• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gozagswoohoo
    Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
    • Feb 2007

A couple random notes on current players and the GU record books

Yeah yeah yeah, I know I know, we're 6 games in, but I'm just messing around with some numbers for fun. BIG DEAL!!

But here are a few things I have calculated. DISCLAIMER (please note, I got a D in Algebra II my senior year of high school, and then got a D in college Algebra my first year of college, so I'm not going to act like I'm some math whiz. Some of these calculations could be wrong. They ARE rather complex)

So far, based on a 35 game season (alowing for 2 games in Vegas, and 2 games in the tourney <----I'm just playing it safe, so I don't over-inflate these numbers), we have a couple guys that have a shot at getting their names in the Top 10 of a couple categories in our record books.

Harris---At his current pace, he is on track to end the season with 549 points, 322 rebounds, 24 blocks, and 63 steals. Adding these numbers to his previous 3 seasons, that would leave him with:

1911 career points- THIRD all-time in points scored (just above Ammo)

1048 rebounds- SECOND all-time in career rebounds (1st is 1670, Jerry Vermillion from back in the 50's. Wow. That's ridiculous). But this total of 1048 would be over 100 more rebounds than Violette, and nearly 200 more than Turiaf pulled in. Also, his pace of 322 rebounds for this season would also put him TENTH all-time for rebounds in a single season.

77 total career blocked shots- That would be good enough for TENTH all-time in career blocked shots.

146 career steals- That would be SIXTH all-time, right behind Blake Stepp. I realize his steal numbers might be a bit inflated this season (on pace for 63, which is more than twice what he had all of last season), but still, he only needs a total of 32 this season to land himself on the Top 10 list for career steals.

Looking at all of that, it's EASY to see that Harris can and will go down as one of the best all-around zags to play here. Just awesome.

Pangos---At his current pace, he is on track to end the season with 427 points and 135 assists.

At that pace, Pangos could easily land himself in the Top 3 scoring in a career, if he stayed here for all 4 years.

He is also on pace for 45 steals on the season. Add that to last years total of 40, and he has 85 career steals after 2 years. Keep that pace for his final 2 seaons, and he would be second all time in career steals.

Also at that pace, he would land himself in the Top 5 all-time in career assists. I expect Pangos numbers to continue to increase during the course of his career though, so who knows where Pangos could end up. The sky is the limit for him, IMO.

Lastly, one other random stat, Stocks is averaging 3 steals per game. If he could keep up anywhere near that pace, he would easily be in the Top 10 for steals in a season. (current pace would put him SECOND all time, right behind another player with the last name Stockton. haha). I don't expect him to maintain 3 per game though, but heck, lets say he averages 1.5 per game from this point on, he would finish with right at 62, good for 4th all-time in a single season.

Anyways, like I said, I got bored, haha.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...
  • 229SintoZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

What's interesting

Is that both Ammo and Frank Burgess scored all of their points in just 3 seasons.

What is more interesting is that Burgess did it without a shot clock and without a 3 point line.

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

Thanks for all the work you put in to get this information. It was fun to read, and I have been wondering where Elias will end up on the All-time lists.
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• hooter73
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

Just think if E had have been interested in rebounding prior to late last year

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
          Is that both Ammo and Frank Burgess scored all of their points in just 3 seasons.

What is more interesting is that Burgess did it without a shot clock and without a 3 point line.
          Yes, exactly. Unreal. I noticed that Jim McPhee's name is ALL OVER the record books in just about every statistical category. It says he played 5 seasons. What's the story on that?

And no problem Reborn, I like messing around with things like this. Helps pass the time between games too. haha

Comment

• djdallaszag
            Bulldog Fan
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
            Yes, exactly. Unreal. I noticed that Jim McPhee's name is ALL OVER the record books in just about every statistical category. It says he played 5 seasons. What's the story on that?

And no problem Reborn, I like messing around with things like this. Helps pass the time between games too. haha
            He hurt his knee my freshman year there (87-88 season) and got an injury hardship. I swear most of his points came against Westhead's LMU teams. Those were some fun games to watch. McPhee must have averaged 40+ against them.

Comment

• bostonzagfan
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Oct 2011

i made a thread about harris and pangos and where they will end up on the all time lists about 2 weeks ago. and my elias harris thread from the night of osc, in the op i mentioned he will end up top 5 scoring and 2nd all time boards

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bostonzagfan View Post
                i made a thread about harris and pangos and where they will end up on the all time lists about 2 weeks ago. and my elias harris thread from the night of osc, in the op i mentioned he will end up top 5 scoring and 2nd all time boards
                Sorry I missed it!

And you're right djdallaszag, I see at least 2 games against LMU where McPhee dropped 42 on them! haha

Comment

• kitzbuel
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by djdallaszag View Post
                  He hurt his knee my freshman year there (87-88 season) and got an injury hardship. I swear most of his points came against Westhead's LMU teams. Those were some fun games to watch. McPhee must have averaged 40+ against them.
                  I remember one of those games at the Kennel, there was like 300 point scored.
                  'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                  - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• bostonzagfan
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Oct 2011

Sorry I missed it!

And you're right djdallaszag, I see at least 2 games against LMU where McPhee dropped 42 on them! haha
                    i didn't mean it that way, just that fellow posters didn't say a word before osc. probably because more people open a thread started by woohoo than by me haha

Comment

• rijman
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2009

1048 rebounds- SECOND all-time in career rebounds (1st is 1670, Jerry Vermillion from back in the 50's. Wow. That's ridiculous).
                      Today I was talking to a friend, much older friend from Montana, who played with Jerry for 2 years at GU. He said Jerry was an unbelievable rebounder and had a great hook shot too. He remembered one game against Oregon when Jerry had 15-16 rebounds in the first half, the 2nd half started and Oregon's best player, who later played in the NBA (I forgot his name), came out and attacked Jerry on one play and got thrown out of the game. Jerry ended up with 24 rebounds for the game. My friend says GU should retire Jerry's number.
                      It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X