PDA

View Full Version : Power Forward for 2013-14?

bigblahla
11-27-2012, 05:54 AM
We'll need one when E leaves. No offense to young Mr.Meikle but as BZ stated in another post on a different subject it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to soon to expect any real contribution from him.

Sam just doesn't fit the bill as a fierce re-bounder and KO and the Karnivore can't do it all by themselves, hence the loss of Spangler was huge although some here can't see the forest for the tress. Coleman might rebound well but he doesn't fit the need, he'll be an undersized wing as it is.

Anybody hear anything or have a clue as to what we are going to do?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Go!! Zags!!!

2Zags3Pups
11-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Watching the OSC and the dominance that Harris displayed I was wondering the same thing. We could go with the twin towers in Olynyk and Karno, but that leaves the defense a little wanting against athletic PFs. Harris does so much from the point forward position that he has been running this year, tough to replace that.

cjm720
11-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Dower and a higly regarded recruit to come will fit the bill nicely.

bigblahla
11-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Dower and a higly regarded recruit to come will fit the bill nicely.

C'mon Sam isn't known for his rebounding or defense. Can he pick it up? We all hope so but there is no evidence that he will. Who is this mysterious highly regarded recruit you speak of as he isn't listed on any GU prospect chart I've seen.

Not arguing cjm just trying to be realistic. I can't imagine this isn't a major concern for coach and staff.

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
11-27-2012, 06:19 AM
I think Kelly Olynyk is going to be our power forward next year. Few is going to have to begin to bring in a power forward and Center next year for sure. I imagine he'll be looking at a JC power forward as well. Maybe someone like JP Bautista who played power forward his first year at GU. And if the Zags have a great season this year there might be a chance that we could recruit a 4* or 5* freshman.

Baldwinzag
11-27-2012, 06:26 AM
Something I don't care to think about, but may be the elephant in the room as the season progresses...

IF the Zags have a successful run in the Tournament and our two 7'1" bigs continue to emerge on the National Scene and flash big-time potential(which they certainly are doing)...they could both be swept up by NBA teams this off-season.

I know both have a long way to go, but their are only a handful, if that, of 7+ footers in NCAA D1 that can score, rebound, and move with decent fluidity...

it seems fellow/opposing teams, ESPN talking heads, and even NBA players are taking note of both...

All I'm saying is 7'1" players with big bodies who have soft touches aren't a dime a dozen and NBA drafts on potential.

Of all the players on our roster, pick two with the highest ceiling, in your opinions?

Yep, Kelly Olynyk & P. Karnowski. Hands down. NBA scouts are human too...

While I have a feeling both will stick around another year, no matter the circumstances, it will be up to THEM to decide, b/c the interest and opportunity will be there...

Above all else, enjoy the now. It could be gone sooner than we think.

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2012, 06:35 AM
the hardest part to replace regarding harris is the athleticism...we don't have someone to replace that aspect of his game. the scoring and even the rebounding to an extent can be replaced...kelly is a pretty decent rebounder and getting better and i expect the big pole to improve as well.

harris isn't a great defender, but he's gotten a lot better and his athleticism allows him to guard smaller quicker players that none of our other bigs can. harris can also match up with other athletic bigs, can the others? ...would be curious to know how well sam and kelly are able to handle harris in practice. i would think harris could drive on them fairly easily.

bigblahla
11-27-2012, 06:53 AM
I think Kelly Olynyk is going to be our power forward next year. Few is going to have to begin to bring in a power forward and Center next year for sure. I imagine he'll be looking at a JC power forward as well. Maybe someone like JP Bautista who played power forward his first year at GU. And if the Zags have a great season this year there might be a chance that we could recruit a 4* or 5* freshman.

The issue with standing pat is fouls to give in the paint we'd only have 15 to give between Olynyk, Karno and Dower. And KO might have a hard time dealing with a smaller quick athletic power forward like Cole Dickerson on "D". The fouls could add up fast. I don't think anyone here expects Edwards or Meikle to do anything other red-shirt. The loss of Spangler was huge in my mind even though some of the experts here think it was nothing. We need a another stud.

Go!! Zags!!!

Robzagnut
11-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Put Spangler in there... Oh wait, he's gone and some people said he wasn't needed.

zag67
11-27-2012, 07:16 AM
I agree with Gray and some of the others. Let us enjoy the team we have and yes think about the future, but do not panic. The coaches know what they have and what they will have. Therefore they are out recruiting (hopefully) what we need. Dower, KO and KP will be a solid set of bigs. THey do need one more (which could be one of our existing recruits) to take up some fouls. That is why the coaches get paid the BIG BUCKS. Like all of us (or at least most of us) know, it is more important to them than to us.

dnj116
11-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Although we are all certainly enjoying this team right now, I do think this is a pertinent question (for those of us who follow our recruiting).

Priority #1 is replacing Harris/Spangler with a top-end power forward. Of course, that's stating the obvious -- and if its obvious to us fans, then its fair to say Few realizes what he will be needing. More often than not, when there is a dire need for a position/player, Few & Co. seem to find a way to get the player we need. Hence, I have a lot of faith in the coaching staff, and I'd say they've done a perty good job, thus far. Excited to see who they bring in, though!

bostonzagfan
11-27-2012, 07:25 AM
I already made this this thread a week or two ago. "the need for a top 2014 big".

we can't waste the senior year of kevin and gary with below average bigs.

SteelCityZag
11-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Put Spangler in there... Oh wait, he's gone and some people said he wasn't needed.

Spangler was amazing with the rebounds, for certain, and I think we'll miss not having him next year. The question for me comes back to athleticism. Harris is a force and a tricky match-up because of it. Add ball handling and the ability to knock down the occasional 3, and it's going to take more than one guy to replace him.

zag67
11-27-2012, 07:36 AM
But you do have to say having KP, GB, Drango, and Coleman as a core team 2 years out is a great start for a to build on. We do not know whether both or neither of our new bigs will be part of the answer, but the coaches will have all this and next year to watch them and make good decisions using information versus speculation.

By the way, I also believe that we need to pick up 2 solid bigs (one that is athletic) next year. Also we are going to need a solid PG and wing to be "in training" for when the others graduate.

But first, I am going to enjoy this journey. Then this summer see what has happened for next year. Then enjoy next year's journey (because at my age you may not have many more), with anticipation for the following years.

Go Zags, you make the weeks enjoyable (win or lose), But winning makes me feel better.

bigblahla
11-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Ok lets wait and not worry what do we have to lose?

Or....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IBnfkcrsM ;)

I know it's not this bad but surprised by the opinion of some just wait until next year and everything is going to be ok. I still shudder over 2008 and 2010 recruiting. Hey BobZag any insight?

Go!! Zags!!!

zag67
11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
I am not saying that the "coaches" should wait. I am saying that we do not have any information to know. Looking into next year, I think we do know most of what we are going to have. The coaches may be looking for a solid 4 at a JC to come in to give us the transition or maybe even another big from Europe.

If you always worry about what is going to happen in two years, you will not enjoy what is happening now and next year. And I think that this team is going to be one that we will be talking about for many years to come. I am also hoping the same for next years team.

CDC84
11-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Don't be surprised if the Zags sign an athletic juco big man this spring. A guy like Kuso.

Birddog
11-27-2012, 08:07 AM
I know it's not this bad but surprised by the opinion of some just wait until next year and everything is going to be ok. I still shudder over 2008 and 2010 recruiting. Hey BobZag any insight?

So let's all get worked up over this. Perhaps the collective angst will be sufficiently palpable to the staff and they will respond favorably. They have probably overlooked this future hole in the team while concentrating on the present squad's free throw shooting. So much to do, so little time.

bartruff1
11-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Spangler was amazing with the rebounds, for certain, and I think we'll miss not having him next year. The question for me comes back to athleticism. Harris is a force and a tricky match-up because of it. Add ball handling and the ability to knock down the occasional 3, and it's going to take more than one guy to replace him. Spangler was the answer IMHO...damn... our chances of landing a 80% Harris are very remote.

Worthington
11-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Quite frankly, Sam Dower will be our starting power forward next year. If you think we're bringing in anyone better than him from a JUCO then I think you're reaching. We were all very high on Sam coming in to this season and he was playing well through his first 3 starts. I don't think an Olynyk/Dower frontcourt is a perfect fit, but it's still probably one of the better 4/5 combos in the country next year. No need to worry about Dower's offensive game, but it's going to be critical for Sam to really work on his deficiency's this year and into the offseason. Still a ways down the road...the 2014 recruiting class as a whole, now that's a major priority...

Zagdawg
11-27-2012, 08:40 AM
We make a run in the dance and we are going to have a pretty good choice of recruits to fill the 4 spot.

I'm in the camp that Few and the coaching staff have a pretty good idea who they need to fill the holes next year.

Can we petition the NCAA for one more year of Hart......you know ya gotta have heart to succeed in these rough times. :)

MDABE80
11-27-2012, 09:59 AM
TRUTH: We don't have one. Staff has to find one. They know Elias is gone. They are looking. They will find one.

CDC84
11-27-2012, 10:01 AM
BTW - I wasn't suggesting that the juco guy be a starter. But there are guys playing D-2 ball and juco ball right now who are vastly superior rebounders and defenders than Sam Dower. He continues to be awful in these areas.

Offense is a different story.

The team needs to add an athletic rebounding power forward to balance things out. It's not just Harris who is gone, but also Mike Hart. Mike might not play PF, but he's a terror on the offensive glass and an instant energy guy when he's out there.

cjm720
11-27-2012, 10:27 AM
C'mon Sam isn't known for his rebounding or defense. Can he pick it up? We all hope so but there is no evidence that he will. Who is this mysterious highly regarded recruit you speak of as he isn't listed on any GU prospect chart I've seen.

Not arguing cjm just trying to be realistic. I can't imagine this isn't a major concern for coach and staff.

Go!! Zags!!!

Players step up and recruits materialize.

bostonzagfan
11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
if we want a 2014 recruit we need to be in on the action now. i haven't heard much other than goodluck okonoboh (spelling?). and I think we will need some good luck to land him. right now the 2014 big man thing isn't looking great.

Worthington
11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Frontcourt minutes are going to be eaten up almost entirely next season by Olynyk, Dower, and Karnowski. I really just can't envision any JUCO big recruit that we get stealing minutes from those guys or making a real big impact for us. I couldn't agree more that we're going to be missing Harris' athleticism and rebounding, but all 3 of those guys next year have been tabbed as possible NBA quality guys so I think it's just on them to step up to the plate. The jury is still out on Dower's progression in my mind, he looked improved on defense to begin the year, but a bit lackadaisical in Orlando. He just needs a fire lit underneath him

zaglife
11-27-2012, 10:48 AM
If anyone is interested or cares...I know I am.... Luke and Bellermine will be playing here in Spokane against Gonzaga Prep on the 29th of December. I'll be there rooting him on and catching a glimpse of what our coaching staff see's in him.

Zagquette
11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Spangler was the answer IMHO...damn... our chances of landing a 80% Harris are very remote.

Well, Harris came out of nowhere pretty late in the year, so maybe we shouldn't underestimate the ability of the staff to find some diamond in the rough. They have been doing it for years. Which brings up another thought that Frashilla (sp) was talking about during the Davidson game. How unconventional is our recruiting approach for a top 25 team? From 1 (totally unorthodox) to 5 (not that different frOm other similar programs).

This may speak to our ability to find pieces that work late in the recruiting season.

Oregonzagnut
11-27-2012, 12:28 PM
I already made this this thread a week or two ago. "the need for a top 2014 big".

we can't waste the senior year of kevin and gary with below average bigs.

thats why this is our year in many ways. Even if we get bigs to sign, Pangos and Bell will be ahead of any freshman or JC transfer we get.

With KArno and Kelly developing together, I think the 4 will be filled by Kelly nicely if he wants to. Between Dower, Shrek, and Kelly, I see 13-14 as still very good.

BTB
11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Frontcourt minutes are going to be eaten up almost entirely next season by Olynyk, Dower, and Karnowski. I really just can't envision any JUCO big recruit that we get stealing minutes from those guys or making a real big impact for us. I couldn't agree more that we're going to be missing Harris' athleticism and rebounding, but all 3 of those guys next year have been tabbed as possible NBA quality guys so I think it's just on them to step up to the plate. The jury is still out on Dower's progression in my mind, he looked improved on defense to begin the year, but a bit lackadaisical in Orlando. He just needs a fire lit underneath him

Totally agree. We will not need a frontcourt player to step in and immediately make an impact next season, we just need someone who will be able to come in and eat fouls and show lots of potential for the future! I think we have one of the best frontcourts in the nation this year and next year we will still have an excellent frontcourt. Plus our guard play will be that much better next year. I am not worried even a little bit

BobZag
11-27-2012, 01:19 PM
No real info. Do know we are targeting overseas hard and are always looking for a quality transfer, some of whom are eligible upon arrival. Lots of options.

As for what we'll do after Harris leaves? Hmmm, probably look and play like we did before he got here.

Baseline
11-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Next year we have two bigs coming in, Ryan I believe from Montana and Mekile (sp). One is 7 foot the other is 6'8", so we will have all the bigs we need.

I see next year almost like this year, the difference being Harris being gone. Some drop of their, but that difference may well be made up for in growth of our other players. Personally I expect Kelly and Korno's growth alone to cover the gap.

DCZag
11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
TRUTH: We don't have one. Staff has to find one. They know Elias is gone. They are looking. They will find one.

^^What Abe said....^^

SteelZag
11-27-2012, 02:32 PM
WANTED: Gonzaga University Basketball team seeking big man for 2013-2014 and beyond. Applicant should be 6'9" or taller and have a 40" vertical. Willing to play with back to basket or face up. Must be willing to commit for 5years with a possible RS at any time. Strong defensive skills a must! Must be team oriented and play well with others. Special consideration will be given to players with rebounding stats of 15 rpg and those that can make 80% of free throws. Must not have fear of flying. Should own a heavy coat or two. Most importantly, applicants must have really thick skin, as (GU BOARD FORUMS) are notoriously relentless. Candidate must actually be pre-approved by said forum.
If interested, please call 555-GONZAGA. No texts or tweets. Serious inquiries only.
:allhail:

2Zags3Pups
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
I like where you are going with this SteelZag. If it is okay with you, I will copy that onto Craigslist and we should have somebody in no time. :)

Final4Zag
11-27-2012, 03:36 PM
No worries now

Pargo the Destroyer
11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Next year we have two bigs coming in, Ryan I believe from Montana and Mekile (sp). One is 7 foot the other is 6'8", so we will have all the bigs we need.

I see next year almost like this year, the difference being Harris being gone. Some drop of their, but that difference may well be made up for in growth of our other players. Personally I expect Kelly and Korno's growth alone to cover the gap.

One is by every definition of the term "project" and the other one is 180 lbs. That isn't going to replace Harris.

sittingon50
11-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Please work the academics into that.

SteelZag
11-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Please work the academics into that.

I'm pretty sure a player with the qualifications listed would expect someone attending classes for him.

willandi
11-27-2012, 06:11 PM
OMG!!! I just realized, WE HAVE NOBODY SIGNED FOR THE 2018 SEASON!!! WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

sittingon50
11-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Well of course Steel, that's a given.But there's a big difference between attending classes & being an able note taker, don't you agree?

:D

SteelZag
11-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Well of course Steel, that's a given.But there's a big difference between attending classes & being an able note taker, don't you agree?

:D

+1

bostonzagfan
11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
if karno goes pro, the 2014-2015 season we will be left with just meikle, edwards, and any 2014 bigs we sign + transfers. therefore we need either a top 2014 big who can start right away and a transfer who can start. if karno stays we could get by with just one of the two.

bigblahla
11-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Julius Randle is still available, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Go!! Zags!!!

dnj116
11-28-2012, 07:54 AM
WANTED: Gonzaga University Basketball team seeking big man for 2013-2014 and beyond. Applicant should be 6'9" or taller and have a 40" vertical. Willing to play with back to basket or face up. Must be willing to commit for 5years with a possible RS at any time. Strong defensive skills a must! Must be team oriented and play well with others. Special consideration will be given to players with rebounding stats of 15 rpg and those that can make 80% of free throws. Must not have fear of flying. Should own a heavy coat or two. Most importantly, applicants must have really thick skin, as (GU BOARD FORUMS) are notoriously relentless. Candidate must actually be pre-approved by said forum.
If interested, please call 555-GONZAGA. No texts or tweets. Serious inquiries only.
:allhail:

hahaha! You should make this an add on craigslist in Spokane, Seattle, and San Fran and see what kind of inquiries you get!