PDA

View Full Version : Coaches' Poll: #12

Angelo Roncalli
11-26-2012, 08:36 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/polls/

Reborn
11-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Wow! A five point jump. Congrats Zags. Keep it up.

23dpg
11-26-2012, 08:57 AM
OK St and Illinois are now both ranked.

But UCLA??????? Come on coaches (or low level assistants), watch the games!:argh:

johno
11-26-2012, 09:01 AM
How does St. Marys get eight votes after losing two games and Davidson just get one?

gu03alum
11-26-2012, 09:04 AM
How does St. Marys get eight votes after losing two games and Davidson just get one?

Randy Bennett is one of the voters this year.

gueastcoast
11-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Looks like #12 in AP as well if I am reading ESPN correctly.

KStyles
11-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Looks like #12 in AP as well if I am reading ESPN correctly.

Yep. Top 12 nearly identical with only Syracuse & Louisville flipped.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

MDABE80
11-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Jazz called the shot!!

jazzdelmar
11-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Jazz called the shot!!

tytyty....was nothing....

sittingon50
11-26-2012, 10:30 AM
You da' man!

Oregonzagnut
11-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Now all we have to do is keep winning and let the top 10 guys lose 1 game each!

Number 1, Here we come!

rennis
11-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Number 1, Here we come!

scary thought.

Zag@LMU
11-26-2012, 11:34 AM
what is the justification for Creighton being ranked above us?

tobizag
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
what is the justification for Creighton being ranked above us?

doug mcdermott

diabeticzag
11-26-2012, 11:53 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1011264/wink.gif

Kiddwell
11-26-2012, 02:03 PM
We're good, but the teams ahead of us aren't chopped liver. They're not liver and onions, either. Except for Creighton, we're probably where we belong. We just need to stay focused, take it a game at a time, and, for Fewie's sakes, HIT our free throws.

Oh, thanks :espn: for the national exposure. The Zags are now 6-0 at Orlanda, the first team to win the Old Spice twice.

:]

siliconzag
11-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I am returning from Vegas & had the privilege to watch the Bluejays in action. McDermott is virtually unstoppable. They have consistent 3 point shooting and fewer turnovers than the Zags. They don't have as much depth, especially at point. Grant Gibbs is the glue and has an incredible assist to to ratio.

About 2500 jay fans made the trip. They remind me of how Zag fans used to be in the days before we were spoiled and became cocky. Lots of rowdy enthusiastic organized cheering and enormous love and loyalty for all the players and coach. They are really grateful for GG, they have a lot of the Cinderella stuff going on. I saw GG take a dive for a ball that showed just how tough he is.

Bluejay fans have tremendous respect for GU. Many might even agree that the Zags are better. My opinion: Bluejays are slightly better. Bo Ryan was very praiseworthy of the jays. Most points against the badgers in 5 years!

Many Jay fans would love to play the zags even though most I talked to weren't as convinced they would prevail. Sad they don't play each other. Whassup with that Mr. Roth?

Great article below:

http://m.omaha.com/om/pm_23098/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=uJbzvWp8

HillBillyZag
11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
It's great to see GG being successful and happy. He's a great young man and a darn good guard, but I'm forced to agree with another poster who stated truthfully that his untimely and rather serious injuries slowed his development and speed to a point that he would get little floor time on this Zag team. Truth be know?, were I a betting man?, I would wager that Coach Few had a lot to do with GG ending up a Bluejay and blending in to a precise offense that's within his physical limitations.

Baldwinzag
11-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Bluejay fans have tremendous respect for GU. Many might even agree that the Zags are better. My opinion: Bluejays are slightly better.

Nice post, Sili.

Thanks for sharing your experience and sounds like you had an excellent time in Vegas. Fun to watch hoops in Sin City.

Apparently, the Associated Press and Coaches agree with you -- as Creighton is higher than us in both polls.

While I think we have just as good of wins, if not better, yet they are clearly deserving of their ranking.

-- People can't underestimate how good of win it was vs Davidson last night. They are a NCAA Tourney team and will win their conference. They handed it to Vanderbilt and an improved West Virginia squad. Also, don't sleep on Clemson in the ACC. Their new head Coach is a defensive mastermind and gets the most out of his players. They destroyed every team they played before AND after us in the OSC. They are big up front, can defend, and athletic at all spots. I think it was a very good win and they will upset some folks in their Conference.

Creighton hasn't really been tested, yet they haven't really played anyone either -- Wisconsin was picked in middle-of-the-pack in the Big 10 this season and lost their top two players from last season. A Bo Ryan coached team is always competitive and they got some nice young talent on the team, but aren't even expected as a NCAA Tourney team this year. Arizona St was 10-22 last season and one of the worst teams in Pac-12, while they return quite a bit, they're improved, but still not good.

I'd argue that West Va, Oklahoma, Clemson, & Davidson (who returned their Top-8(98%) scorers from last season) would all compete and/or beat Wisconsin and all would spank Ariz St.

My only thing is Creighton doesn't play anyone UNTIL Conference play begins and the MVC is tough, but Zags face 3 ranked opponents in December and another in January (maybe another if Baylor returns or K-State cracks the polls)...

If these teams played head-to-head, the home team would win...on a neutral floor, I think Zags are 8-15 pts better, just from a offensive & defensive depth standpoint...and this is coming from someone who is hard on this team.

23dpg
11-26-2012, 03:01 PM
This is an actual AP ballot from this week. I assumed the writers at least kept up with the games.

Rank Team Agree Higher Lower
1 Indiana
2 Ohio State
3 Duke
4 Louisville
5 Florida
6 Syracuse
7 Michigan
8 Kansas
9 Kentucky
10 Michigan State
11 North Carolina State
12 Arizona
13 North Carolina
14 Creighton
15 Oklahoma State
16 Colorado
17 UNLV 0
18 Cincinnati
19 UCLA
20 Marquette 0
21 Missouri
22 Notre Dame
23 San Diego State
24 Wichita State
25 Florida State 0

caduceus
11-26-2012, 03:27 PM
This is an actual AP ballot from this week. I assumed the writers at least kept up with the games.

http://i.imgur.com/HMQr9.gif

ridgebackzag
11-26-2012, 03:30 PM

Davidson lost to Milwaukee and a tough NM Lobo squad (they are one of my cinderella picks this year if they make the dance) before we played them. I'm guessing that loss to Milwaukee puts a lot of doubt in peoples' minds. A terrible loss.

Zag@LMU
11-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Rank Team Agree Higher Lower
1 Indiana
2 Ohio State
3 Duke
4 Louisville
5 Florida
6 Syracuse
7 Michigan
8 Kansas
9 Kentucky
10 Michigan State
11 North Carolina State
12 Arizona
13 North Carolina
14 Creighton
15 Oklahoma State
16 Colorado
17 UNLV 0
18 Cincinnati
19 UCLA
20 Marquette 0
21 Missouri
22 Notre Dame
23 San Diego State
24 Wichita State
25 Florida State 0

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/CharacterMaster/Gif/angrypandasmash.gif

btzag
11-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Creighton and Arizona are the two question marks for me. Creighton probably won't play a top 25 team all year unless another MVC team sneaks in so just how good are they? Lots of hype and a weak schedule doesn't do it for me.

And talk about hype...Arizona comes to mind. An overhyped team last year turned into an NIT disappointment. Sooo they bring some more hyped recruits and are back to the top 10 without proving a thing. Unlike Creighton though they get a couple tough tests so we'll see how those play out.

Personally I like the ESPN Power Poll as it is all engaged voters who actually watch games. Zags @ 10.

gu03alum
11-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Is Gonzaga ranked too low? (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors/_/date/20121127#9079)

We currently have Gonzaga at No. 10 in our updated ESPN.com Power Rankings but Ken Pomeroy lists the Zags at No. 2 behind Indiana on KenPom.com. If Gonzaga can come up with wins against Illinois, Baylor and Oklahoma State in December, don't be surprised if the Zags work their way into the Top 5 by the start of the new calendar year.

tobizag
11-27-2012, 07:36 AM
We currently have Gonzaga at No. 10 in our updated ESPN.com Power Rankings but Ken Pomeroy lists the Zags at No. 2 behind Indiana on KenPom.com. If Gonzaga can come up with wins against Illinois, Baylor and Oklahoma State in December, don't be surprised if the Zags work their way into the Top 5 by the start of the new calendar year.

:cheers:

Birddog
11-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Too much radar! I don't like it.

U Zig, I Zag
11-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Too much radar! I don't like it.

No sh#t. Makes me nervous.

Gonna start #zagsoverrated hashtag on Twitter - maybe blame it on Samhan. When things start to get hot, he'll take the heat.

GUZag08
11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Something that I'm tiring of is hearing Gonzaga fans say that they dont like it when we are ranked high, and prefer us to be in the low 20s or not ranked at all so there will be no pressure. They complain when they hear Seth Greenberg say that we are going to play for the national championship.

If we want to make the next step as a program, we need to be able to live up to expectations. I want this team to be ranked as high as possible, even if we may not be as good as number 7 or 8 in the nation.

In the end, it comes down to recruiting. And when Gonzaga is on ESPN, I want potential recruits to see the number 10 next to our name, and hear commentators talk about us making a final 4 run.

rennis
11-27-2012, 01:26 PM
gonna start #zagsoverrated hashtag on twitter - maybe blame it on samhan. When things start to get hot, he'll take the heat.

lol