PDA

View Full Version : Sacre v. Downs in D-League Action

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-30-2012, 07:14 PM
I just got back from the L.A. D-Fenders v. Maine Red Claws D-League game. Robert Sacre's D-fenders came from behind in a dogfight to win by three over Micah Downs's Maine Red Claws. I came away impressed by the level of play from both teams. I had not been to a D-League game in several years and the quality of play has improved a lot. Both teams were well-stocked with great athletes, great size, and a lot of young players who play with great passion.

Sacre and Downs both played very well. Downs was named the player of the game with 22 points, four rebounds, two assists, two blocked shots, and three steals. Downs had one stretch during the middle of the game where he scored ten straight points for Maine off of two three-pointers, a beautiful acrobatic floater, and a pair of free throws that he earned when a defender slammed him to the floor on a lay-in attempt. Sacre had a double double with 13 and 13. Both played really good team defense. They were clearly two of the better players on the floor, but they were hardly the only ones who looked like they could make an NBA roster. Both players are competing against some very, very talented players for the call-ups.

I had a great time. I've been to NBA games where I could barely see the floor from up in the rafters. This gym was smaller than the old Martin Centre. The crowd was right up against the play. You could make out the tats on Sacre's arms from where we were sitting. I was surrounded by a lot of other college fans who were there to see the players from their respective college teams. If you live somewhere near a D-League franchise and one of the old dogs come to town, I would recommend that you check it out.

A replay of the game and box score is at.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121130/LADMNE/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200015

stretchlimo
11-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the first-hand report MCMM. That 4th Q was entertaining. Pretty obvious that the fans enjoy their hoops there, and Micah seems to be an instant favorite. Looked like he was feeding off the energy from the crowd, and vice versa. That sequence where he had that little dipsy-doo layin, then the steal, the drawn foul, and high-fives with the front row was fun to watch.

Rob's two big 4Q putbacks really helped LA when they needed it.

(And if only our current Zags could shoot FTs like these two!)