PDA

View Full Version : We've got three seniors, but only two recruits

thespywhozaggedme
12-03-2012, 07:52 PM
We lose Elias, Guy and Hart. We are bringing in the giant from Montana and the undersized pf from Oregon. That leaves one spot open. A stud pg would be a good get, maybe a juco kid. If we make the deep run that many of us think that we are capable of, we might land a big name kid out of the blue. What say you?

Zag@LMU
12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Id rather get a stud PF than a stud PG

GeorgiaZagFan
12-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Agreed - replacing Harris with a similar PF would be more important for next year.

rijman
12-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I thought I read in this forum we had 2 big men lined up for next year.

KStyles
12-03-2012, 08:00 PM
We lose Elias, Guy and Hart. We are bringing in the giant from Montana and the undersized pf from Oregon. That leaves one spot open. A stud pg would be a good get, maybe a juco kid. If we make the deep run that many of us think that we are capable of, we might land a big name kid out of the blue. What say you?

If you're talking about 6'8" commit Luke Meikle, he's currently attending Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma.

Oregonzagnut
12-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Yes. How do we replace Harris and Edi and Hart was your point wasn't it Spy?

We lose 2 forwards and a "guard". We defintely need an elite PF. Preferably our first McDonalds AA who loathes the big conferences and wants a good Jesuit education AND wants to play for a national championship.

someone like Elias Harris only better! Like Jermaine Lawrence or Julius Randle.

But Few will do it like he always does and will just find a great JC transfer who has 2 years left and then develop the Euro we will probably get that isn't on ANY scout top 150 list.

I think Few prefers slow steady development so nobody gets the idea of bolting early for the NBA.

thespywhozaggedme
12-03-2012, 08:25 PM
If you're talking about 6'8" commit Luke Meikle, he's currently attending Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma.

Sorry, my bad.

sittingon50
12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Don't forget Coleman.

GoZags
12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
There is room to bring in a mid year transfer if the staff so desires.

bigblahla
12-04-2012, 04:30 AM

Tall but skinny 190lbs, my son is 6'1" weighs 172 and his hipbones, elbows and Adams apple are his most pronounced features, Meikle is slight of build and will take at least a year to get stronger and put on weight. He is not our answer next season so undersized would be appropriate in my mind.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

zag67
12-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Next year there are not going to be a lot of minutes. But if either of the two bigs shows during their senior year they can play some minutes that would be super. If it looks like both need a redshirt year then finding a good jc big may be the answer or possibly a Europe big.

Next year we will be guard university. But the following year we will need one to come in and learn. We also will be needing an athletic 3/4.

But I would like to say that this is a great problem to have. This year and next solid, the following year we need a couple of pieces and then who knows but the coaches

P.s. yes I do know things may and probably will change.

zag944
12-04-2012, 08:38 AM
With Karno, Sam, and Kelly around next year, itll be interesting to see what happens with the new guys. Three bigs seems like too few, five is too many, so I imagine the staff redshirts one of them but not both. With one PF and two centers, I would guess Meikle plays and Edwards waits a year.

Im guessing Coleman will start at the wing, with Kyle backing up both him and Bell...a sixth man getting almost starter minutes. Seems like we need one more guy in that area, which explains the recruiting of Lamb from UCLA. He would be a high profile get for us and would challenge all those guys for minutes I would think.

ZenZag
12-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I think Few prefers slow steady development so nobody gets the idea of bolting early for the NBA.

I believe this is key in the Few Philosophy....the polar opposite of the Calipari Philosophy....thank God!!

zag944
12-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Not having one and done players (ie top 12-15 level recruits) is more a matter of practicality than philosophy.

kitzbuel
12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Not having one and done players (ie top 12-15 level recruits) is more a matter of practicality than philosophy.
I agree.

KStyles
12-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Tall but skinny 190lbs, my son is 6'1" weighs 172 and his hipbones, elbows and Adams apple are his most pronounced features, Meikle is slight of build and will take at least a year to get stronger and put on weight. He is not our answer next season so undersized would be appropriate in my mind.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

I totally agree, I was just pointing out his location.

BobZag
12-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Transfers
Foreign players
Jucos

Keep an eye out for those, plus 2013 is not viewed as a class with a lot of need. Otoh, 2014 and 2015 is. A year from now, if the Force is with us, we'll have another wave of Pangos, Bell, et al, signed up and committed.

kitzbuel
12-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Transfers
Foreign players
Jucos

Keep an eye out for those, plus 2013 is not viewed as a class with a lot of need. Otoh, 2014 and 2015 is. A year from now, if the Force is with us, we'll have another wave of Pangos, Bell, et al, signed up and committed.
Tommy, at the far reaches of the planet, checking out new recruits.

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=3bPVA qMpGUJZm6d5jueR6M$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtQqLI7vOjDNPB O6pZUw45EWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

zag944
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Out of curiousity, does anyone more "in the know" think that we might have a player(s) transfer?

For the first time in a half dozen years or so, I dont feel like this team has a single player that seems discontented, or doesnt understand his role. Just my perception, and one I am very happy with.

stretchlimo
12-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Transfers
Foreign players
JucosDamien Inglis would be a natural replacement for Elias. Combo forward who is easily the best player at INSEP. Not sure if he's 2013 or 2014 (his age makes me think he'd be a '13), or what his college or pro plans are, but he'd be a good get.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Both of those incoming freshmen look like they need a year in the gym before their bodies are ready for D-I ball. They would both benefit from a redshirt. I hope we have the luxury of doing that for each of them. To do that, we need a fourth big - preferably an athletic power forward - that can play 15+ minutes a game, next year.

Guards and wings can be the focus of the 2014 class.

Zag4Hire
12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Out of curiousity, does anyone more "in the know" think that we might have a player(s) transfer?

For the first time in a half dozen years or so, I dont feel like this team has a single player that seems discontented, or doesnt understand his role. Just my perception, and one I am very happy with.

Nature of the game with players transferring to different schools, coaches leaving for other schools/NBA/scandal, and even schools realigning with another conference. Players (rightfully so) are always on the lookout for other opportunities or perhaps get homesick. I would never chalk up any player being around for four years because you just don't know (injuries, infractions, etc.). I would say 25% of the time I have been surprised by a transfer from GU.