transfer somewhere he can start, which I can't imagine happening in a rotation of Coleman, Pangos, Bell, and Drainginis. Stats aren't great and I've read reports that he hasn't been the same after an injury, but obviously I trust the staff to make a good evaluation. Personally, I'm hoping we can get Bryan Alberts signed soon and maybe make a run at Namon Wright.

Oregonzagnut
12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
I hope Tyler comes to GU under the following conditions:

1) He would really like to come to GU
2) His future teammates think he would be a good fit and would keep the family atmosphere.
3) The coaches think he would be a good fit

If those three conditions are met, then I am all about having him. I think Donny D. might be a big help in getting him if that is where GU wants to go.

If getting a kid is only basketball related, therein lies the problem.

I would amend your #1 condition to be:

1. He must want an education and to graduate from Gonzaga.

Case in point, Few's Austin Daye experiment was a basketball first decision and it hurt the chemistry of the team so much that even Few has commented on it recently. We forget Few is still learning too. Basically he said that 2008-09 team was too NBA minded/distracted to commit to the team goals for the long haul. Harris was going to be our first 1 and doner and Daye was a possible sophomore lottery pick. It isn't the players fault either. Life happens and the exploitation of our youth is promoted by the NCAA.

Fitz/Monson/Few have a formula that works, but Daye fell outside that formula. Trying to fulfill immediate gratification to win did not really help anyone in the long run. Because the goals were not in line with an education and graduation.

Few is a teacher at Gonzaga. Few must commit to a students education first. This is why Gonzaga was able to climb out of obscurity and mediocrity in the first place.

For all but 10-15 basketball programs in the NCAA Div1, there are no short cuts to the national championship. Those 10-15 programs have developed into an amateur NBA D-League. The rest of the 325 schools need to develop skill with education AND maturity!

Without education and maturity, skill is usually wasted, like building a castle on sand.

Bogozags
12-04-2012, 10:08 AM
If getting a kid is only basketball related, therein lies the problem.

I would amend your #1 condition to be:

1. He must want an education and to graduate from Gonzaga.

Case in point, Few's Austin Daye experiment was a basketball first decision and it hurt the chemistry of the team so much that even Few has commented on it recently. We forget Few is still learning too. Basically he said that 2008-09 team was too NBA minded/distracted to commit to the team goals for the long haul. Harris was going to be our first 1 and doner and Daye was a possible sophomore lottery pick. It isn't the players fault either. Life happens and the exploitation of our youth is promoted by the NCAA.

Fitz/Monson/Few have a formula that works, but Daye fell outside that formula. Trying to fulfill immediate gratification to win did not really help anyone in the long run. Because the goals were not in line with an education and graduation.

Few is a teacher at Gonzaga. Few must commit to a students education first. This is why Gonzaga was able to climb out of obscurity and mediocrity in the first place.

For all but 10-15 basketball programs in the NCAA Div1, there are no short cuts to the national championship. Those 10-15 programs have developed into an amateur NBA D-League. The rest of the 325 schools need to develop skill with education AND maturity!

Without education and maturity, skill is usually wasted, like building a castle on sand.

Very well stated!

These are reasons we have difficulty in getting 4-5 star recruits to come visit let alone commit to GU.