PDA

View Full Version : For those who have missed the bus.

HillBillyZag
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Just to sit behind the plate at Washington Trust Field on a 70 degree July evening with a cool breeze fanning you and watch a moon down the right field line just like the one that wowed Cher in "Moonstruck" is well worth a $5.00(3.00 for Seniors) ducat. And to watch some great baseball being played by the Spokane RiverHawks is just icing on the cake.Those of you who have not been to Patterson Baseball Complex on the G.U. Campus have missed the bus. I rousted my aging bones up Hamilton for several Gonzaga U. games, and became hooked on the Zags new digs to a point that I became addicted to Spokane RiverHawks baseball also. Tonight (July 31) and tomorrow night (Aug 1) at 7:00 PM are the Hawks last two home games, if you are a baseball fan and/or a Collegiate sports buff you will spend a couple of hours of pure enjoyment. The brand of baseball is truly excellent(forthe most part) and the folks you meet are some of the nicest around. A lot of young families,which I love to see, as family baseball excursions are no longer the norm in the professional game due to budgeting requirements. The hot dogs and nachos are great and the theatre seating comfortable on aching backs. Irv Zakheim, the Hawks owner has done an outstanding job putting together an affordable, entertaining, and convenient baseball experience for the Spokane Community. Because of its non-profit status any revenue the RiverHawks receive above and beyond operating expenses is directed back into the Community and Youth baseball throughout our area. G.M.Steve Hertz and coach Barry Matthews have put together an exciting team to represent Spokane and our area of the Northwest. a very brief random glance at our Hawks roster will show you for instance: Casey Brett (sound familiar) of Cornell (Ivy Leaguer), and yes he is a relative of George.,Brian Winston, Cory Powell,Tyson (Rip) Van Winkle of the Zags,Jackson Evans,Craig Sitton, Brian Embery of the NCAA Champion OSU Beavers, some midwesern reps., ala Shawn Gizynski, Luke Farden, and Max Navalinski, of the U. Of Dayton Flyers,Greg Biagi, Dakota State, Bryan Horst and Phil Boscarino of UC Riverside and Travis Hill, an Arkansas Razorback,SOOWEEEEE........, And Chris Bozo from our own CC Spokane. That just a few of the great kids on the Hawks roster. The West Coast Collegiate Baseball League includes: Wenatchee Applesox, Bellingham Bells, Bremerton Bluejackets, Bend (Or.) Elks, Kelowna(B.C.) Falcons, Corvallis (Or.) Knights, Moses Lake Pirates,and our own Spokane RiverHawks. All of the rosters are chock full of some of the best Collegiate baseball talent in the Country.And if you can,t get out to Washington Trust Field tonight or tomorrow, highlight next years schedule when it is released for some great entertainment not the least of which is seeing a baseball complex that any University and most minor league baseball franchises would drool over. Go Zags, Go RiverHawks!!

HillBillyZag
08-01-2007, 12:44 PM
The HillBillyZag himself will be in attendance tonight at 7:00 PM when the Riverhawks play their last home game. I'll be the big ole fat fart with the Zag baseball cap and the Kentucky Wildcat Tee,courtesy of my youngest daughter Molly and my son-in-law Doug, both UK Alums and former Pep Band members. Have to show Cat colors now & then due to a bet I lost last season.