PDA

View Full Version : Bilas ranks GU 9th

jazzdelmar
11-28-2012, 08:57 AM
9. Gonzaga Bulldogs (Previous week: No. 18)

This season, Mark Few has his best team in his time in Spokane -- and he has the best team in the West. Gonzaga has depth and balance as well as the ability to hang on the glass with any team in the country. Gonzaga is not just a team with a high skill level, it also has NBA size on its front line, quality bulk and athleticism. Moreover, Gonzaga has brought more of a defensive attitude this season. Kevin Pangos can get hot in a hurry, as he showed against Davidson, and Elias Harris is one of the top senior players in the nation. This team can get to Atlanta, especially this season.

ZagLawGrad
11-28-2012, 08:58 AM
:clap:

and

:eek:

Go Zags!

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Hmmmm... Jay doesn't usually drink the Koolaid... Interesting.

gamagin
11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
9. Gonzaga Bulldogs (Previous week: No. 18)

This season, Mark Few has his best team in his time in Spokane -- and he has the best team in the West. Gonzaga has depth and balance as well as the ability to hang on the glass with any team in the country. Gonzaga is not just a team with a high skill level, it also has NBA size on its front line, quality bulk and athleticism. Moreover, Gonzaga has brought more of a defensive attitude this season. Kevin Pangos can get hot in a hurry, as he showed against Davidson, and Elias Harris is one of the top senior players in the nation. This team can get to Atlanta, especially this season.

Thanks, Jazz. Hope JB's right. It sure looks like we have all the parts, certainly on paper and so far. How we matchup & dominate our positions and opponents, game to game, going forward, will be interesting.

Might be a few classics ahead. How we measure up in December under the lights. And in-conference, whether someone contains Delly vs. SMC or his equivalent elsewhere on the schedule.

Who leads consistently (besides EH at the moment) on the floor, during the battles, throughout this campaign, will tell the tale. And who picks up the gauntlet if/when the pressure is really on and runs with it.

Very exciting stuff & possibilities.

bigblahla
11-28-2012, 09:40 AM

Somebody's getting thirsty, somebody's getting thirsty. Huge amount of respect for you LIZF but I can't pass up a good tease. ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2012, 10:01 AM
The Koolaid looks good on the table. Not taking a sip yet. :D

Reborn
11-28-2012, 11:19 AM

I agree with you about Jay Bilas. This definitely catches my attention too. Especially his last sentence. Who are the 8 teams ahead of the Zags?

Oregonzagnut
11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree with you about Jay Bilas. This definitely catches my attention too. Especially his last sentence. Who are the 8 teams ahead of the Zags?

Even die hard ACC Big Ten C-USA guys know greatness when they see it. It pains him to place Gonzaga above 90% of the other big 6 schools, but he also knows basketball and ultimately he is as unbiased as they come.

When Hiester, Bilas, Vitale, Pomeroy and OZN all agree on something, it is something very real and not fiction or hype.

This year the hype is valid and being proven game after game.

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2012, 11:39 AM
To quote a Counting Crows song... "...its a long December..." this is a special team... But let's see where they are on 1/1/13.

Zag
11-28-2012, 11:53 AM
To quote a Counting Crows song... "...its a long December..." this is a special team... But let's see where they are on 1/1/13.

Singing victory songs at Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater, OK?

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Singing victory songs at Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater, OK?

Hope so.

bigblahla
11-28-2012, 02:37 PM
From Dickie V's chat.

Adam (Denver)
What do you think is the ceiling for the Zags this year? Legitimate Final Four threat?

Dick Vitale
(11:48 AM)
I absolutely think they are a legit Final Four contender. Mark Few does a great job with them and I love the backcourt of Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. Elias Harris does a super job up front. Yes, they are a legit contender.

Go!! Zags!!!

IrishZagFan
11-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Tried to look for you Reborn, but it is an ESPN Insider article.
Indiana was #1 and Louisville is #2, other than that......?

Link to front page: jay-bilas-ranks-nation-top-68-teams-college-basketball (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8683450/jay-bilas-ranks-nation-top-68-teams-college-basketball)

Angelo Roncalli
11-28-2012, 04:01 PM
I think we're doomed. I just read on BR that in head-to-head comparisons, BYU starters are better than GU's at three out five positions. It's written by a featured columnist, no less. Doomed.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1424269-byu-basketball-how-cougars-stack-up-against-gonzaga-position-by-position

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-28-2012, 04:05 PM
This team can get to Atlanta, especially this season.

J.B. realizes that the Final Four isn't held in Atlanta every year, right?

Mantua
11-28-2012, 05:41 PM
1. Indiana
2. Louisville
3. Michigan
4. Duke
5. Kentucky
6. Syracuse
7. Florida
8. Ohio State
9. GONZAGA
10. Michigan State

He indexed the top 68, but I'm really lazy.

UberZagFan
11-28-2012, 05:59 PM
When Hiester, Bilas, Vitale, Pomeroy and OZN all agree on something, it is something very real and not fiction or hype.

Nice grouping. Uber thinks OZN has more credibility in that list than Heister.

Reborn
11-28-2012, 09:17 PM
thanks for posting the top ten Mantua. Thanks for trying Irish....I got about as far as you....hahahahaha :)

My top ten are about the same as Bilas' accept I have Zags at 7.

MBZags
11-28-2012, 09:42 PM
I think we're doomed. I just read on BR that in head-to-head comparisons, BYU starters are better than GU's at three out five positions. It's written by a featured columnist, no less. Doomed.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1424269-byu-basketball-how-cougars-stack-up-against-gonzaga-position-by-position

That's probably the worst BR "article" I've seen. And, as we all know, that's saying something.

GoGU
11-28-2012, 09:42 PM

Lolz at the SG analysis. Clearly he hasn't actually watched a Gonzaga game this season. If you're going to say that Haws is better than Bell, at least do more than just look up their stats. I'm not sure that he realizes that Bell's defense would make Haws' numbers go down just a bit.

Oregonzagnut
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Nice grouping. Uber thinks OZN has more credibility in that list than Heister.

Thanks Uber, I'll take that as a complement since I usually am compared to pond scum around here.

Im glad I have possibly evolved into a single celled amoeba or dinoflagellate. At least I have self-motation now.

Zag4Hire
11-29-2012, 05:16 AM
From Dickie V's chat.

Adam (Denver)
What do you think is the ceiling for the Zags this year? Legitimate Final Four threat?

Dick Vitale
(11:48 AM)
I absolutely think they are a legit Final Four contender. Mark Few does a great job with them and I love the backcourt of Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. Elias Harris does a super job up front. Yes, they are a legit contender.

Go!! Zags!!!

If the Zags got a #2 seed or heaven forbid a #1 seed, he would be the first one opining about how bad the committee was and it is unfair to the lower seeded Syracuses and Kentuckys of the world.

bigblahla
11-29-2012, 06:52 AM
If the Zags got a #2 seed or heaven forbid a #1 seed, he would be the first one opining about how bad the committee was and it is unfair to the lower seeded Syracuses and Kentuckys of the world.

Don't think it will happen yet still funny and most likely true. Seems like we'll need a bigger band wagon if things keep going the way they are. I've always told Mrs.blahla the more the merrier when we're planning a party.

Go!! Zags!!!

combatcorpsmangulaw
11-29-2012, 07:34 AM
I really think it's in poor taste to be 'anointing' GU after 6 games in the pre-season. Bilas has credibility as opposed to Vitale, Phelps, and Greenberg. I have to laugh when former coaches, that were marginal at best, sit on their duffs and pretend they can predict which teams are going to win particular games.

When the odds favor their selection by 20 points in an upcoming game, they pick the favorite and then cheer themselves that they were right.

Let's see where the Zags are after 25 games --- then I'll be praising Bilas for a pre-season number 9 ranking. Until then, it's just B.S. from a person situated on television and being asked to 'say something to get everyone's attention".

sittingon50
11-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Don't think I would put Pearl in the marginal category, corpsman. He had/has his issues but as an x's & o's guy I think he's fairly strong

hockeyzag
11-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Let's see where the Zags are after 25 games --- then I'll be praising Bilas for a pre-season number 9 ranking. Until then, it's just B.S. from a person situated on television and being asked to 'say something to get everyone's attention".

+1

zagzilla
11-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Zags will play at least 11 games this season against teams currently in the Bilas top 68 (assuming we only play BYU twice). That is over 1/3 of our schedule and should help our RPI come selection time.

Gotta win those games but the opportunity is there.

We now root for WV, Clemson, OU, Davidson etc.. to take some scalps of their own.

Finally, I couldn't help but notice that SMC is nowhere on this list nor are any of their OOC opponents (However the 3-2 Akron Zips made it-LOL). As they like to say in Moraga: "In RB we trust" Good luck with that.

ZZ

combatcorpsmangulaw
11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Seth Greenberg wasn't a tremendously successful college basketball coach. Pearl was an excellent coach imo. Light years difference b/w the two.

Duke is a basketball factory w/ one of the best coaches to ever coach a college team. Thus far, Duke has defeated Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville and Ohio State. I can understand 'pundits' predicting Duke as a Number 1 Elite team (despite not playing Indiana).

We haven't played Kansas State, Illinois, Baylor, SMC (twice), BYU (twice) yet. Therefore, we have a lot of winning to do before anyone can announce how good a team we are and based on being good, how far we will go this season.

We all know that every team GU plays is gunning for us. They bring their best game and games are won on the court, not in the minds of television 'has beens' that couldn't gain fame or inordinate success when they were the head coaches of college teams.

I would love to see the Zags in the Final Four -- it would be a wonderful experience since I have been a fan since Marty Wall was our center and a good season was .500. (I also was a fan when John Stockton was playing at Prep).

So, I'm looking forward to a great season --- after we've proven on the court that we are as good as many people seem to think we are.

Baseline
11-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Have my fingers crossed about the zags chances, but if they beat Illinois I think I will start to gulp the cool-aid.

DixieZag
11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Have my fingers crossed about the zags chances, but if they beat Illinois I think I will start to gulp the cool-aid.

This. A decent victory over Illinois at home will be the step that I need to crawl on the FF bandwagon. It is a home game, though, one we should win. I think that our toughest games will be OSU, SMC (yes, even after two losses) and BYU on the road.