PDA

View Full Version : Rice and Daniels

bigblahla
11-29-2012, 05:19 AM
The BSU Broncos have one senior and no guards under 6'2". Leon is building a heck of a program and really only needs a good big man to complete the process. Did we even have a sniff at Marks? Something is telling me we lost a heck of a recruiter when Leon left and the hole doesn't seem to have been filled by his replacement who has yet to prove his mettle at GU as far as recruiting goes.

Not knocking coach Daniels but where are his recruits? Who has he brought to GU? I haven't heard of anybody has anyone else? It's not just coaching you have to recruit and for a coach with the rep he arrived with his cupboard seems bare.

I think it's a fair question and should be open to discussion on this board without throwing coach D under the bus.

Can anybody shed some light on this situation?

Go!! Zags!!!

Birddog
11-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Not knocking coach Daniels but where are his recruits? Who has he brought to GU. I haven't heard of anybody has anyone else? It's not just coaching you have to recruit and for a coach with the rep he arrived with his cupboard seems bare.

Looks like a "knock" to me. Quack

jazzdelmar
11-29-2012, 05:26 AM
agree, daniels has not yet displayed his recruiting "mettle."

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-29-2012, 05:45 AM
I'm just happy for Coach Rice and Coach Rillie that they are building a winning program at a school that has not had much winning tradition.

Zag4Hire
11-29-2012, 05:51 AM
The BSU Broncos have one senior and no guards under 6'2". Leon is building a heck of a program and really only needs a good big man to complete the process. Did we even have a sniff at Marks? Something is telling me we lost a heck of a recruiter when Leon left and the hole doesn't seem to have been filled by his replacement who has yet to prove his meddle at GU as far as recruiting goes.

Not knocking coach Daniels but where are his recruits? Who has he brought to GU. I haven't heard of anybody has anyone else? It's not just coaching you have to recruit and for a coach with the rep he arrived with his cupboard seems bare.

I think it's a fair question and should be open to discussion on this board without throwing coach D under the bus.

Can anybody shed some light on this situation?

Go!! Zags!!!

Only bits I know: DD is and will always be awesome, he was definitely an integral part why GU got GBJ and look at the state of UCLA at the moment.

From the Spoke:

So many schools, at the high-major and mid-major level, talk about being like Gonzaga. Everyone wants to be Gonzaga. Its a good thing to aspire to. Ive admired how they go about things. I thought that if everyone wants to be Gonzaga, maybe I should work at Gonzaga.

cjm720
11-29-2012, 05:52 AM
He's gotten our name in the hat on a few Cali kids.

He's been instrumental in the development of the bigs.

My sense is that this forum and others assumed Daniels primary attention would be recruiting. I'm guessing it's secondary and in time it will pay off.

Zag4Hire
11-29-2012, 05:53 AM
I'm just happy for Coach Rice and Coach Rillie that they are building a winning program at a school that has not had much winning tradition.

+1 Yes I was very happy as well to see BSU take down Creighton and happy for the success of Coach Rice.

bigblahla
11-29-2012, 05:56 AM
agree, daniels has not yet displayed his recruiting "mettle."

Thanks for the spell check. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

zag67
11-29-2012, 06:09 AM
So I guess my question is if the cupboards are bare, who on the existing team do you remove? Who do you cut minutes? I do not see where you would improve what we have. Now in two or three years if we have not filled the cupboard, then I think you can ask the question. I think he is doing super with our bigs and we do not see the rest.

bigblahla
11-29-2012, 06:21 AM
So I guess my question is if the cupboards are bare, who on the existing team do you remove? Who do you cut minutes? I do not see where you would improve what we have. Now in two or three years if we have not filled the cupboard, then I think you can ask the question. I think he is doing super with our bigs and we do not see the rest.

No way to answer any of what you posed without seeming negative and that was not the purpose of my initial post. Probably should have worded it differently cause Bird is either making duck sounds or calling me a Quack.

However, I didn't say our cupboards were bare as in the team, I asked questions in looking for information and you answered with questions. To further my point in reading all that is brought before us as information about recruits when they are asked who from GU is recruiting them I don't recall hearing coach Daniels name mentioned much at all.

To me this is a more relevant topic to our program than whether or not Indiana is better than our Zags.

Go!! Zags!!!

Birddog
11-29-2012, 06:26 AM
Bird is making duck sounds
Think AFLAC

ridgebackzag
11-29-2012, 07:25 AM
He's been instrumental in the development of the bigs.

This is where I see the difference.

Birddog
11-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Much of what is posted on this board is speculation followed by repetition, which leads to undeniable truth. Here is a Bio on DD from his stint at Utah. I wouldn't sell him out just yet.
http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/daniels_donny00.html

zag944
11-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Recruiting is a team effort of course. Difficult to determine how much each guy on the staff has been instrumental outside of the Tommy Lloyd in Europe stories. I think the players we've brought in the last two recruiting classes are a big upgrade to the years previous, and I'm sure Daniels is a big part in that. How much better can we expect to do than a nucleus of Pangos, GBJ, Karno, Coleman, etc?

GoZags
11-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Zags are #12 in the nation and things are looking bright.

Seems like the perfect time to bag on a coach ..... particularly when the general public (including virtually every member of this message board community) don't have a clue as to what is really going on vis a vis recruiting.

Nevtelen
11-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Recruiting is a team effort of course. Difficult to determine how much each guy on the staff has been instrumental outside of the Tommy Lloyd in Europe stories. I think the players we've brought in the last two recruiting classes are a big upgrade to the years previous, and I'm sure Daniels is a big part in that. How much better can we expect to do than a nucleus of Pangos, GBJ, Karno, Coleman, etc?

That's my overall take on this. How can we really know who does what in terms of identifying, courting, and landing a recruit? There are a lot of steps there and how much reliable info does anyone really have outside of the players/staff? Even major recruiting sites are pretty vague about who recruited a kid for high-majors that get waaaaaay more recruiting attention than GU does, typically saying things like 'Coach X was instrumental in his recruitment.' What does that even really mean? Recruiting happens, basically, behind a big translucent curtain and we really don't know much about what really goes on.

adoptedzag
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
When did we hire Coach Daniels? Was it before we started taking interest in Karno? If so.... I think we know why no bigs from Cali were brought in. ;)

bigblahla
11-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Seems like the perfect time to bag on a coach ..... particularly when the general public (including virtually every member of this message board community) don't have a clue as to what is really going on vis a vis recruiting.

....and that's why I asked. But now that I know no one here has a clue I guess you've answered my question.

Not bagging on Daniels third time I've said it in this thread. You seem to be on the inside do you know of any of his recruits that are on the possibility board or are you as clueless as the rest of us? It's a question not a challenge.

I would appreciate your positive input.

Go!! Zags!!!

kclubfounder
11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
....and that's why i asked. But now that i know no one here has a clue i guess you've answered my question.

Not bagging on daniels third time i've said it in this thread. You seem to be on the inside do you know of any of his recruits that are on the possibility board or are you as clueless as the rest of us? It's a question not a challenge.

I would appreciate your positive input.

Go!! Zags!!!

stop bagging on coach daniels!!!

;)

bigblahla
11-29-2012, 08:18 AM
stop bagging on coach daniels!!!

;)

OK, Indiana is better than GU. ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

Bogozags
11-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Much of what is posted on this board is speculation followed by repetition, which leads to undeniable truth. Here is a Bio on DD from his stint at Utah. I wouldn't sell him out just yet.
http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/daniels_donny00.html

Thanks for the great find...interesting Bio. He sure has been in the trenches for a long period. No doubt a good "teacher" and seems to be well respected by the staff as well.

No doubt he has connections up and down the West Coast. I don't have knowledge of exactly why he was hired but am sure recruiting and teaching are both included in his job description. He has been a welcomed addition to the staff.

Someone in this thread mentioned Coach Daniels was involved with the recruitment of GBJ but I thought he committed well before Coach Daniels was added to the staff.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-29-2012, 09:28 AM
He was hired because he is a great coach! Mark Few has said that he respects him as a tactician, a recruiter, and a person who brings out the best talent in kids. Yeah, I might take Calipari as one of our assistants to do some recruiting. But somehow, I don't think that is going to happen. I think I will stick with DD until Calipari comes begging.

Zaglaw
11-29-2012, 11:17 AM

This+1

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Well said, GZ. +1

tobizag
11-29-2012, 11:44 AM
:yawn:

tinfoilzag
11-29-2012, 11:45 AM

Agreed. I'll get my torch and pitchfork.

Why didn't we get Cody Zeller, DD? WHY!?!

Kidding aside, we've had so many good bigs at Gonzaga lately that guys like Spangler are transfering for playing time.

Baseline
11-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have any information on our two big guys coming in next year. How is there season and game progressing.

I wonder how good Cody Zeller would be with DD coaching him?

Oregonzagnut
11-29-2012, 04:07 PM
OK, Indiana is better than GU. ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

BTW, "pump the brakes" and take off your "Zag colored glasses" because UVA is tattoo "tattoo free" and Seth Greenberg says "Zags will be playing for a National championship.

This board is great. Tacos AND Kool Aid all day long!!

Go Zags and beat LC by 50! (or 60)