PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Coming to the WCC Might Not Be a Bad Thing After All

Zag@LMU
12-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Even though we put the game away early, that was a well coached and gritty basketball team to watch. I don't expect them to be much lower than 5th or 6th in the WCC next season. I know that theyre not a BYU caliber addition, but we could've done worse (Seattle U). UP would've beaten a lot of good teams on their floor with last nights performance.

Also, I like their fanbase. BYU is my favorite, but I would put UP at number 2 in the WCC. Maybe the old dogs of the WCC can learn some things about respect from the new guys.

RenoZag
12-02-2012, 05:16 PM
And it's another opportunity for Zag fans in NorCal to see the team in person. . .

zagzilla
12-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Their longtime coach is retiring after this year and they are losing a lot to graduation. Will be a different program next year.

ZZ

FlyZag
12-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Two fewer opportunities to play OOC competition. Opportunities to play teams like Duke, Michigan St., Illinois, Kansas St., West Virginia,.... etc. etc. etc. That said, I'm all for having 10 teams and evening out the scheduling.

gonzagabasketball
12-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Two fewer opportunities to play OOC competition. Opportunities to play teams like Duke, Michigan St., Illinois, Kansas St., West Virginia,.... etc. etc. etc. That said, I'm all for having 10 teams and evening out the scheduling.

I prefer to look at it as though its an opportunity to eliminate the LC states and Campells from the schedule, even if its not really the case.

MBAGael
12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I prefer to look at it as though its an opportunity to eliminate the LC states and Campells from the schedule

+1

Section 116
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I did hear , I'm pretty sure it was on the L/C state pregame radio show with Hudson and Santangelo, L/C State was a late addition. There were 2 unnamed Division 1 schools who backed out late which left GU hustling to fill a date. Overall, for me, the OOC schedule is as good as anyone in the country, in fact, better than most. I suspect every team in the country has a "cupcake or two" on the schedule.

UberZagFan
12-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I prefer to look at it as though its an opportunity to eliminate the LC states and Campells from the schedule, even if its not really the case.

Wishful thinking. GU will play Pacific now in Jan/Feb along with all the other bottom feeders of the WCC. GU will still have to schedule a LC State or other "gimme" games peppered through the OOC schedule so that the team can get a break or work on things.

SWZag
12-02-2012, 07:48 PM
I think adding Pacific is better than many people give them credit for.

It also gives another game in California, which is good for recruiting.

SWZag

sittingon50
12-02-2012, 07:50 PM
They may not have to, uber. Haven't run the #'s, but I'm thinking the Zags will have an even more experienced group next year. Big difference between the 2 trigger men being Jrs. as opposed to Sophs, IMO.

ZagaZags
12-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I did hear , I'm pretty sure it was on the L/C state pregame radio show with Hudson and Santangelo, L/C State was a late addition. There were 2 unnamed Division 1 schools who backed out late which left GU hustling to fill a date. Overall, for me, the OOC schedule is as good as anyone in the country, in fact, better than most. I suspect every team in the country has a "cupcake or two" on the schedule.

Dec. 1st was the date for the RMD game. But the Div 1 team backed out. LC or Pacific would NOT fill the bill for a RMD game.

Zag 77
12-02-2012, 09:57 PM
The WCC should not have been in an all-fired hurry to add Pacific as a 10th team. It is not like they are an eye-popping addition. WCC should have waited a couple of years to see if BYU is staying put. As things stand now, if BYU bolts for the Big 12 or some other league, we are back to 9 with nothing but crappy alternatives to get up to 10.

gonwick
12-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Agree that it hurts out of conference scheduling more than anything, as gu always needs break games but will have less wiggle room from rpi and time perspective. When few was asked after the game about pacific joining, he made a cryptic comment about how you never know what will happen with conference realignment. Would wcc pull plug on addition if byu bolts? Is gu considering the famed super secret national basketball conference of orphans from football? Does anyone know what he meant?

CDC84
12-02-2012, 11:32 PM
The WCC should not have been in an all-fired hurry to add Pacific as a 10th team. It is not like they are an eye-popping addition. WCC should have waited a couple of years to see if BYU is staying put. As things stand now, if BYU bolts for the Big 12 or some other league, we are back to 9 with nothing but crappy alternatives to get up to 10.

GU will still have to schedule a LC State or other "gimme" games peppered through the OOC schedule so that the team can get a break or work on things.

This and this.

FlyZag
12-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Anybody catch the Mark Few show last night? He commented that he felt there was a real possibility that there would be a BCS type system moving to CBB. There possibly could be a shift to two or more divisions within D1. The big boy division (BCS schools like Michigan, Duke, UCLA, Ohio St.) and the JV division (FCS type schools like EWU, Bucknell, Fordham, Pacific).

Birddog
12-03-2012, 07:05 AM
There possibly could be a shift to two or more divisions within D1. The big boy division (BCS schools like Michigan, Duke, UCLA, Ohio St.) and the JV division (FCS type schools like EWU, Bucknell, Fordham, Pacific).
That'll suck, more of the NCAA's caste system promoted mainly by the large public institutions.

basketballzag
12-03-2012, 07:17 AM
One thing you can bank on is that Gonzaga will NOT be in the WCC in three years. The Zags stand to make too much money in another pasture which will bring in a lot more revenue & stature for the program.

hooter73
12-03-2012, 07:43 AM
One thing you can bank on is that Gonzaga will NOT be in the WCC in three years. The Zags stand to make too much money in another pasture which will bring in a lot more revenue & stature for the program.

I in fact will NOT be banking on that. Go back to bed, you're having weird dreams.

cjm720
12-03-2012, 08:05 AM
I always liked Pacific as a decent fit. Much better than BYU.

Like other programs in the WCC, our success will help Pacific without a doubt.

titopoet
12-03-2012, 08:23 AM

When are they starting their football program?

SWZag
12-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Anybody catch the Mark Few show last night? He commented that he felt there was a real possibility that there would be a BCS type system moving to CBB. There possibly could be a shift to two or more divisions within D1. The big boy division (BCS schools like Michigan, Duke, UCLA, Ohio St.) and the JV division (FCS type schools like EWU, Bucknell, Fordham, Pacific).

This would be an absolute shame.

A soccer process would be better where the winners move to the top classification and the losers move down.

SWZag

JCbbfan
12-03-2012, 09:15 AM
The meatloaf sliders at Jack and Dans are over the top.
The student section is the best I have ever witnessed, and I have seen many.
State of the art facility
Courteous and knowledgeable fans.
Couldn't have asked more of my first taste of Zag land except for the score.
A loaded Zags team I expect to see in Atlanta come March
Good Luck the rest of the way

Go Tigers!

Birddog
12-03-2012, 09:16 AM
A soccer process would be better where the winners move to the top classification and the losers move down.

Too many BCS schools would suffer that fate, it would never fly.

sittingon50
12-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Glad you had a (mostly) good time, JC.

rennis
12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I always liked Pacific as a decent fit. Much better than BYU.

Like other programs in the WCC, our success will help Pacific without a doubt.

100% agree. Pacific is a good fit for the WCC. As would be Seattle U. I still can't figure out how BYU fits in this picture in the long run.

I would gladly trade SU for BYU. Give the Zags a home & home with a team in Seattle? Yes please.

rijman
12-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I'll be interested to see how Pacific does this season in conference, the Big West includes Long Beach St and UC Santa Barbara as the top teams along with my sons school UC Irvine that went OT with UCLA, which I though may have meant something at the time but losses following that game by both programs show UCI is only mediocre. Pacific will also face Cal Poly twice who beat UCLA, but again they may not mean much. I'm not sure Pacific will be a top 2 or 3 team in their conference this season. The Pacific games I'm most interested in, now that they played the Zags, are the other WCC matchups including USF, SCU and the rematch at St. Mary's 12/19.

bigblahla
12-03-2012, 10:31 AM
The meatloaf sliders at Jack and Dans are over the top.
The student section is the best I have ever witnessed, and I have seen many.
State of the art facility
Courteous and knowledgeable fans.
Couldn't have asked more of my first taste of Zag land except for the score.
A loaded Zags team I expect to see in Atlanta come March
Good Luck the rest of the way

Go Tigers!

Glad you had a 90% good time and enjoyed Jack n Dans, thought you might.

You have a very good team and if you were in the WCC you would finish upper tier after what I've seen so far out of Provo and Moraga.

Go get your Big West Title and send your coach out in style.

Go!! Tigers!!!
Go!! Zags!!!

MJGoGaels
12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
...Maybe the old dogs of the WCC can learn some things about respect from the new guys.

UOP formerly College of the Pacific used to be a member of the WCC formerly the WCAC. So It's welcome back.

rijman
12-03-2012, 04:42 PM
UOP formerly College of the Pacific used to be a member of the WCC formerly the WCAC. So It's welcome back.
I was just reading up on this, UOP was one of the 5 charter members of the California Basketball Association, which was later renamed the WCAC. The other 4 founding schools included; SMC, SCU, USF & SJ St. UOP left in 1971 and Gonzaga joined in 1979.

jake
12-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Whatever bank that is, I think the FDIC will be taking it over soon. Stranger things have happened, but I put the odds of your statement coming true way down the probability line.