PDA

View Full Version : a star is born

allnet59
11-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Kyle D..... Great game tonight just another player our foes have to game plan for in the future.... Really picks his spots well so far this season. Good luck to you

CDC84
11-29-2012, 07:41 PM
I love the kid's game. If he can consistently knock down three pointers like he did tonight, he could be special. He's already tremendous at driving the ball. What I also like is that he's showing improvement as a defender. He's a better athlete than Bouldin and has a quicker first step than Gray. Has long arms. Plays with great poise.

Imagine the team next year with this set of perimeters:

Pangos
Bell
Stockton
Coleman
Dranginis

zaguarxj
11-29-2012, 07:45 PM
He solidified his position in the top 9 tonight. He'll come in after Stockton and one of the bigs (I'm not sure who the starters are). Very impressive.

Oregonzagnut
11-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Imagine the team next year with this set of perimeters:

Pangos
Bell
Stockton
Coleman
Dranginis

Plus our bigs will be Olynyk, Dower, Karno!

As another member mentioned, we will be weak at the 4 spot for a couple years unless all three of our centers can learn to play PF or forward. Kelly and Dower seem to be a OK fit for that spot.

hooter73
11-29-2012, 07:52 PM
he's better than most realized, still behind in the rotation and even against "lesser" competition, the kid can play.

gamagin
11-29-2012, 07:54 PM
in there to shoot. there are plays that are clearly run & set up around him. When he sets up, it was usually ahead & away from the action. Then the p.g. or ball would find him right on cue and swish.

He's expected to shoot. And after about three games of watching the game revolve around him, he got comfortable & went to town tonight.

Stocks ran completely around the court on one occasion, ending up underneath the basket just to dish out to KD atop the key for one of those threes. Everyone on the team celebrated with him, too, during timeouts and generally.

It's really a pleasure how everyone seems to work unselfishly to give everyone els his opportunity. And then to genuinely celebrate when it works. As a team.

Hoopaholic
11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Find it funny no mention of barham for next year.....he is good and don't discount his abilities

allnet59
11-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Find it funny no mention of barham for next year.....he is good and don't discount his abilities

Your spot on with your observation give him some playing time without that face mask and he will be another three point threat.

Section 116
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Dick Schomburg, the Voice of Reason, is surely smiling in heaven tonight. Dick assured his friends "the kid from Nampa," just like Dick, would be quite possibly the best player ever at GU. The kid looked good tonght Dick!!!!

rennis
11-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Barham is a natural born killer from 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Section 116
11-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Recent tweet from Barham: Worst feeling is knowing you're capable of so much but the situation doesn't allow you to show it."Yup! Keep ur head up. Drew got a chance tonight and showed well. Donnie Daniels showered some praise on Barham during the post game radio show as well. There just aren't enough minutes.

Angelo Roncalli
11-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Dick Schomburg, the Voice of Reason, is surely smiling in heaven tonight. Dick assured his friends "the kid from Nampa," just like Dick, would be quite possibly the best player ever at GU. The kid looked good tonght Dick!!!!

I hadn't read your post my friend before I posted essentially the same thing in the GUnit thread. El Voce would have indeed been pleased...

hooter73
11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
i really like Drew off the bench for his firepower and senior leadership, maybe more so than Hoff. The nose/face mask was a huge hindrance for him.

Kiddwell
11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
The TV guys and the GU athletic site list Kyle as 6-5, 175 lbs. Wasn't that his weight as a true frosh? Hasn't Kyle muscled up a bit since last year?

:]

MBZags
11-29-2012, 09:34 PM
I thought I saw someone say he's up to 190 or 200.

Hogan
11-29-2012, 09:41 PM
I agree with about 98% of what CDC says so I don't feel too bad about disagreeing on this one issue: I do not think Kyle is a better athlete than Bouldin. I always thought Bouldin was a fabulous athlete and of course was a lot bigger. Although he did sometimes leave me thinking there was a better, more consistent player locked in there somewhere. But I don't mean to highjack this thread. Kyle was fantastic, he adds much needed length on the perimeter, and , what an embarrassment of riches, another play-maker.Keeping my fingers crossed that he is as good of a shooter as he showed tonight.

UberZagFan
11-29-2012, 10:34 PM
So after this start and seeing what we have this year, there is still talk about next year? Sometimes it seems like the MBB is all about next year.

WallaWallaZag
11-29-2012, 10:37 PM
kyle thrived being the primary option today, but he'll need to learn to be just as effective and efficient when he is the 4th or 5th option on the floor (for now anyways). something most high school stars need to do as they are used to being "the man" -- the exception being the pseudo all-star teams like findlay prep.

ZagLawGrad
11-29-2012, 10:46 PM
KD is gonna be fun to to watch.

:000tens:

nonzagzag
11-30-2012, 01:11 AM
first player in D1 to score 30 off the bench this year. per Neil Everett on Sportscenter

Cavebear33
11-30-2012, 01:38 AM

My thoughts went to Dick as well as Kyle's point total kept going up. It sure looked like his predictions for the kid from Nampa were accurate tonight, and hopefully for many more games to come.

LongIslandZagFan
11-30-2012, 03:34 AM
I think this an interesting quote from Few on this game and KD (emphasis mine):

"He's capable of that," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "We've been kind of pushing and prodding him to get to that, to view himself as a player that can do that instead of a backup. Kyle can do that; it wasn't like an out-of-body experience."

When we start to think that kids get driven out, its subtle quotes like this that should remind us that they aren't being driven out... they just aren't stepping up. If they don't step up when given the opportunity then they see reduced playing time. It's tough and it sucks, but the reality is that they were brought in for a reason and to get time they need to perform at their top level. KD sure as heck did that tonight.

bigblahla
11-30-2012, 03:43 AM
I think this an interesting quote from Few on this game and KD (emphasis mine):

When we start to think that kids get driven out, its subtle quotes like this that should remind us that they aren't being driven out... they just aren't stepping up. If they don't step up when given the opportunity then they see reduced playing time. It's tough and it sucks, but the reality is that they were brought in for a reason and to get time they need to perform at their top level. KD sure as heck did that tonight.

QFT, we saw KD's potential materialize up close and personal for everyone to witness. Heck of a game and there will be more.

Go!! Zags!!!

Birddog
11-30-2012, 04:05 AM
The game "slowed down" for Kyle tonight, not so much for GLE.

jazzdelmar
11-30-2012, 04:52 AM
KD channeling Greivis Vazquez, you think?

Reborn
11-30-2012, 05:27 AM
I have always liked Kyle from the first time I saw him play on TV, which was in the preseason game last year. I think he has the full package to be a star. I hope that this is just the beginning of what we will see. I think his 7 assists last night has been overlooked. I am very impressed with his passing. He has been getting more and more playing time as the season has progressed. He could be starting soon.

sittingon50
11-30-2012, 06:49 AM
I don't think we'll ever see KD as fiery as GV (but I like the analogy).

Zag Man
11-30-2012, 06:56 AM
I agree with about 98% of what CDC says so I don't feel too bad about disagreeing on this one issue: I do not think Kyle is a better athlete than Bouldin. I always thought Bouldin was a fabulous athlete and of course was a lot bigger. Although he did sometimes leave me thinking there was a better, more consistent player locked in there somewhere. But I don't mean to highjack this thread. Kyle was fantastic, he adds much needed length on the perimeter, and , what an embarrassment of riches, another play-maker.Keeping my fingers crossed that he is as good of a shooter as he showed tonight.

Matt Bouldin was a gifted athlete and leader on the court. He also took and made some big shots in key games for the Zags. I consider him one of the greats in Gonzaga's basketball program.

Kyle looked terrific out on the court last night! A true break-out game for him. Kyle does a lot of good things out there, as he is a great defender and passer. He's going to get better and may turn out to be one of the great ones to wear a Gonzaga uniform. However, I think we should wait before we put that mantel on him. He's got plenty of time and opportunities to earn that distinction.

jazzdelmar
11-30-2012, 07:16 AM
I don't think we'll ever see KD as fiery as GV (but I like the analogy).

i agree but as i recall, being fiery was often a detriment to greivis, at least at maryland. in the pros it has been an asset i think.

Midwestzag
11-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Anybody who has been two time Player of the Year/Mr. Basketball in HS knows how to be the man and fill it up when given the chance. The SG position is in good hands for the next 4 years.

How many H.S. Player of the Year/Mr. Basketball has GU had over the years?

bostonzagfan
11-30-2012, 07:29 AM
I have been waiting for this to happen. As I stated in another thread a few days ago, KD has a combination of length, passing, and shooting that no one else on the team offers.

Birddog
11-30-2012, 07:36 AM
As I stated in another thread a few days ago, KD has a combination of length, passing, and shooting that no one else on the team offers.

Repeatedly pointing out what you have previously posted is going a long way in reinforcing your credibility.

CDC84
11-30-2012, 07:39 AM
No one ever said Kyle was as good as Matt Bouldin. That being said, I do feel he is a better athlete than him. Not that Matty moved at a snail's pace, but if you threw a lob near the basket for K-Drang, I'd trust him to get it and dunk it more effectively than Bouldin. Granted, K-Drang has longer arms than Matt.

The unfortunate thing with Kyle is that he may never be allowed to be as good as Matt Bouldin or even Derek Raivio. I wouldn't be shocked if K-Drang doesn't start a game until his senior year with Coleman becoming eligible next season. Most of the Gonzaga greats at his position didn't have all this perimeter depth to deal with. Not that I am upset by this....the depth is a great thing to have.

GoZags
11-30-2012, 08:00 AM
May have been hyperbole* but there were a couple of occasions last year when Mark Few made mention that KD "could" be the best freshman guard of the trio.
----------------------------
*Not a newsflash, but Fewie isn't really known for "hyperbole".

jazzdelmar
11-30-2012, 08:04 AM
May have been hyperbole* but there were a couple of occasions last year when Mark Few made mention that KD "could" be the best freshman guard of the trio.
----------------------------
*Not a newsflash, but Fewie isn't really known for "hyperbole".

great minds think alike then.....:)

xjzico
11-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Anybody who has been two time Player of the Year/Mr. Basketball in HS knows how to be the man and fill it up when given the chance. The SG position is in good hands for the next 4 years.

How many H.S. Player of the Year/Mr. Basketball has GU had over the years?

Along with Dranginis, Bouldin, Bell, Violette, Knight, and Pendergraft. Anyone else?

Birddog
11-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Spangler was and I thought maybe Stepp was as well.

GU69
11-30-2012, 08:52 AM

I think of Dick / El Voce every time Kyle is on the court.

ID ZAGFAN
11-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I think Pangos was Mr. Ontario his senior year.

ZaGranny

xjzico
11-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Spangler was and I thought maybe Stepp was as well.It might of been Luke Jackson. He won it a couple years in row. Same class I think.

edit: Jackson did not win them consecutively. It went 1998 Jackson, 1999 Dunleavy, 2000 Jackson. Stepp had quite the competition. Quite a generation for Oregon high school hoops when you toss in Aaron Miles and Salim Stoudamire.

Birddog
11-30-2012, 08:58 AM
XJ, you're probably right.

BobZag
11-30-2012, 09:10 AM

Dick would call Kyle TKFN (The Kid From Nampa). A bit sad that El Voce won't see Kyle's career at GU. He was awfully proud of being from that small town.

007Zag
11-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Wasn't Keegan Mr. Maine?

LongIslandZagFan
11-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Dick would call Kyle TKFN (The Kid From Nampa). A bit sad that El Voce won't see Kyle's career at GU. He was awfully proud of being from that small town.

Oh he is watching... And he's got the best seat in the house.

ZagNative
11-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Dick would call Kyle TKFN (The Kid From Nampa). A bit sad that El Voce won't see Kyle's career at GU. He was awfully proud of being from that small town.Hope I'm not spilling the beans, but he told me one time during a PM exchange, that Nampa was a hell hole.

I miss El Voce ...

jazzdelmar
11-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Hope I'm not spilling the beans, but he told me one time during a PM exchange, that Nampa was a hell hole.

I miss El Voce ...

God bless, El Voce.....missed terribly but still right over our shoulder...

BobZag
11-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Hope I'm not spilling the beans, but he told me one time during a PM exchange, that Nampa was a hell hole.

I miss El Voce ...

But he would never say that to me because I lived awhile in neighboring Mountain Home and the two towns are rivals.

bostonzagfan
11-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Repeatedly pointing out what you have previously posted is going a long way in reinforcing your credibility.

point taken.

ZagNative
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
But he would never say that to me because I lived awhile in neighboring Mountain Home and the two towns are rivals.I know. I think he was secretly sniggering at your expense after one of your on-board exchanges over the relative superiority of the two towns.

Edited to add: Hah! I found the thread with the shouting match I was remembering (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=496922#post496922) between El Voce and Bob Zag during Kyle's recruitment. After that thread, EV secretly Pm'd me with his real opinion about Nampa.

Those were fun days, back when we were all young and still relatively lovely!

combatcorpsmangulaw
11-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Kyle reminded me of Micha Downs in the way that he seems to 'slide' to the basket. Barham looks very good as well. There are just so many minutes in a game and Few has no small feat to get 'the best team' on the Floor.

Congratulations to Kyle and Barham. We're fortunate to have them on the team.

cjm720
11-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Redshirt year did wonders for learning the system and gaining weight. He's always had the skill and confidence, he's just now more prepared. Love his game.

Hoopaholic
11-30-2012, 12:00 PM
I will go out on the limb and say that I feel KD will start at least once before the year is out and will push to be the first guard off the bench many games and may push to be the starting 3 slot before the year is out, especially if the game plan appears to call for zone defense against us......

sittingon50
11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
again, match-ups.

Hoopaholic
11-30-2012, 12:06 PM
that is why this team is soooo different from teams prior....matchups and ability to adjust accordingly 10 deep

DixieZag
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
In years past the argument has been who on the bench has what is missing in the line-up, now it is who simply adds more.

I like the Micah Downs analogy, his game is awfully similar, long rangy arms, dead eye from the three and can take it to the hoop if open - - TBD if he becomes a better passer but he is off to a good start.

I thought that Bouldin could have been starting outside linebacker for Colorado - but then, given their team, I might be able to start at LB there.

Nampa - Caldwell used to have the best little league baseball tournament in Southern Idaho, very fond memories from there. Can't believe how many people are there now.

Wasn't Heytvelt Mr. Basketball?? I think Morrison was also and even maybe Sean Mallon - though I might be confusing GSL MVP.

BobZag
11-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Kyle reminded me of Micha Downs in the way that he seems to 'slide' to the basket. Barham looks very good as well. There are just so many minutes in a game and Few has no small feat to get 'the best team' on the Floor.

Congratulations to Kyle and Barham. We're fortunate to have them on the team.

http://cdn.arsenalinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Arsenal-Crest1.jpg

jazzdelmar
11-30-2012, 03:22 PM
http://cdn.arsenalinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Arsenal-Crest1.jpg

Wenger is gonna coach the Zags? :)

BobZag
11-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Wenger is gonna coach the Zags? :)

Gotta admit the logo is cool in its simplicity. Should change our nickname to The Gunners.

A to Zags
11-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Gotta admit the logo is cool in its simplicity. Should change our nickname to The Gunners.

On Sportscenter last night after our game I thought I heard the sportscaster call Gonzaga, "America's Team". Anyone else hear that or was I loopy? Th
at's a nickname that Dallas seems to relish.

allnet59
11-30-2012, 05:15 PM
On Sportscenter last night after our game I thought I heard the sportscaster call Gonzaga, "America's Team". Anyone else hear that or was I loopy? Th

Have heard that reference to the Zags a few times this year on ESPN... Love it

nonzagzag
11-30-2012, 05:21 PM

that announcer Neil Everett is from this area and always calls the Zags america's team and throws in some insider knowledge about the Zags

SteelZag
11-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Neil Everett went to Lewis & Clark and his second favorite team next to the Tigers is GU.

Gonzaga got some coverage because they are ranked!

Lose the rankings and they will lose their coverage.

I'm not worried.
Go Zags!

VinnyZag
11-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Along with Dranginis, Bouldin, Bell, Violette, Knight, and Pendergraft. Anyone else?

Steven Gray, too, I believe.

Dranginis looked great last night. But, let's remember, that was against an NAIA school. And one that didn't seem too concerned with defense at that.

Not saying Dranginis won't be great, just saying that I'll wait to see him do it against an NCAA D-I team before I put him up there with Bouldin, etc.